Unhappy with HD-600s.
May 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #61 of 97
To tell you the truth, I think that is the ONLY reason I didn't like it. But a headphone that is built very well, is open, has great bass, is super comfortable, and has open soundstage has me all over it. The DT990 was so freaking bright I really couldn't like it. Almost makes me wish they had a version of it that had treble more along the lines of the HE-4 or something. That would be quite amazing, and probably my favorite headphone that isn't an ortho.

Totally understood. The treble is just.... not gonna win many fans, lol. I was fine with it, but yeah it's hard to recommend without a disclaimer.

May 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #62 of 97
Have you heard the T1, that might be more to your liking? I would suggest the DT880 on a good tube amp but you'd never believe me! :wink:

The HE-4 is like a supercharged DT880. Probably the best midpoint between the 880 and either a T1 or HE6.

May 15, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #64 of 97
Quote:
I love my HE-4. Blows the socks off all the mid-fi Beyers. I think as an 880 owner, you should REALLY look into them, just make sure you have some serious power to juice them.

I'm not huge of orthos and I would likely go with the HE-6 for neutrality but I'm waiting to see if Audeze bring out an LCD-3 with a more forward treble and subdued bass, that I would be interested in.

May 15, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #65 of 97
Quote:
I'm not huge of orthos and I would likely go with the HE-6 for neutrality but I'm waiting to see if Audeze bring out an LCD-3 with a more forward treble and subdued bass, that I would be interested in.

The HE-500 is known to be more neutral than the HE-6, why not go that route? But then again, waiting for the LCD-3 is also fun...
wink_face.gif

May 15, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #66 of 97
Quote:
The HE-500 is known to be more neutral than the HE-6, why not go that route? But then again, waiting for the LCD-3 is also fun...
wink_face.gif

Well I'd have to hear them... I see the HE-4 as a side step and consider the HE-6 in T1 territory, and look at the T1 as slightly improved DT880, but then do I really want more bass. The LCD-3 is just a speculation, but with recent events in headphone world, that being after 50 some years a new level of audio has apparently been achieved there is no saying what's around the corner. A couple years back I speculated that some time in the future we will don a headphone and not know the difference between being at a personal audition and wearing headphones. Perhaps even a headphone that can replicate an auditorium or a reference room. But I'm just dreaming! 
redface.gif

May 16, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #67 of 97
I  sold my hd600 a while a go, went for the k701, hated it, bought a dt 880 pro 250, this one started to irritate me after a month,  then bought the hd600 again this saturday. I fell in love with them instantly, they sound perfect with my fiio e7&e9 combi. I don't hear the "veil" that people are talking about. As a matter of fact comparing them to the dt 880 pro right now, the dt 880 sounds somewhat similar only a bit brighter. The only reason I am getting rid of them is the comfort, they are way to loose for my head and the coiled cable is to damn heavy. The biggest difference is that the the dt880 immediatly tells you if a track is poorly mixed or mastered, it wil sound like trash.  But thats what they were made for to do.

May 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #68 of 97
I also noticed that my HD595s seem very mid-heavy. This can come off as a bit muffled-sounding, I know. However, I'd give them a few days to burn in before just selling them. I'm going to let mine burn in for a few days before I pass judgment. I did notice that guitars were much more engaging with these cans, but that cymbals and vocals lacked a certain clarity. I think it's in the 15K+ range, where that airiness in the sound comes from, that these cans could use a boost. Try tweaking your EQ (mainly just a treble boost, maybe a slight thinning of the bass, but primarily a treble boost) and see if they sound more engaging to you.

May 17, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #69 of 97

Quote:
I also noticed that my HD595s seem very mid-heavy. This can come off as a bit muffled-sounding, I know. However, I'd give them a few days to burn in before just selling them. I'm going to let mine burn in for a few days before I pass judgment. I did notice that guitars were much more engaging with these cans, but that cymbals and vocals lacked a certain clarity. I think it's in the 15K+ range, where that airiness in the sound comes from, that these cans could use a boost. Try tweaking your EQ (mainly just a treble boost, maybe a slight thinning of the bass, but primarily a treble boost) and see if they sound more engaging to you.

Tweaking the EQ definitely just made my HD-600's a lot more enjoyable. Usually I don't tweak it too much, but this time I just went a little crazy with it.

I created not exactly a V curve, but a slight and shallow U and it sounds pretty good!

May 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #70 of 97
Glad I could help. Sadly, my Yamaha Receiver only has Treble and Bass settings, so I can only do so much to tweak mine, but I will in time.

May 18, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #72 of 97
I've compared both the HD600+HD650 cables and the DT880 Premium 600 ohm on a $900 tube amp.

Results:

HD600: More neutral, much more bass impact.

DT880: Too much treble.  Cymbals didn't sound right. Slightly muddy bass.

May 18, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #73 of 97

Quote:
Tweaking the EQ definitely just made my HD-600's a lot more enjoyable. Usually I don't tweak it too much, but this time I just went a little crazy with it.

I created not exactly a V curve, but a slight and shallow U and it sounds pretty good!

In that case you might want to try the DT990.  It might be too bright, but it's worth a shot, it's definitely in the right direction for you. 

Any other headphones have a bit more bass and treble than the HD600? 

EDIT:  I think the HE4 would likely be a great headphone for you.  It is supposed to have a slight V shape like this, and it's going to have sharp, fast, detailed treble with a lot more clarity than the HD600.  I say go for that. 

May 18, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #74 of 97

Quote:
In that case you might want to try the DT990.  It might be too bright, but it's worth a shot, it's definitely in the right direction for you. 

Any other headphones have a bit more bass and treble than the HD600? 

EDIT:  I think the HE4 would likely be a great headphone for you.  It is supposed to have a slight V shape like this, and it's going to have sharp, fast, detailed treble with a lot more clarity than the HD600.  I say go for that. 

Don't confuse more treble with clarity and speed.
eek.gif

May 18, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #75 of 97
Quote:
I've compared both the HD600+HD650 cables and the DT880 Premium 600 ohm on a $900 tube amp.

Results:

HD600: More neutral, much more bass impact.

DT880: Too much treble.  Cymbals didn't sound right. Slightly muddy bass.

This is dependent on your source, you mentioned a "$900 tube amp" but what source were you amplifying? I have found the HD600s to have more mid-bass bass, so yes, you could say it has more impact. However I find the DT880 to have more extension and texture in the bass, which I find much more neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back