[unboxing] KEF LS50 Wireless
Dec 11, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #241 of 344
I am considering getting the ls50 wireless to use with a MacBook pro via USB. If you use the USB connection, the amp and dac working is the one from the kef speakers, not the laptop itself correct? Would USB be the best way to get the highest quality sound from these connected to a MacBook? Also as far as adding a chord mojo or Hugo into the setup, would it provide better sound, or should I stick to the internal Kef dac/amp? Thanks

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #243 of 344
Mojo has only 3.5mm analog output.
My guess is MBP via usb/optical to mojo via minijack to LS50w would be the best sounding route!
I tried Mojo's different digital inputs several times and to me the usb input is best. I use a Wireworld or Furutech usb cable!

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #244 of 344
And if I was to add a mojo or Hugo to the setup, which connection would give me the best quality? 3.5mm or optical? Sorry for all the questions, I'm fairly new to the speakers world

see here: a few articles here if you open and scroll down.
https://darko.audio/?s=KEF+LS50+wireless
ethernet is best connection to kefs...their native app sucks
i use Roon/Tidal (since they're now Roon ready)

also lots on google search"
https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C...StJjfAhWQ0VQKHYDXC30QBQgpKAA&biw=1280&bih=922

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #245 of 344
I have the KEF KUBE 2 b (12) and it is something special.

It is very powerful but understated. It makes acoustic bass gorgeous and although it can rattle your fillings, it does not over modulate nor lose its musicality.

I said that KEF LS50W may not need a subwoofer, but once added, I can't imagine not having it. It is spoiling.

The balance between the two (LS50W and subwoofer) is terrific.

We tested classical and some heavy bass stuff.

i agree bud...once you go quality subwoofer to any system with monitors it's hard to go back.

heck i might be adding a 2nd sub to experiment ..you know see if it's true about the 'duals being better than 1' theory ...
smoothening, taming the bass and take care of those nulls in my med to larger sized room...will might add a few bass traps/diffusor panels, too.
my sub is the svs sb2000....i can get a 2nd sub piano gloss finish from my seller in toronto (mint, bstock was unboxed for US$635 shipped/taxes in).

so if i don't like it I can always sell it for near the same cost.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #246 of 344
I'm torn between KEF LS50W or KEF LSX for my 50m2 living room. The environment would not be ideal. Will LSX is sufficient? In headphone, I'm very happy with 1p2. Music wise mainly jazz classical and instrument. For Christmas, I got 25% discount on LS50W while LSX is 18% from local store. Since environment is not ideal, would not be used for critical listening, but at least should be enjoyable. This gonna be my first purchase on speaker so please help me to choose :)

Dec 12, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #247 of 344
I'm torn between KEF LS50W or KEF LSX for my 50m2 living room. The environment would not be ideal. Will LSX is sufficient? In headphone, I'm very happy with 1p2. Music wise mainly jazz classical and instrument. For Christmas, I got 25% discount on LS50W while LSX is 18% from local store. Since environment is not ideal, would not be used for critical listening, but at least should be enjoyable. This gonna be my first purchase on speaker so please help me to choose :)

best to go have a listen side by side...i'd only use the lsx as computer speakers myself.
otherwide ls50w with a nice sub is the way to go.

Dec 12, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #248 of 344
And if I was to add a mojo or Hugo to the setup, which connection would give me the best quality? 3.5mm or optical? Sorry for all the questions, I'm fairly new to the speakers world
Thought the whole point of wireless is to use bluetooth or wifi

Dec 12, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #249 of 344
Thanks Canali.... i dont have chance to try side by side... the the reason for asking. Its not ideal living room with 3 years old son running around. So ls50 is thr way to go?

Dec 12, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #250 of 344
best to go have a listen side by side...i'd only use the lsx as computer speakers myself.
otherwide ls50w with a nice sub is the way to go.
50 m2 is a large living room. If you want to fill the room, I am not sure a ls50 is enough.

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #251 of 344
Well i tend to be background music most of time when my family is in the house and only start doing listening when i’m alone.... which is rare.... i’m debating myself because of this :) The 2nd possible room is about 30m2. Pricewise i’m comfortable with lsx due to situation above but i dont want to be dissapointed, should be good enough.

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #252 of 344
My LSX is fantastic for a small room and without need for a separate woofer (for pure music use) but not sure it would fill a large room adequately compared to LS50W. You'd really have to have a listen. Every review to-date (over 10 I've seen now) rightly state the LSX are superb and punch above their size.

Dec 21, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #253 of 344
My LSX is fantastic for a small room and without need for a separate woofer (for pure music use) but not sure it would fill a large room adequately compared to LS50W. You'd really have to have a listen. Every review to-date (over 10 I've seen now) rightly state the LSX are superb and punch above their size.

good to hear it man...enjoy...i'm using a pair of sonos play 1 speakers (got 'em mint for a deal: $150 pair...looking at stands as well for $55)
so it's for my desktop/kitchen table (dual purpose)....regardless i'm going to go and have a listen to the kefs today or tomorrow.
the price diff would be 6-7x...unsure if the sq would be that much of an improvement.

Dec 21, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #254 of 344
I look forward to hearing to LSX myself. My good buddy had LS50 (the very first version available, black&gold) and I was impressed by those. Now I'm on a lookout for something similar but smaller and highly likely might end up with LSX if they're as good as people say...

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Dec 24, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #255 of 344
Quick question regarding the LS50W. does everyone plug each speaker into a seperate power outlet? Would i run into issues if i tried to run them both off a single outlet with a surge protector?

i ask as i only have 2 mains outlets in my room and im trying to figure out if i can also power a powered sub and/or tv, or if i would need to have extra outlets installed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back