Unamped Sennheiser HD 598
Mar 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #31 of 72
Mine sound decent on my laptop....but really stage up
with my Headroom Supreme amp. It really gives punch to the bass and opens up the sounstage.

Mar 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #32 of 72
Im probably in the minority but to me the HD595 and HD555 didn't improve at all with an amp. They just took on the amps characteristics. They sound perfectly fine without an amp IMO. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #33 of 72
I can honestly say that the factory front panel jack on my Dell Inspiron 518 is a decent headphone amp on its own.

There are some sources that can drive less efficient cans well without a discrete amp. As audio tends to be preferential, one may not care or notice the difference between a source with and without an amp.

Go with what sounds good.

May 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #37 of 72
The centrance dacport improves the sound coming from the laptop's onboard, it is a nice portable solution. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #39 of 72
Quote:
Hey guys, I just ordered a pair of Senny's 598's and I have an http://http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR505&class=Receiver&p=i and I was wondering if it would do the job as an amp? or should I buy an actual amplifier. If I have to, what are the best options for a clean and flat response? I have around 100$ budget ;p.

Fiio E17? ive heard good things about that combo, any amp your buying remember that the output impedance(of the amp) should less that or equal to 1/8 of the headphones ohm rating 

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #40 of 72
There's really no need for the e17. An entry level amp like the e10 or e11 would suffice for the 598s. And even then, you really don't need an amp. When i had them, i ran them out of my phone and ipod all the time and they still sounded great. They really are not hard to drive at all.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #41 of 72
Quote:
There's really no need for the e17. An entry level amp like the e10 or e11 would suffice for the 598s. And even then, you really don't need an amp. When i had them, i ran them out of my phone and ipod all the time and they still sounded great. They really are not hard to drive at all.

IMO the E10 or E11 is actually worse than straight from say a Sansa Clip+. The E5 is actually not a bad choice since it doesn't make the mids of the 598 muffled.
The E10 makes the HD-598 too fatiguing in the mids for whatever reason.

For the HD-598 I like the Fiio E9, E5 and Total Airhead.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #42 of 72
I am currently looking to purchase the HD 598 for use with an iPhone/iPod Touch. Should I purchase a portable amp, like the Fiio E17? Or a lower E10/E11 model?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #43 of 72
Quote:
I am currently looking to purchase the HD 598 for use with an iPhone/iPod Touch. Should I purchase a portable amp, like the Fiio E17? Or a lower E10/E11 model?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

The E17 ive read is the best combo for the hd 598, people say they sound horrible with the e10(darker) and e11. also the e17 has both a dac and an amp 

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #45 of 72
Quote:
I have the HD598 unamped at the moment and they sound fine to me through my iMac. (On my older PC, I hear a lot of static and mechanical noise. I'm sure it's just my audio card and I just need a DAC, but I listen mostly on my mac anyways...)

I've so far been very thoroughly impressed with the soundstage on these headphones, but the bass is very weak on them. I'll be buying a new amp for my DT990/600 soon and I'll let you know if the improvement is really that impressive... but the HD598 actually don't even sound bad out of my iPhone or my Samsung Galaxy Nexus... :S (All of my music is flac/alac at good bitrates, though so YMMV...)

Checked  your profile. You have amps and dacs listed??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back