[unboxing] KEF LS50 Wireless
Nov 7, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #226 of 344
Read my posting and others too....using the RCA input from an external DAC you do not bypass the internal DAC in the KEFs but for some reason it definitely sounds better ....to my ears and with my DAC at least

Try both setups and decide for yourself

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #227 of 344
If i use computer as source playing dsd or other format file and output via usb to my audiolab M-Dac+, and then rca out to ls50w, will the sq be benefited adding an external dac for my case? do it bypass the internal dac of ls50w? The M-Dac+ can decode dsd but ls50w cannot.

As guido has already explained above, the internal DACs are not bypassable due to the active DSP design of the speakers. The RCA inputs go through an ADC step but the good thing about the LS50W's ADC, DSP and internal DACs are that they're high resolution (24-bits 192KHz) and very transparent so that the sound signature of any source connected is quite audible including outboard DACs. Actually, I have a Rega P3 turntable hooked up to it and I can very much hear the distinctive analog sound of vinyl through the LS50W.

About the LSX, I'm pretty disappointed that it doesn't have a USB input seeing that these would make ideal desktop computer speakers. I can definitely tell that the USB connection sounds superior to the WiFi and Bluetooth connections on my LS50W.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #228 of 344
Getting the Black ones. Really like the Green & Blue but ultimately needs to fit with my décor so gone safe with the Black.

I was actually about to order a set of LS50W for £1629 but really too large for my rooms. My lounge is only 4m x 4m and my gaming/music room where they are going is only 2.5m x 2m.

Speakers to go each side of monitors

Hi,

Where can you get the LS50W for £1629?

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #231 of 344
Read my posting and others too....using the RCA input from an external DAC you do not bypass the internal DAC in the KEFs but for some reason it definitely sounds better

This has been my experience as well.

Fed via RCA, the LS50W manages to retain the positive sonic qualities I've grown to love from my external DAC. Direct from USB by contrast, the speakers sound a little harsher in the upper-mids and a little more digital.

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #232 of 344
Went to the iEar audio show in the Netherlands this weekend to hear the LSX. They were demoed alongside the LS50w. As much as I liked the bigger LS50w I was not happy with the sound of the LSX. I heard a demo in a large crowded room as well as in a small room. Each time I heard the LSX there was an annoying resonance to the sound. And each time they sounded rather nasal. I came to the conclusion these are not for me.

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #233 of 344
Went to the iEar audio show in the Netherlands this weekend to hear the LSX. They were demoed alongside the LS50w. As much as I liked the bigger LS50w I was not happy with the sound of the LSX. I heard a demo in a large crowded room as well as in a small room. Each time I heard the LSX there was an annoying resonance to the sound. And each time they sounded rather nasal. I came to the conclusion these are not for me.

We all hear things differently. Five main reviews now on the net and all giving full marks describing them as little wonders.

Haven't stopped listening to music since I got them, and now have full Roon Endpoint & Spotify Connect.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #235 of 344
I have a white pair. It is great speakers. I also bought a kef sub to complement the bass.

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #237 of 344
Really in doubt to sell my KEF LS50 Wireless and buy the KEF LSX with subwoofer (kube 10b?) for the same price. Which one / combination would sound better?

doubt kef would sell some new speakers at 1/2 the price of their big brother, thinking just adding a sub would make them sound similar.
my suggestion, bud: get a sub for your ls50s....i have the svs sb2000 and that just makes the whole SQ sing so much more.
love that added meaty bottom end.

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #238 of 344
doubt kef would sell some new speakers at 1/2 the price of their big brother, thinking just adding a sub would make them sound similar.
my suggestion, bud: get a sub for your ls50s....i have the svs sb2000 and that just makes the whole SQ sing so much more.
love that added meaty bottom end.
Thanks! Yes I thought about that, but then I need to spend more money. If I sell my LS50W for around 1500,- (?), I can buy back the LSX + kube10b (or similar priced (second hand) subwoofer) for that money.

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #239 of 344
Really in doubt to sell my KEF LS50 Wireless and buy the KEF LSX with subwoofer (kube 10b?) for the same price. Which one / combination would sound better?

Your better off experimenting with passive LS50 and a nice tube amp and roll tubes or test different Dacs. However I prefer my Kef R300 a lot more than the LS50w or original passive. More presence in analog realism over the ls50.

LSX has zero appeal to me as it’s for smaller form factor. If the ls50w had a analog bypass to use other sources rather than integral stock dac I’d consider the wireless version.

Lots of alternatives in the audio world.

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #240 of 344
I had a 5.0 setup (2 towers, center, 2 bookshelf) with receiver. Reason I changed to the KEF LS50W is that I wanted it more clean (less equipment, cables, etc..). So not planning to go back.. Placing a extra subwoofer is not what I intended, but sometimes a miss that litte bit extra in the low. Also thought to buy desktop stand (Isoacoustic Aperta for example) to improve the sound? A lot of choices and alternatives indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back