UM2 reborn since months of laying!
Jul 15, 2007 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

countach

100+ Head-Fier
Yes!, how couldn't guess it before?

My UM2 started to get unbalanced almost a year ago. Every thread I read talked about bringing them to Westone labs to change their filters, as this is an operation you couldn't do by yourself.

I even e-mailed to Westone to confirm that, and they told me it was the only way to fix them, to send them.

Shipping IEMs from SPAIN is not as comfortable as from USA is. The customs, all other risks... you know.

In the meanwhile, I got the Etys ER4, and become a Ety fan. Then, they got unbalanced too, but, as they carry the filter replacing tool... I changed the filters by myself and... ¡brand new Etys!.

So, then... I looked closely to both UM2 and Ety microfilters thinking... "holy cow, those thingys looks exactly the same..."

And in a brave decision, I inserted the Ety Removal Tool inside the UM2 tube, screwed, and pop the UM2 filter out!

It was not green, but white. Never mind. I picked a green Ety microfilter and it went inside the tube almost perfectly. I repeat the operation with the other side.

So, here they are. My Westone UM2 alive again with green Ety filters!

WHY THIS COMPATIBILITY IS NOT REFERRED BY NOBODY, even encouraging not to do it? I could have fix them months ago!

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Well, nevermind. I'm happy again with my UM2.
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 15
Yeah you don't hear it being mentioned. But they are the changeable between, Shure, Westone, and Ety. I think the filters even come from the same manufacturer. The only difference between them is the damping characteristics...

Ply

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 15
Most of the filters do accoustical shaping so they may sound different. You might be on too something. Someone has already repacked the ety filters and put them back in. I remember them saying they got a bit warmer sound they liked better. Maybe the UM2 can be given a little more Ety clarity. I think many people would really like the UM2 with a bit more clarity or a bit more treble coming through.

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 15
Well, the sound seems to be exactly like before.

But the main point of this is that it is not needed to bring back the UM2 to Westone headquarters to replace the filters.

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 15
Westone replaced my white UM1 filters with green ones.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 15
yeah. don't forget, westone used to make shure's iems...
until shure decided to go overseas...

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for posting this! I'm going to give this a try as I've had the filters replaced twice on my older pair of my UM2's (I have two and one will be for sale soon). I'll post my results! Again thanks!

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #8 of 15
It's weird, I was totally convinced that I had to sell the UM2, and encouraging others not to buying overseas only because of that 'filters' reason.

But now this is my most recommended IEM, even if the ER4 are better, but not for everybody, as people tend to love the bass headed sound of the westone.

I insist in the need of a good source an EQ, too. UM2 are wild and have to be tamed.

Now I no longer have intention to sell them, as they are a perfect complement to the Etys ER4, and love to enjoy them when listening trance, for example.

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 15
My ETY4 filter kit arrived and I easily replaced both filters in my UM2's. They sound perfect and work now just as they did new.

This is really terrific as shipping the headphones to Westone for a filter replacement is just a pain and they might even charge you for the service.

Many thanks to Contach for this thread! All UM2 owners should be made aware of this filter replacement procedure!

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 15
This thread deserves a bump. Doug, Dale, where's the UM1/2 filter replacement kit?

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 15
did someone here say the shures,westone and ety all have similar filters and that the ety filter fitting tool works with the shures aswell,if so what shures in particular because my se530 could be due a service soon,id hate to have to send them in if not neccesary

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #13 of 15
Just to confirm that I did this same trick with some UM1s which no one else seems to have tried, yet. Not surprising given how similarly the 2 models are, but I thought i should just confirm. It was quite fiddly and the screw didn't seem to want to catch for ages, but eventually caught hold enough for me to pop the filter out. It wasn't a very gentle operation.

Being based outside the US (UK) like Countach, this has resurrected my otherwise useless IEMs that wouldn't have warranted sending off to Westone.

Cheers Countach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back