UM Global Deal - The lucky 25 (All slots filled so please stop PM'n me to join)
Mar 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #991 of 1,228
HM-801 with balanced module can output both balanced and single-ended. since i don't have a balanced cable for Miracle, i am actually using the single-ended output.

We all know that BA IEM tends to sound analytical and cold. Straight out of iPhone Miracle does have a digital sound. 801+balanced module with its warm and analogue sound is just a perfect match for Miracle, at least in my mind. :)

801 actually uses probably THE best sounding D/A chip PCM1704UK. Once you pair it with Miracle which has a very neutral sound, the music sounds just SO real. Every headfier should at least hear a PCM1704UK DAC once in their life. It's a shame that no one is making a chip like that. :)

Quote:
I wish I had a balanced setup for my Miracles as it brings out the bass and details a bit more right?

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #992 of 1,228

Quote:
HM-801 with balanced module can output both balanced and single-ended. since i don't have a balanced cable for Miracle, i am actually using the single-ended output.

We all know that BA IEM tends to sound analytical and cold. Straight out of iPhone Miracle does have a digital sound. 801+balanced module with its warm and analogue sound is just a perfect match for Miracle, at least in my mind. :)

801 actually uses probably THE best sounding D/A chip PCM1704UK. Once you pair it with Miracle which has a very neutral sound, the music sounds just SO real. Every headfier should at least hear a PCM1704UK DAC once in their life. It's a shame that no one is making a chip like that. :)

I believe some of the Audio GD Dac 19's use that dac.  I don't think I'd be able to rock it in balanced mode though since it wasn't made for that.  I'm trying to find a desktop balanced system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Maybe the NFB-10 if I'm willing to get a huge balanced adapter?

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #993 of 1,228
To me, UM Miracle is like a chameleon. Sometimes, it sounds good but not spectacular but when it sounds its best,,, oh boy,,,, does it sounds "WONDERFUL". Once you realized its potent potential, it is difficult to not fall in love with it. Miracle does deserve best components that you can match but it sounds real good with just portable DAP like iPod Classic as well.

My other ciem UM Aero is not as good as Miracle but it is very close. I can be perfectly happy with Aero if that is the only ciem in my possession. After about 10 or 15 minutes of listening, I forget which ciem that I have on me and just enjoy my music. Fortunately the fit is perfect for me so I don't have to send them back for refit so far since I have heard that fit is most important aspect of ciem to sound good. 

I was listening to Pandora music service coming from Kindle Fire while reading a good e-book was certainly very enjoyable experience for me. Kindle Fire is not known for its sound quality at all but Miracle did sound wonderful to my ears listening to 
Pandora streaming audio. Who would have thought mediocre streaming music can be sound this good.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #994 of 1,228
i have listened to NFB-10SE before. not impressed. Doing a good balanced amp is difficult, and it's going to be expansive. Audio-GD cut some corner with NFB-10SE in order to bring down the price, and the end results is not that great. It sounds thin and edgy. Not sure about NFB-10 though. I love Audio-GD's products, but not their NFB-10SE.

i would highly recommend you to wait. :) 

There are going to be some real good "schiit" coming out soon. :wink:

Quote:
I believe some of the Audio GD Dac 19's use that dac.  I don't think I'd be able to rock it in balanced mode though since it wasn't made for that.  I'm trying to find a desktop balanced system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Maybe the NFB-10 if I'm willing to get a huge balanced adapter?

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #995 of 1,228

Quote:
i have listened to NFB-10SE before. not impressed. Doing a good balanced amp is difficult, and it's going to be expansive. Audio-GD cut some corner with NFB-10SE in order to bring down the price, and the end results is not that great. It sounds thin and edgy. Not sure about NFB-10 though. I love Audio-GD's products, but not their NFB-10SE.

i would highly recommend you to wait. :) 

There are going to be some real good "schiit" coming out soon. :wink:

Unfortunately I had a feeling the NFB-10SE was gonna be sort of a disappointment.

As for schiit, I'm very interested in what's coming out. However I may be a bit too vain but I don't like to own silver electronics.  I have an all black theme going on and I don't want to ruin the continuity of the theme.  However, if they start selling some stuff in black, I will definitely be one to scoop it up =)

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #996 of 1,228
hehe...true. I actually like a little bit silver color in my almost black theme setup. :)

Quote:
Unfortunately I had a feeling the NFB-10SE was gonna be sort of a disappointment.

As for schiit, I'm very interested in what's coming out. However I may be a bit too vain but I don't like to own silver electronics.  I have an all black theme going on and I don't want to ruin the continuity of the theme.  However, if they start selling some stuff in black, I will definitely be one to scoop it up =)

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #999 of 1,228

Quote:
i think that you should be getting yours pretty soon. :wink:

the HE-6 cable is ALO Salty Pepper. it looks awesome, and sounds great too.

I'm getting an all-HiFiMAN setup (HM-801 + EF-6 + HE-6), and I am hesitating between keeping it that way, or buying a true home source like the Schiit Bifrost.

I noticed that you own the 4 aforementioned items. :wink:

Could you please do a short comparison of the sound between these two setups? :)

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #1,000 of 1,228
I am using HM-801 mainly during commute with Miracle, and i hate to keep plugging things on and off. That's why i bought the Bifrost. Plus i am a huge fan of Schiit. :)

If we compare USB vs USB, Bifrost is better. HM-801's USB DAC function is not that as advanced as Bifrost. If you are planning to use HM-801's USB DAC function, it's probably better to get a USB-to-Coax converter, like Audio-GD Digital Interface or Stello U2/U3. 

If you are using HM-801 as the complete source, then I personally prefer HM-801's sound signature, although Bifrost is really not that behind. we are talking about minor difference. 801 has a warmer and more analogue sound. I can see someone would actually prefer Bifrost, because the sound is more crisp.  

Quote:

I'm getting an all-HiFiMAN setup (HM-801 + EF-6 + HE-6), and I am hesitating between keeping it that way, or buying a true home source like the Schiit Bifrost.

I noticed that you own the 4 aforementioned items. :wink:

Could you please do a short comparison of the sound between these two setups? :)

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #1,004 of 1,228
Poetic, I see you have some Audio-gd gear, which I also am interested in. The Master 5 looks like an awesome amp indeed, also functions as pre amp.
But could be a tad expensive...
Oh by the way, you honestly will love the UM Merlin mate, its a great compliment to the Miracle. While not quite as crisp at the top end ....not by much mind you....the bass digs deep and fat never boomy.
Brings Live Music to life. Im sure glad I opted for both....:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back