UM Global Deal - The lucky 25 (All slots filled so please stop PM'n me to join)
Feb 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #886 of 1,228
For what it's worth for those of you waiting....  The iem I had did sound well after burn in.  You should be pleased when they arrive.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #888 of 1,228

Quote:
I think you're thinking of DannyBai, I remember he had an issue with the Miracle and UM forgot to put a logo on his.

Yep, my Merlins came w/o any logo's but I didn't want to send them back for that reason only.  When I was listening to them, I wasn't impressed at all.  The Merlins actually sounded great but it wasn't mind blowing like I expected.  The Miracles on the other hand, completely sounded like crap.  After a couple of weeks of testing them out, I realized the Miracles were losing seal only on the right earpiece.  I immediately blamed the audiologist but UM used the same molds for both sets so I wasn't so sure.  I emailed back and forth with the UM guys and we decided I needed new molds so I went to another audiologist and got some new molds.  He compared the new molds with the actual customs I brought with me and said he could see the difference.  I guess my first molds could have been bad then.  So, needless to say, I really haven't had a proper listen to either customs still since they both went back for re-shells.  I thought the Merlins fit fine but when I turned my head side to side, up and down, I would lose seal with those too, so I decided to send them back also.  I was never given a time frame but the UM guys told me that the cables and promo items would be included when I get them back.  This was two to three weeks ago when I sent them in.  I assume I won't be getting them back until end of March at the earliest.  

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #889 of 1,228

Quote:
Yep, my Merlins came w/o any logo's but I didn't want to send them back for that reason only.  When I was listening to them, I wasn't impressed at all.  The Merlins actually sounded great but it wasn't mind blowing like I expected.  The Miracles on the other hand, completely sounded like crap.  After a couple of weeks of testing them out, I realized the Miracles were losing seal only on the right earpiece.  I immediately blamed the audiologist but UM used the same molds for both sets so I wasn't so sure.  I emailed back and forth with the UM guys and we decided I needed new molds so I went to another audiologist and got some new molds.  He compared the new molds with the actual customs I brought with me and said he could see the difference.  I guess my first molds could have been bad then.  So, needless to say, I really haven't had a proper listen to either customs still since they both went back for re-shells.  I thought the Merlins fit fine but when I turned my head side to side, up and down, I would lose seal with those too, so I decided to send them back also.  I was never given a time frame but the UM guys told me that the cables and promo items would be included when I get them back.  This was two to three weeks ago when I sent them in.  I assume I won't be getting them back until end of March at the earliest.  

They told me that was the plan too but I'm getting mine back next week. I hope the promo items will be ready by then, end of March is nuts.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #890 of 1,228

Quote:
They told me that was the plan too but I'm getting mine back next week. I hope the promo items will be ready by then, end of March is nuts.

That would only relate to my order only since they have to re-shell it.  Plus I told them they could just send everything together.  Though I'm not very happy with what has happened and shelling out more money for new molds and shipping, the guys at Global have been very good at responding with my emails and working with me on the whole deal.  I just hope they fit properly this time or they'll both be going up in the for sale threads since I won't be going through this process again.  

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #891 of 1,228

Quote:
That would only relate to my order only since they have to re-shell it.  Plus I told them they could just send everything together.  Though I'm not very happy with what has happened and shelling out more money for new molds and shipping, the guys at Global have been very good at responding with my emails and working with me on the whole deal.  I just hope they fit properly this time or they'll both be going up in the for sale threads since I won't be going through this process again.  

I hear ya, going through a US based company would've been way less painful.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #892 of 1,228

Quote:
I hear ya, going through a US based company would've been way less painful.

Tell me about it. When I ordered my other ciem from 1964 Ears (1964-Q), I received my ciem less than 3 weeks with perfect fit. They even follow up with the couple of emails to making sure that I was completely satisfied with the purchase.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #893 of 1,228
I fully agree with justhavingfun. Other custom companies such as 1964 ears seem to have much better customer service.

I feel UM Global distributor's service is very lacking. I personally was very angry with UM Malaysia. My CIEMs were sent to Australia by 'mistake' which resulted in a 4 week delay. A series of unfortunate events supposedly. On top of that, they did not notify me regarding the mistake and told me that is was for 'inspection and distribution'. I had to personally drop a PM to Matt to get the truth. Disappointing..

But that was a while ago, let bygones be bygones. I have settled the matter already.

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #894 of 1,228
So after nearly 2 months of breaking into my Miracles, I've noticed that the left earphone produces a rattling, buzzing sound at certain frequencies.
During my 2 months of daily use, I've noticed that there were distortions at certain notes but I thought it was just my phone/bad recording.
Trying on a 20Hz - 20kHz freq sweep, the first 10 seconds were really obvious where the left was just rattling away as though something got stuck in there!
The higher the volume, the louder the rattle but if you turn down the volume gradually there is a point where the rattle stops. 

As freq got higher and higher the rattle turned more into a buzz like noise, sort of like a bee flying around, and then disappeared totally when the sweep was entering
midrange and came back at the mid-high point. It seems the left distorts at a lower volume. The right doesn't do this until volume is absurdly and extremely high, and even
with that doesn't rattle as hard as the left. Anyone tried this? 

Its driving me crazy now because every rattle/buzz/distort in a song becomes so clear (especially at louder volumes) now that my ears are conscious about it. Should I send it back? 

Only the left side has this, right is fine and dandy. Tried on both iPhone and Macbook-pro, same results. Swapped the connectors, swapped the order of connectors,
no results. Help :frowning2:  

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #896 of 1,228
Nothing wrong with the frequncy graph. Something wrong with the drivers/corssover. Drivers rattling loudly... that sounds like extremely bad clipping... so I'd guess something wrong with crossover board but I'm no expert, ask UM to repair it.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #897 of 1,228
Have you checked there is no moisture or wax ingress in the sound tubes?

According to some folks, moisture or wax in the sound tubes can have a profoundly negative influence upon the sound quality, with some strange anomalies

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #898 of 1,228

Quote:
Have you checked there is no moisture or wax ingress in the sound tubes?

According to some folks, moisture or wax in the sound tubes can have a profoundly negative influence upon the sound quality, with some strange anomalies

If it isn't this then you gotta send them back to get fixed.

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #899 of 1,228
I don't think so, I clean it out pretty frequently with the mini brush, and looking at the tube closely I didn't see any moisture.
I did listen to it after showering when the ear is just a tiny wet, but even so it would've dried out wouldn't it? There aren't any
visible water vapors or anything, looks dry as a dessert. 

Oh well, that's a bummer. Probably won't send it back too early, considering how UM's busy state. Don't want them ending up in
Russia or Europe or something. It doesn't happen at lower volumes, but I don't think I can live with this. 

Thanks for all your input. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back