Undeceive about AKG.
Dec 14, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #16 of 26
the K241 is just a rebranded Sextett as far as I know.  If you really wanted to collect all their models I suppose you'd want it, but the K240 Sextett is the more significant headphone if you're looking at their whole product line.  The same is true for the K242 and the K250 and a lot of others. 

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
Not as tilted towards the highs as the 70X, though. I'd say more balanced in that regard. Someone described them to me as a cross between the k240M and the k501. Forgot to mention they do great with classic rock... IMO, of course

Yeah I personally have no interest in a headphone with that description.  Not to discount the DF, it gets a lot of praise which I'm sure is well deserved, that's just not something I am looking for, but I'd like to hear them regardless.

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #19 of 26

Yes, I recall that you like quite a bit more bass in your phones than I do. :wink: FWIR they aren't as light and airy as the 50X or 70X. The 70X is too light and airy for rock as far as I'm concerned....possibly the 50X is too.  Of course I'm only talking subjectivity here...there IS no objective better or best. If you ever get a chance to listen to the DF I'd love to read a comparison to some of the other vintage AKG's.
quote:
Quote:
Not as tilted towards the highs as the 70X, though. I'd say more balanced in that regard. Someone described them to me as a cross between the k240M and the k501. Forgot to mention they do great with classic rock... IMO, of course

Yeah I personally have no interest in a headphone with that description.  Not to discount the DF, it gets a lot of praise which I'm sure is well deserved, that's just not something I am looking for, but I'd like to hear them regardless.

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #20 of 26

Quote:
^^ The Parabolic series, the K-300/301/401/85 and other two older models (60s). here one of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeWIMYVKbLE

Man, the phones in that video are awesome!  They look like they are stripped down robo-cop headphones.  All metal and parts and no shell.  What model are those?

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #21 of 26
It's true I need vintages. mostly its due to the fact I've just been picking up whatever I can find on amazon & other sites for whatever price I was able meet at the time. went back to the city today & found a shop with a display of the Green Q701 which looks nice, but I found a pair of 501's & the sextett since the 450's seem to be dying (starting to sound more muddy then a pair of Sony MDR-V150) for 80eu & 100eu online so I'll give those a shot due to the deciding factor of this selection being price range. I wrote all the recommended models down so I can also build up on the vintage side of the collection. Don't know why I didnt come here sooner, you guys are quite awesome.

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #23 of 26
Sorry it took so long, the shipping here seemed to be backed up. I grabbed a pair of 530's just to see what they were like aswell since theres so many mixed impressions. I've recieved those & the 501's the sextetts are still in the mail, so comparing these two... (The 501's are already broken in, while the 530's are 20 hours in)

K501: Slightly less comfy then the 530s, but due to no Port. Amp since I didnt bring the one I use for my 701... They sounded good but not what I expected them to be. Everything was crisp & overall really good.

K530: Outve the box these sound equal to $15 headphones but given sometime they start to sound much better. Like all AKG's try playing a low quality/ highly compressed audio file & all the abnormalities start appearing. The sound is airy & open but overall it's a Gem in the Entry Level Lineups. Still dont come up to par with even the K450 Though.

Since information on the 530 is pretty lacking... They look quite stylish (I had to use the 13yo kid of the family im staying with to model them, shhh!) they look too white online but inrl its not so bad.

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
K240DF for acoustic jazz

of course!  Forgot about those babies.  I've never heard them actually, but don't have tons of interest with so many descriptions of them being bright and bass light, which is why I don't like the K501 too much.  Would still like to sometime though.  I also added the K280 and K290 just because they're part of AKG's innovative past. 

The K290 is probably the one AKG I still miss owning, after necessity forced me to liquidate my collection. Not that I have any money to go buying more headphones again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back