Ultrasone Signature DJ
Nov 22, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #377 of 2,701
Quote:
Great feedback, thanks.  I will wait for RMC at $699.  Since I would be using portably and won't have $$$ left over for an expensive portable amp, I wonder how they will do with my E11, if the E12 is a worthy upgrade, or if I want off-the-charts bass courtesy of a ZO2.

If you want phenomenal, yet high quality bass with a very musical presentation overall, get a graham slee voyager.
Then ditch the digizoid - it pales in comparison. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #379 of 2,701
Sig DJs for 750$ 875$ from soundearphones with free overnight shipping!!!

So soundearphones is having a blackfriday deal where all their gift cards are 25% using the coupon code - GIFTCARD25

http://www.soundearphones.com/collections/giftcards

They also have the Sig DJs in stock for 1000$(http://www.soundearphones.com/products/ultrasone-signature-dj-headphones#.UK_Oq-Oe_Kw), if you buy 1000$ worth of giftcards that means the Sig DJs will be 750$ with free overnight shipping. For anyone wanting to know how this works, you buy 10x100$ gift cards together, using the coupon code, so you'll pay 750$  you buy the 500$ gift card for 375$ and pay the remaining 500$ for a total of 875$ w/ free overnight shipping. Then you'll get an email with a single code for the whole 1000$ giftcards, which you can use to buy the Sig DJ. The last time they had this deal I nagged a LCD 2 for 750$. It says only one gift card allowed per transaction, but if you buy all the giftcards together(like I did last time) they'll send you a single 1000$ giftcard instead of 10x100$, they could've changed it this time, so better ask them about  it first.
EDIT : turns out they did change it this time around so you cant stack the gift cards, you can only get the 500$ gift card for 375$ but you'll have to pay the remaining 500$ for 875$, it is not as good a deal, but still good enough for anyone who knows they want the headphone and are not gonna return it.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #380 of 2,701
Ok, so I found out that they are not allowing you to stack gift cards this time around, unlike last time. But you can still get a 500$ gift card for 375$, and pay the remaining 500$, so it comes to about 875$, not really that tempting now.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #382 of 2,701
Quote:
Not a good deal. if you return the phone, you get stuck with the gift cards.

If it were actually 750$ like I initially assumed you could've easily sold the headphone for around that price if you did not want to keep them, it is not as tempting at 875$ to be honest, WIsh they still allowed you to stack gift cards like last time.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #384 of 2,701
I went crazy the other night and ordered the Ultrasone signature DJ. I really want to love them, and I hope they won't be as much of a disappointment as the 900 pro that I hesitantly returned to the store. I really loved the bass of the ultrasone 900 pro, since im a huge basshead (60hz on max plus raise the bass boost a bit), but the highs were cutting my ears up. After only a few days I realized I would go deaf if I kept them since I could feel some static noise in my ears after listening to them. But a few songs would work without hurting my ears, and those times they were amazing. I have never heard such clarity before.

I really hope that these don't suffer from sibilance, because that would be a dealbreaker. :frowning2: For an audiophile the ears are important and ought to be taken care of. I will recieve the headphones in just a couple of days and I might give my impression then. I lack a proper headphone amp, but I plan on listening on a quite strong Cowon D2+ mp3-player (the newer C2 is way weak), and on my stronger Onkyou TX-SR508 surround reciever. See you later.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #385 of 2,701
Sorry have not posted earlier its been a bit busy in the retail world. I would have more posts but they get deleted by the admins here all the tiem so I stopped bothering to post. Its not like I am being spammy either just informational on ETA's etc go figure. Ultrasone was having email server issues so they were not getting my emails and I was not getting theirs it was a vicious cycle. Called them and got it all cleared up. If you need to reach them for the time being I would call an not email FYI. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #387 of 2,701
I recieved my Ultrasone signature DJ yesterday. I spent about 7 hours that evening listening, comparing and finding a great deal of new music that I would never have considered listening to before. Songs like Whitney Houston - I will always love you sound great in these, and  I would just melt. 

As stated above, I returned my Ultrasone pro 900. Many people loved the pro 900 while others complained about the sibilance. I am very picky about sibilance so for me it was a big dealbreaker. These are like the remake of the 900 and they lack sibilance (although it is not impossible to accomplish some sibilance in extreme cases because of the detailed treble). With these I don’t even throw them off and go “Oouch!! Damn it! Why the hell would they make these like that!?” once in a while. With the old 900s it was very difficult to watch a movie in which someone banged on metal, shot a gun, or spoke without getting cut in the ear.

I have not met this type of clarity since the pro 900. If I am not mistaking, the midrange on these ones are not as muted and gone is the shrill metallic sound of the 900. Brain burn-in time was very short, they sounded good pretty early. There's chrystal clearness, separation, lifelike instruments. When they work their best, listening to these is like getting licked in the ear by God who does not exist. I am going to keep these.

What else...well these are my personal opinions, and I'm not a true audiophile. My other big headphones are "M-AUDIO STUDIOPHILE Q40" , and while they are not bad at all..a lot of hibbityjibbity for the buck and the bass is not far from ultrasone, they lack clarity.

[size=10pt]My cellphone (samsung galaxy note 2) is too weak to make justice to these headphones ..does anyone have any recommendation on a portable AMP?[/size]

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #388 of 2,701
Quote:
... [size=10pt]My cellphone (samsung galaxy note 2) is too weak to make justice to these headphones ..does anyone have any recommendation on a portable AMP?[/size]

JDS Labs c421 and Headstage Arrow are two options you should look into.

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #389 of 2,701
Quote:
I recieved my Ultrasone signature DJ yesterday. I spent about 7 hours that evening listening, comparing and finding a great deal of new music that I would never have considered listening to before. Songs like Whitney Houston - I will always love you sound great in these, and  I would just melt. 

As stated above, I returned my Ultrasone pro 900. Many people loved the pro 900 while others complained about the sibilance. I am very picky about sibilance so for me it was a big dealbreaker. These are like the remake of the 900 and they lack sibilance (although it is not impossible to accomplish some sibilance in extreme cases because of the detailed treble). With these I don’t even throw them off and go “Oouch!! Damn it! Why the hell would they make these like that!?” once in a while. With the old 900s it was very difficult to watch a movie in which someone banged on metal, shot a gun, or spoke without getting cut in the ear.

I have not met this type of clarity since the pro 900. If I am not mistaking, the midrange on these ones are not as muted and gone is the shrill metallic sound of the 900. Brain burn-in time was very short, they sounded good pretty early. There's chrystal clearness, separation, lifelike instruments. When they work their best, listening to these is like getting licked in the ear by God who does not exist. I am going to keep these.

What else...well these are my personal opinions, and I'm not a true audiophile. My other big headphones are "M-AUDIO STUDIOPHILE Q40" , and while they are not bad at all..a lot of hibbityjibbity for the buck and the bass is not far from ultrasone, they lack clarity.

[size=10pt]My cellphone (samsung galaxy note 2) is too weak to make justice to these headphones ..does anyone have any recommendation on a portable AMP?[/size]

Could you please compare Q40 bass to the Sig DJ?  That will be a huge deciding factor for me.

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #390 of 2,701
Sometimes I just dont know the difference between the two in terms of bass..., so I hope someone else could help descibe it a bit better. I will have to do some more testing. Q40 is an absolutely great pair of headphones, just with a little bit different sound. The bass is rather similar. Both are somewhat equally strong,..but the quality is maybe a little better on the ultrasone, I have compared quite a bit..using bass-heavy songs like Ludacris - how low...Flux pavillion - Digital controller, but also other types of music such as country (Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton - Islands in the stream, John Denver - Country roads), but i havent figured it out quite yet. I would maybe say that the bass is more clearly defined, warmer instead of boastful and boomy. But don't expect it to be stronger.

The thing is that it feels like the bass and treble play in harmony with eachother on the ultrasone.. Other headphones would be more prone to muddle the sound all together. But due to the V-shaped soundstage of these, it really feels like the bass and treble are treated by two separate entities, meaning that boosting the bass wont affect the clarity, according to me. I hope it helps a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back