[unboxing] KEF LS50 Wireless
Dec 25, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #256 of 344
Quick question regarding the LS50W. does everyone plug each speaker into a seperate power outlet? Would i run into issues if i tried to run them both off a single outlet with a surge protector?

i ask as i only have 2 mains outlets in my room and im trying to figure out if i can also power a powered sub and/or tv, or if i would need to have extra outlets installed?

There will be no issues plugging both LS50W speakers to the same power strip connected to a single power outlet. That's how I've set up mine, and I haven't run into any problems.

Dec 26, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #257 of 344
I'm torn between KEF LS50W or KEF LSX for my 50m2 living room. The environment would not be ideal. Will LSX is sufficient? In headphone, I'm very happy with 1p2. Music wise mainly jazz classical and instrument. For Christmas, I got 25% discount on LS50W while LSX is 18% from local store. Since environment is not ideal, would not be used for critical listening, but at least should be enjoyable. This gonna be my first purchase on speaker so please help me to choose :)
For that room size you might need LS50W + sub

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #258 of 344
question gang: has anyone had room treatments done..bass traps or wall / celing diffusers/reflectors put in?
were they worth it in the end?

i am asking as my audiophile friend says they really do make a difference and i'd be looking at $1k or so if i was go get a configuration installed
(corner bass traps, a few ceiling reflectors, and side wall panels) for my 13 wide by 23 deep open space.
place is pretty bright (not much paintings on walls, or rugs...yet) with min furniture.

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #259 of 344
question gang: has anyone had room treatments done..bass traps or wall / celing diffusers/reflectors put in?
were they worth it in the end?

i am asking as my audiophile friend says they really do make a difference and i'd be looking at $1k or so if i was go get a configuration installed
(corner bass traps, a few ceiling reflectors, and side wall panels) for my 13 wide by 23 deep open space.
place is pretty bright (not much paintings on walls, or rugs...yet) with min furniture.

Acoustic treatment is the best way you can spend your money for SQ. Absolutley worth it and .a massive difference. You never really listen to just speakers, you always listen to speakers in a room. I can't recommend treatment enough. #1 most overlooked thing in stereo audio.

Start by treating your first reflection points. Hearing is believing.

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #260 of 344
thanks!

the thing is right now i'm renting and so don't wish to spend too much on such esp if i move i'll have to most likely
sell the gear (different configs etc)...i'd love to get some of the vicoustic or gk gear (lovely aesthetics!) but $$$.

so you'd do side wall reflections first...then corner basstraps?
what of the ceiling diffusors or reflectors?
i'm just trying to find a one time solution without breaking the bank
and covering most of the bases.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #261 of 344
the thing is right now i'm renting and so don't wish to spend too much on such esp if i move i'll have to most likely
sell the gear (different configs etc)...i'd love to get some of the vicoustic or gk gear (lovely aesthetics!) but $$$

I'd say the cost is worth it, it will definitely make a huge difference. Much more than cables, lossless formats, DACs, even amps. Having demoed my LS50W in untreated and fully treated rooms they sounded like completely different speakers.

Yeah it's pretty expensive for the professionally constructed stuff but I'd say it's worth it. Unlike electronics they won't break down on you and Will last a lifetime. They will also hold a reasonable resale value. I've got some GIKs and they are very good build.

Other alternatives I looked into are DIY panels (if you are handy and have the space and skills to construct them) or used off gumtree/eBay for collection. I got my GIKs from thier EU EBay B-stock store at about half price. Slight imperfections or returns prevents them selling it as new but they are essentially the same panels. I rewrapped them in acoustically transparent Camira fabric (I think it's Guildford of Maine in the US) to go with the colour scheme.

Renting may prevent you from drilling into the walls, but you could easily stack them on top of a little riser or box, or even another panel to get the right height.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #262 of 344
Hey team,

I've had the LS50w for about 50 hours. They do sound fantastic and I'm going to keep them. However, I'm having trouble getting the bass to sound really good. It seems whenever they try to put out sub-bass it gets muddy. Any tips?

I have a 11x10x8 room, which is pretty close to square. A couple of the corners of the room get a lot of bass, and there is a dead spot in the center of the room.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #263 of 344
Hey team,

I've had the LS50w for about 50 hours. They do sound fantastic and I'm going to keep them. However, I'm having trouble getting the bass to sound really good. It seems whenever they try to put out sub-bass it gets muddy. Any tips?

I have a 11x10x8 room, which is pretty close to square. A couple of the corners of the room get a lot of bass, and there is a dead spot in the center of the room.

I expirence the same thing whenever I set bass extension to 'extra'. At the end of the day the LS50W has a 5.25inch midbass driver but can pump out a solid 40hz. Theres only so much a small driver can do and there is a compromise with the midrange clarity in my expirence.

I found it was someone compensated by the increased clarity i got through acoustic treatment, but the only real solution is to get a sub to handle the down and dirty frequencies and free up the LS50W midbass driver to exclusivley handle upper bass and above.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #264 of 344
I expirence the same thing whenever I set bass extension to 'extra'. At the end of the day the LS50W has a 5.25inch midbass driver but can pump out a solid 40hz. Theres only so much a small driver can do and there is a compromise with the midrange clarity in my expirence.

I found it was someone compensated by the increased clarity i got through acoustic treatment, but the only real solution is to get a sub to handle the down and dirty frequencies and free up the LS50W midbass driver to exclusivley handle upper bass and above.

Thank you. So are you thinking it's more of a sub thing than a room-correction thing? I have my dad's sub that I could try out, just need to get a cable.

Jan 25, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #265 of 344
Thank you. So are you thinking it's more of a sub thing than a room-correction thing? I have my dad's sub that I could try out, just need to get a cable.

It could be that the producing the low frequencies are just interfering with the midbass drivers ability to produce clearer mids. If the bass is muddy it could be the room which can be corrected for with acoustic treatment or room correction software, ideally both. To get a real idea you'll need a USB microphone and REW software to measure your room response.

By all means get the sub out, see if it makes a difference. It's always good to use a sub.

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #266 of 344
It could be that the producing the low frequencies are just interfering with the midbass drivers ability to produce clearer mids. If the bass is muddy it could be the room which can be corrected for with acoustic treatment or room correction software, ideally both. To get a real idea you'll need a USB microphone and REW software to measure your room response.

By all means get the sub out, see if it makes a difference. It's always good to use a sub.

The mids actually sound fantastic, it's just the bass that seems to get muddy. I'll try out the sub and report back

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #267 of 344
I am running my LS50 Wireless set with a Kef 30B 12" sub from around 2000. IMHO, the LS50 needs some sub underpinning to support the base.
I also run a LS50 passive stereo set that are underpinned with 2 REL S2 subs - provides good tight impact base support.

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #268 of 344
I had the same experience with the bass. It was not bad for a bookshelf speaker but I missed something in the lows. It performed best on high volumes but I have kids so I didnt play a lot on that volumes. For that reason I sold my LS50W and bought the smaller LSX. Does a great job in my room and for the lows I will buy a subwoofer. The LSX with a subwoofer is cheaper than the LS50W and I think (for me) I get a better sound.

Jan 26, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #269 of 344
I am running my LS50 Wireless set with a Kef 30B 12" sub from around 2000. IMHO, the LS50 needs some sub underpinning to support the base.
I also run a LS50 passive stereo set that are underpinned with 2 REL S2 subs - provides good tight impact base support.

I've auditioned the LS50W in a conditioned room and it really does sound very good...for what it is for a 2 way bookshelf.

I still find that my passive speakers...soon to be discountinued Kef R300 for the music genre I often listen too is a speaker that does not need to rely on active matched subwoofers.

The LS50W looks stealth for a clean looking setup. Issue is lack of control in swapping DACs. For background casual listening I wouldn't mind a set of the LS50W. The R300 darker nature sounds more natural and real to life over the LS50 IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back