Ultrasone Signature DJ
Nov 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,231 of 2,701
I think the signature dj's are beautifull.

I actually prefer how they look over the pros... Atleast from pics :3

Also i just had a "there is no spoon" moment, except instead of a spoon its my earcups, and instead of them bending it was my mind.

I felt like the sound wasnt coming from my earcups. Like it was flying around me. Soundstage up to this point for me has just been inside my head, pretty cool experience.

Also if i sound mellow about it, i feel like crying! So perfect!

It seems like bassheads own 10 or so headphones.  I say sell them all and just buy the Sig DJ!  It's all one needs.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,232 of 2,701

It seems like bassheads own 10 or so headphones.  I say sell them all and just buy the Sig DJ!  It's all one needs.

LOL..................no way, gotta have variety.  Spice of life and all.  
wink_face.gif

Getting a Sig DJ to try out for a few days, thanks to a very cool and good friend.  Will post up impressions and am SO looking forward to hearing these.  Vintage amps are warmed up and ready to go.................as is my Arrow 3G. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,234 of 2,701
I own Sig DJ and M-100, so we probably have similar taste.  I actually like the looks of the Sig DJ.  I use both as portables, but my go-to can is always the Sig DJ becasue their sound is so much more refined.  After attending a recent headphone meet, I am convinced there is not another headphone made today that sounds better for pop, dance, EDM or hip hop.

Yeah we must have similar taste. Have seen you posting on a bunch of threads Ibe been following and respect your opinion. I like a neutral soundsig can sometimes too though, as long as they reach deep and can respond well to eq, this is why I like dt1350 and think I'd like T1 too.
Anyways, for portables it has to be something I can see myself wearing in public, on transport, without feeling self conscious. Whites not my thing and I think most people are that way, stands out a lot (and gets dirty)

So if you prefer the looks of the Sig Pro, what keeps you from trying that one. The difference is that it has less mid bass than the Sig Dj, but as I think by now, reaches deeper. So the bass is not very pronounced but still well presented.

Yes I have considered them.. Read quite a few bad things about comfort though, and they're 40mm drivers compared to 50mm sigdj so that may be part of it? Also seem to be more mixed opinions on them..

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #1,235 of 2,701
  LOL..................no way, gotta have variety.  Spice of life and all.  
wink_face.gif

Getting a Sig DJ to try out for a few days, thanks to a very cool and good friend.  Will post up impressions and am SO looking forward to hearing these.  Vintage amps are warmed up and ready to go.................as is my Arrow 3G. 

Cool!
Can't wait to read your impressions! :wink:

Yeah we must have similar taste. Have seen you posting on a bunch of threads Ibe been following and respect your opinion. I like a neutral soundsig can sometimes too though, as long as they reach deep and can respond well to eq, this is why I like dt1350 and think I'd like T1 too.
Anyways, for portables it has to be something I can see myself wearing in public, on transport, without feeling self conscious. Whites not my thing and I think most people are that way, stands out a lot (and gets dirty)
Yes I have considered them.. Read quite a few bad things about comfort though, and they're 40mm drivers compared to 50mm sigdj so that may be part of it? Also seem to be more mixed opinions on them..

I think most of us are like that. We want a fun, thumping headphone but also need a more relaxed one as well.

I had both the Sig Pro and Sig DJs at one time and although comfort was a bit worse on the Sig Pros, the major differences were more bass presence and greater sound stage on the Sig DJs. Sig Pros were a bit more relaxed through the mids but still they are VERY capable.

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #1,236 of 2,701
Also i just had a "there is no spoon" moment, except instead of a spoon its my earcups, and instead of them bending it was my mind.

lolwut
redface.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #1,237 of 2,701

You know, both cans share the same housing, the same ear cups and the same headband I can prove that as I have both. The difference is the drivers, the baffle board that holds them and the color. The comfort is identical for me. The DJ the drivers are mounted more offset down front, whereas the PROs are mounted only symmetrically  downwards. This causes the surround effect difference. The DJs drivers are bigger and the baffle board openings tune it for much louder mid bass, whereas the PROs are tuned more balanced with slightly deeper low end performance. the mids and the treble seem to be equal on both, but the titanium plated driver of the PROs seem to renders a bit faster and exacter overall. @ 1000 Hz both cans produce nearly the same loudness, the data sheet difference only reflects the bass boost of the DJs. If you come from balanced cans the PROs what you like, if you prefer high quality big bass, the DJ is a must. for me it depends on the mood, right now it is more balanced......

devil_face.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,238 of 2,701
  You know, both cans share the same housing, the same ear cups and the same headband I can prove that as I have both. The difference is the drivers, the baffle board that holds them and the color. The comfort is identical for me. The DJ the drivers are mounted more offset down front, whereas the PROs are mounted only symmetrically  downwards. This causes the surround effect difference. The DJs drivers are bigger and the baffle board openings tune it for much louder mid bass, whereas the PROs are tuned more balanced with slightly deeper low end performance. the mids and the treble seem to be equal on both, but the titanium plated driver of the PROs seem to renders a bit faster and exacter overall. @ 1000 Hz both cans produce nearly the same loudness, the data sheet difference only reflects the bass boost of the DJs. If you come from balanced cans the PROs what you like, if you prefer high quality big bass, the DJ is a must. for me it depends on the mood, right now it is more balanced......

devil_face.gif

If you are in a balanced mood, I highly recommend the Alpha Dog.

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #1,239 of 2,701

devil_face.gif

After reading more and more on both the SP and SDJ I think if I get one it will be the SP..
The bass and other upsides of the SDJ are very tempting but if I'm less likely to wear them and they're more likely to get worn/dirty/discoloured then what's the point?
I want these for portable use and office use not so much home.

I like the descriptions I've read too of the SP as being 'warm'(er) and having slightly more sub in exchange for slightly less midbass bump. I don't mind a bit less punch if there's good extension and rumble, I generally prefer good quality sub bass to mid bass. I think that's why I still like my Dt1350 sound so much still despite all the things wrong with them otherwise.

These days I listen to more deep/dark dub/techno and other super-low frequency focussed stuff with experimental textures, glitch elements. I'll occasionally throw on some Breaks/Housey stuff/DnB but I'm not after "the most punch" for kick drums and such.. I also do listen to quite a few bands (indie/rock) and soul/funk, quite a variety of things really. So SP might be a better allrounder in addition to looking nicer (to me). The only concern is comfort but then the housing is the same and pads are meant to be the same as SDJ and some people are saying the comfort is the same. So I think I just need to try out for myself... if I can find a second hand pair

I might still grab an M100 matteblack too... Then I'd have an all-black collection of TH600 + SP + M100  :p

Here's a nice dark atmospheric test track for you guys, something a little different.. I can't have my TH600 cranked too loud or the sub massage gets too much!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEsJRSoeuvQ
https://soundcloud.com/synth-sense - from this guy. He's on Auxiliary record label run by https://soundcloud.com/asc 
https://soundcloud.com/auxiliarylabel

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #1,240 of 2,701

Yes, they are not portable at all but that's the only downside.  My WAF is high..............not at first but when she saw the system in person that changed.

If you can find one inexpensively, I'd say go for it.  You will be very impressed.  I'm not sure but that Technics CD player may have an opamp for the headphone out and the vintage stuff is direct off the main amp with a resistor..............hence the amazing bass and power.  So if you liked the Technics with an opamp...............

I'm planning on buying an inexpensive vintage amp and I would like to know how you can tell if the headphone out is direct off the main amp with a resistor.
Sorry for my ignorance...

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,241 of 2,701
I'm planning on buying an inexpensive vintage amp and I would like to know how you can tell if the headphone out is direct off the main amp with a resistor.
Sorry for my ignorance...

Fair question and most of us had no idea about opamps and such till we got reading on the vintage thread. I don't know for sure is my answer but I'd guess any silver face unit from the late '70's would be direct from amp.

Come on over to the thread - it's named "calling all vintage receivers/integrated amp owners" or something like that and ask the question. If you find something I'll be glad to answer any question I can.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,242 of 2,701
The new Arcade Fire album is a joy to listen to on the Sigs. Check it out, if you haven't yet.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,243 of 2,701
Fair question and most of us had no idea about opamps and such till we got reading on the vintage thread. I don't know for sure is my answer but I'd guess any silver face unit from the late '70's would be direct from amp.

Come on over to the thread - it's named "calling all vintage receivers/integrated amp owners" or something like that and ask the question. If you find something I'll be glad to answer any question I can.

Thx for the info.
My guess was: no separate volume button for the headphone-out = headphone-out signal direct from the main amp

The new Arcade Fire album is a joy to listen to on the Sigs. Check it out, if you haven't yet.

The intro of Reflektor has some serious low bass...
atsmile.gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #1,244 of 2,701
I'm thinking of picking the Signature DJ up as my first seriously high end headphone. I have got the V Moda M-100 right now, but I want to upgrade and maybe create a home set up as well. I'm thinking of just starting with the Modi and Magni for now or is there a better cheap alternative for these for computer listening.

I listen to artists like Solar Fields, Leftfield, Shpongle, Noisia, Pendulum, Justice, Purity Ring, Boards of Canada, Massive Attack, Paul van Dyk, Mike Oldfield, Juno Reactor, Infected Mushroom, Hallucinogen, Four Tet among others. I also like some pop artists like Ellie Goulding, Charli XCX, Kerli, T.a.T.u,  Janelle Monae, Natalia Kills, Rita Ora etc

Outside of that, I'm not into Rock music much, not do I really ever listen to classical or Jazz.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #1,245 of 2,701
  I'm thinking of picking the Signature DJ up as my first seriously high end headphone. I have got the V Moda M-100 right now, but I want to upgrade and maybe create a home set up as well. I'm thinking of just starting with the Modi and Magni for now or is there a better cheap alternative for these for computer listening.

I listen to artists like Solar Fields, Leftfield, Shpongle, Noisia, Pendulum, Justice, Purity Ring, Boards of Canada, Massive Attack, Paul van Dyk, Mike Oldfield, Juno Reactor, Infected Mushroom, Hallucinogen, Four Tet among others. I also like some pop artists like Ellie Goulding, Charli XCX, Kerli, T.a.T.u,  Janelle Monae, Natalia Kills, Rita Ora etc

Outside of that, I'm not into Rock music much, not do I really ever listen to classical or Jazz.

Great music taste man :) Very similar here.
2013 has been great with the BoC album, new Four Tet album is awesome and of course Shpongle. I've seen Shpongle live a couple of times with the full band, amazing..

This is why I'm also looking into these headphones I need to go try them out.
The isolation and portability are the key factors to use on the go and in the office.
My first truly high end HP is the Fostex TH600 (I don't count HE-400 - good but blown away by the Fostex), and I can highly recommend those for your music tastes too if you're mainly listening at home (they're not portable they are kinda semi-open). They can be had new for 800 or less from Price Japan or normal Amazon now.

Ps. some other great recent artists/bands/albums I've been digging on the Fostex... they are making me seek out and explore lots of new stuff (and high quality FLACs and such more), and often genres I didn't use to as much.. vocals sound amazing too.
Atoms For Peace - Amok
Yeasayer
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Memotone (William Yates)
Hiatus Kaiyote (awesome soul/funk band, they're on the GTA5 soundtrack)
Mala
Chillstep like Phaeleh, Synthetic Epiphany
Trentemoeller's new album
Leatherette (Ninja Tune label same as Four Tet, full of gems)
Emika (as above)

If you're into experimental electronica (IDM, Glitch etc) I highly recommend checking out Enig'matik Records. Based here in Australia
http://enigmatiksounds.bandcamp.com/

Mr Bill is a genius too - https://soundcloud.com/mrbillstunes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back