[unboxing] KEF LS50 Wireless
Oct 15, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #212 of 344
I am using the original iPurifier and the Original iPower in series with my USB feed to the LS50W. I also have ferrite collars on all my interconnects (Ethernet/USB).
I owned all these components before I bought the LS50W.

I cannot say with certainty that they make any difference, as my Windows system has never showed signs of interference or distortion.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #213 of 344
thanks...i have one svs sb2000 sub (in piano white to match the kefs) ...now considering adding a 2nd (same) sub for more even bass distribution and to get rid of the nulls/peaks/dips (whatever it's all called)

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #214 of 344
thanks...i have one svs sb2000 sub (in piano white to match the kefs) ...now considering adding a 2nd (same) sub for more even bass distribution and to get rid of the nulls/peaks/dips (whatever it's all called)

I suggest you do a bit more research on how to connect and integrate two subs to the KEF LS50W before deciding to invest in a second sub. I bought a second SB12NSD connected via Y-splitter to the speakers a couple of months ago and until now, I haven't quite figured out how to properly level-match and configure a dual sub setup so I've left the other sub unused for now since it's actually easier for me to tweak a single sub to sound right with the LS50Ws and the room. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong.

On another note, I just saw this interesting interview of Andrew Jones talking about actives vs. passives and the guy really makes sense about the two sides.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #215 of 344
I suggest you do a bit more research on how to connect and integrate two subs to the KEF LS50W before deciding to invest in a second sub. I bought a second SB12NSD connected via Y-splitter to the speakers a couple of months ago and until now, I haven't quite figured out how to properly level-match and configure a dual sub setup so I've left the other sub unused for now since it's actually easier for me to tweak a single sub to sound right with the LS50Ws and the room. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong.

On another note, I just saw this interesting interview of Andrew Jones talking about actives vs. passives and the guy really makes sense about the two sides.

------------------------------------

thanks. i saw that interview with jones a while ago, but didn't see the whole thing...will watch it in entirety later.

what do you mean y can't level match them? i thought the volume would be the same between them...or am i not understanding?

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #216 of 344
what do you mean y can't level match them? i thought the volume would be the same between them...or am i not understanding?

In my near field desktop setup, the relative placement and orientation of the subs affected each sub's acoustic room/corner response where one sub was noticeably louder than the other even if the settings were identical. I had to lower the gain setting on the other sub almost to the point of having no output and I wasn't even sure if the bass sounded balanced. I have very limited space so I don't have much flexibility on finding the optimal positions for the subs. It was much easier for me to position and dial in the settings for one sub only to get the most even sounding bass from my listening location.

I'm still planning on figuring out a way to do dual subs properly though. It's just that I'm pretty happy with what I've got at the moment.

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #217 of 344
ok i get it...but what about the bass...i hear it's more uniform,less boomy with less nulls etc?
i'm considering a 2nd sub but i rent in a home...if i have to leave to an apt or other in future i'll inevitably have to sell it.
(as you know most condo/apt dwellers hate subs)

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #218 of 344
ok i get it...but what about the bass...i hear it's more uniform,less boomy with less nulls etc?
i'm considering a 2nd sub but i rent in a home...if i have to leave to an apt or other in future i'll inevitably have to sell it.
(as you know most condo/apt dwellers hate subs)

From what I recall, I honestly couldn't accurately tell whether the having dual subs made the bass response have less nulls or peaks because bass sounded quite uniform and not boomy with one sub to begin with. It was just that with two subs, the sum of both subs' output made the bass more prominent.

Of course, this was in my case and your setup and room are different from mine so YMMV on dual subs.

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #219 of 344
Yep, just ordered a set of black KEF LSX, released yesterday in UK. No idea on shipping time yet. Its a mini LS50W at half the price !!

products_lsx_black_square_480x480.jpg

First video review by Darko

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...239D4051FB56FA458093239D4051FB56&&FORM=VRDGAR

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #220 of 344
nice, congrats.
i saw that Darko review yesterday
..these would be good for a small room, kitchen or desktop or a more limited budget of course.
...am interested in these to replace my sonos 3 in kitchen.

btw, what colour did you get?

please do share your impressions once set up.

enjoy!

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #222 of 344
Getting the Black ones. Really like the Green & Blue but ultimately needs to fit with my décor so gone safe with the Black.

Just had KEF update that UPS are delivering mine on Monday. Booked Tuesday off work to set-up & have a good play.

I was actually about to order a set of LS50W for £1629 but really too large for my rooms. My lounge is only 4m x 4m and my gaming/music room where they are going is only 2.5m x 2m.

Speakers to go each side of monitors

20181103_123938_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #223 of 344
Arrived and installed using some dense foam yoga block for RHS as stand for anti-vibration and height levelling.

Totally balanced sound with ultra clear mids, impactful but not over bearing or muddy base and nice tingly treble. Certainly no need for a separate woofer in my room. Speaker version of my SE846's :)

Tidal fully integrated with KEF App and the best sounding with Tidal Master tracks. Currently Spotify only works connected via BT but still sounds great as does optical from PS4Pro and even 3.5mm out of my PC's onboard sound.

Total simplicity to set-up.

Photo from listening position on sofa.

20181105_122701.jpg

Only issues I'm finding at the moment is the KEF Streaming app for Tidal account where the next song sometimes seems to take a while to start playing and the physical remote next/previous buttons don't do anything when playing Tidal (play/pause does). Not tried tracks on my NAS DLNA yet.

These will not replace a good 5.1 system for movies but seem to be awesome for music. For my room size they seem perfect & can't image how they could be improved to be honest.

Just went straight to using cable link between the pair (24/96) not wireless (24/48) so don't know If sounds any different wireless.

With some tracks its like I'm in the bar listening live ! Can't believe the impact of the base for the size.

Massive volume potential. Its loud for me at 52%. I'm in a detached house but anything over 65% is unbearable to my hearing (as I said, my room is only 2.5mx2m)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #224 of 344
Nice!! I'm also interested in the LSX. Hope they will be available soon in the Netherlands.

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #225 of 344
If i use computer as source playing dsd or other format file and output via usb to my audiolab M-Dac+, and then rca out to ls50w, will the sq be benefited adding an external dac for my case? do it bypass the internal dac of ls50w? The M-Dac+ can decode dsd but ls50w cannot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back