[unboxing] KEF LS50 Wireless
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #271 of 344
For the LS50W is there a recommended Windows 10 driverdto use?

The driver from the KEF support site is dated 2016 from C-Media. By default Microsoft installs it's own audio driver dated 2018.

The C-Media one seems much louder but other than that I'm not sure what the differences are.

Any thoughts or has anyone compared the two anywhere?

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #272 of 344
Around the 16:00 is relevant to the discussion but the rest is good too. Also the ELAC Argo B51 Wireless is looking to compete with the LS50W.

I recently owned the LS50W and loved it. Then decided to A/B test them with Elac Navis ARB51 powered speakers (previously known as Argo). I now use the Navis because for sound quality the Elac speakers won the A/B test. If you have a preamp and good DAC the Navis are amazing. Bigger, fuller and richer sound vs LS50W. LS50W is an all in one solution so it's sends everything through it's internal dac. That's something to consider if you have a turntable and want to keep your vinyl playback in the analog realm. The Navis doesn't have an internal dac so it won't digitize your analog signals.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #273 of 344
Hi All,

Newbie here so apoloigies for anything that may be basic.

I have an LS50 Wireless, and I am using Spotify Premium right now using the app on my Iphone.

I want to have Tidal MQA, and see that the latest version of Tidal now supports this on IOS. Is it simply a case of using the Tidal wireless app to stream Tidal Masters now to the LS50W?

I also have a Windows 10 PC connected to the LS50W via the PC cable. If I get the Tidal desktop app, would it be a case of using say a Dragonfly USB Dac, and then connecting the PC via that DAC to my LS50W? I see the Iphone Tidal HiFi app is £25.99 / month due to the premium Apple place on the app.

What is the simplest way I can get Tidal Masters lossless on my speakers please?

Thanks

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #274 of 344
Hi All,

Newbie here so apoloigies for anything that may be basic.

I have an LS50 Wireless, and I am using Spotify Premium right now using the app on my Iphone.

I want to have Tidal MQA, and see that the latest version of Tidal now supports this on IOS. Is it simply a case of using the Tidal wireless app to stream Tidal Masters now to the LS50W?

I also have a Windows 10 PC connected to the LS50W via the PC cable. If I get the Tidal desktop app, would it be a case of using say a Dragonfly USB Dac, and then connecting the PC via that DAC to my LS50W? I see the Iphone Tidal HiFi app is £25.99 / month due to the premium Apple place on the app.

What is the simplest way I can get Tidal Masters lossless on my speakers please?

Thanks

Download the PC app from Tidal, not Apple (cheaper). I am happy playing Masters (24/96 first unfold) with this path:

Windows PC > iFi USB conditioners > LS50W.

Spend any extra money on tuning your listening room (lots of ideas on line).

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #275 of 344
Thank you Peter - appreciate the response.

But what if I want to listen to the sold called "ultimate" Tidal Masters MQA 24/192 Hi-Res tracks? How would I do that from Laptop to LS50 Wireless? Is it possible even?

Thanks

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #276 of 344
But what if I want to listen to the sold called "ultimate" Tidal Masters MQA 24/192 Hi-Res tracks? How would I do that from Laptop to LS50 Wireless? Is it possible even?

Thanks
You will need an MQA decoding DAC.
I tried my Meridian Explorer 2 into the RCA sockets on the LS50W... I preferred the sound of the Masters without the DAC in line.

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #278 of 344
Just ordered a pair of the LS50W. Could not be more excited to set them up and try them out.

Let them break in for at least 100 hours (as recommended by KEF) before any critical listening. Next try the KEF settings for your speaker positions - trial and error.
In my small listening room I have 10 acoustic panels (2" Rockwool panels in the corners and reflection positions), and I set the treble to maximum and the bass to -5db.

Sweet!

Apr 14, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #279 of 344
Strange question— power outage yesterday while playing KEF LS50W. (Surge protector)

When power was restored, the power KEF speaker has static & distortion when the volume is raised.

Did power reset & button reset to no avail.

I fear it’s fried.

Any recommendations?

The passive speaker is fine & I love these things. I don’t think the powered is sold alone.

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #280 of 344
Strange question— power outage yesterday while playing KEF LS50W. (Surge protector)

When power was restored, the power KEF speaker has static & distortion when the volume is raised.

Did power reset & button reset to no avail.

I fear it’s fried.

Any recommendations?

The passive speaker is fine & I love these things. I don’t think the powered is sold alone.

sorry to hear this...i'd contact kef tech support for their imput

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #281 of 344
What sub are you guys using successfully with the KEF LS50Ws?

I want to integrate a sub to free the KEFs from having to play the very low bass frequencies but my previous attempts using an Adam Audio 8 sub have been unsuccessful ....it is a cheaper sub and just simply sounds boomy unless I turn it way down almost to the point of not being there at all. I do not want to spend a fortune on a sub, perhaps something second hand might do....any suggestions?

Also what settings do you guys use on your sub integrations?

Apr 21, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #283 of 344
Hi, has anyone experienced a ticking sound after unplugging? It's happening on the left speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back