Unamped Sennheiser HD 598
Jul 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #50 of 72
really? im running out of an ipod and hardly noticed a difference with the e11

I ran my 558s (same driver) from iPhone 4s and iPad 3 with a Fiio e7 (now e07k). Depending on what I was playing, there was an improvement but it was fairly small in most cases. When I moved to the Aune T1 there was a BIG difference. The depth of sound, soundstage, and music detail really came out. They seemed like new headphones. Of course the Aune is a desktop hybrid unit. If you need a portable unit like the Fiio, the difference amped vs. unamped is less dramatic (at least with the e7, which is entry level dac/amp).

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:
I ran my 558s (same driver) from iPhone 4s and iPad 3 with a Fiio e7 (now e07k). Depending on what I was playing, there was an improvement but it was fairly small in most cases. When I moved to the Aune T1 there was a BIG difference. The depth of sound, soundstage, and music detail really came out. They seemed like new headphones. Of course the Aune is a desktop hybrid unit. If you need a portable unit like the Fiio, the difference amped vs. unamped is less dramatic (at least with the e7, which is entry level dac/amp).

agreed, im getting a Benalli HA540 and it sounds fantastic

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #54 of 72
i have this great cans and sounds so faded and dark from an external asus xonar u3 usb audio card, also from my laptop motherboard sound card it souns simple and nothing wow, do you guys thing with an additional dac + amp e17 + e09k will bring this cans to life?

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #55 of 72
i have this great cans and sounds so faded and dark from an external asus xonar u3 usb audio card, also from my laptop motherboard sound card it souns simple and nothing wow, do you guys thing with an additional dac + amp e17 + e09k will bring this cans to life?

I have had these cans for little over a month now and have tried them with no amp from iPod, a fiio e11, and the bellari. I really like how they sound. The e11 had very little effect compared to being unamped. with the bellari i think i just like the tube sound. as far as the cans, to me the mids are forward, the treble is nice if not ever so much recessed and I prefer the arguably anemic bass. If they sound muddy or faded i would check your music sources and that all the drivers are properly installed. With your setup I personally don't see any reason to go with fiio. They are a decent start for amps and Dac's but your setup is not far at all from, certainly better than a naked iPod which to me sounds fine though has definite room for improvement. if your sources are good, your drivers are good, and you still feel they sound "off" they probably just are not the right cans for you IMO. Before you write them off try them elsewhere, at an audio store or at a friends just in their computer to see if they still sound blah, could tell if it is a hardware issue.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #56 of 72
i like what it sounds and i love this cans, best i ever have, they are quite musical, but my question is if deserve or not to invest in an additional dac+amp, will they really shine with it? because you see this cans costs ~250$ and my amp/dac asus xonar u3 costs ~35$ and maybe the asus can't make it reach it's true potential because may be limited by source

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #57 of 72
i like what it sounds and i love this cans, best i ever have, they are quite musical, but my question is if deserve or not to invest in an additional dac+amp, will they really shine with it? because you see this cans costs ~250$ and my amp/dac asus xonar u3 costs ~35$ and maybe the asus can't make it reach it's true potential because may be limited by source

Got you. I really like the tube sound with them. If you can I would go to an audio place and listen to a few ss and tube amps. I find fiio to be mediocre, creek audio makes good ss amps though. I don't have any experience with Dac's so can't really say there.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #59 of 72
Another HD 598 owner here, vouching that they sound good amped, and better with a dac/amp combo. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back