Ultrasone Signature DJ
Nov 27, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #2,386 of 2,701
I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the music! I'm curious if any Sig DJ owners have listened to the closed back Audeze EL-8 or Audioquest Nighthawk? If you have, thoughts and opinions with regards to our beloved cans? 

Cheers!

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #2,387 of 2,701
I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the music! I'm curious if any Sig DJ owners have listened to the closed back Audeze EL-8 or Audioquest Nighthawk? If you have, thoughts and opinions with regards to our beloved cans? 

Cheers!
Still the best closed portable can in my opinion in the world in my opinion. I did hear the open back el8 but I still perfered the sig dj by a wide margin.

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #2,388 of 2,701

Cheers!

I found the el-8 very flat and smooth sounding in comparison, it didn't have the rumble down low or the sparkle up top of the DJs but was a lot more liquid sounding if that makes sense. I couldn't get over how heavy they are though, I would not want to carry them around at all. The nighthawk is also smoother and darker and of course it doesn't seal anywhere as good but does sound more open, again I would not want to carry them around due to how big they are and lack of isolation.

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #2,389 of 2,701
In my experience EL8C had more sub-bass and more treble energy (not sure if extension, it seemed to be a spike around 10khz and then it seemed to roll off). But they were heavy, though comfortable, I mean, the cups were deeper than sig dj, and it stayed nicely on head, though neck pain would be almost a guarantee with it. All in all, I personally consider EL8c or sig dj, in terms of everything, and still did not came with a sure answer. Thoug EL8c seems to have a boost in 100hz region and a dip in mids, which makes sig dj much more neutral and detailed. 

On the other side, nighthawk is straightforward awful. It is the darkest headphone I had ever heard and it sounds muffled in comparation with either EL8c or sig dj. I do not think I would actually buy nighthawk regardless of situation. 

I found the el-8 very flat and smooth sounding in comparison, it didn't have the rumble down low or the sparkle up top of the DJs but was a lot more liquid sounding if that makes sense. I couldn't get over how heavy they are though, I would not want to carry them around at all. The nighthawk is also smoother and darker and of course it doesn't seal anywhere as good but does sound more open, again I would not want to carry them around due to how big they are and lack of isolation.

I wonder, as you seem the most experienced with ultrasone, there are about 3 things that might* beat it, but I never heared any of them. Senn 630, fostex th900 or th600, and high end beyer. I am very curious if you heared any of them and can give me adive regarding them, @chailee80

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #2,390 of 2,701
I was able to hear the th900's at the last head fi meet, and although my time was limited and it was a loud room, i didn't have any doubts that the th900 was superior in most ways to the djs. They aren't very portable though, so if you want the cans to be portable then the djs are much better.

Th900 had larger soundstage, much better imaging, noticably less mid bass but far more sub bass, and better quallity throughout the spectrum in general. The sub bass is seriously, the best sub bass i have heard in a headphone to date. The th900s sound warm and lively compared to the djs. Far more comfortable and lighter. Blocks out less sound, kinda long quarter inch adapter cable, and can fall off of the head much easier than the dj though making it, once again, a terrible portable headphone.

I bought my djs back when the th900s were double the price they are now. I LOVE my djs, but in the limited time i had with the th900s i knew i loved them more. Planning on buying them when i get the chance.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #2,391 of 2,701
Thanks! Many good comments and impressions here. Too bad about the EL-8 as, at least in theory, it seems and looks like a winner... I hope to try it out some day. But, yeah, the weight is a bit of a turn off. The Nighthawk seems to be a weird headphone. I think it looks amazing though. I just wanted to get a feel from fellow Sig DJ owners. 

Regarding the TH-900, they've been on my radar for a while. I don't use my DJ's as portable headphones at all. In fact, they've only left my house for show-and-tell trips. Nor do I require the isolation as I do most of my listening at home in a quiet room. But, I can't (currently) justify the cost of the TH-900's and feel the TH-600's would represent a downgrade from the DJ's based on reviews, feedback, and limited listening. So, I dove into the Massdrop for the TH-X00 today. It'll be interesting to figure out which to keep and which to sell. The Sig DJ's are my favorite headphone to date. And, currently, the only over the ear cans I own. Any other TH-X00 takers out there? Here's the link if you haven't been lurking already. 

Here's to the audio journey, cheers!
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,393 of 2,701
I got last week some EL8-C, and happy owner of the Signature DJ for some time now. First impression listening to the EL8-C with same source as the SIg Dj was uhmm...not good, not much clarity nor detail.

However, after trying different amps I come to the conclusion that they need power to shine. Using always my ak120ii as the source (either as dac from my mac or as the player) and combining it with the e12a or a cayin C5 they sound very good and similar to the Sig DJs, and I like them very much now.

Next week I am getting a Fiio e17k which I also read they make them sound good, curious to try.

Back to the question, are they better than the Sig DJ? Well is very personal, after a week with them I could say yes, not by a huge margin, they seem to have more definition than the DJs, is like you remove a veil from the DJs...but only when using the right combination of devices, dac, amp, etc. For example right out from the ak120ii they sound dull, where the Sig DJ or my ie800 connected directly sound very good and detailed.

If you are interested I will post my impressions with the e17k and after more listening time.

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #2,394 of 2,701
I, for one, would love to read your impressions of the EL-8 v Sig DJ.

And, I shouldn't have represented the TH-600's as a downgrade. Rather, from my limited experience with them, the 600's didn't make me want to give up my Sig DJ's. The TH-900's on the other hand... I really enjoyed what I heard. If the TH-X00's are really an improvement over the 600's and anywhere remotely close to the 900's (or stated as being superior (Purrin)), this will be an interesting and stressful time between me and my Sig DJ's. 
basshead.gif

The Sig DJ's are amazing cans and have set a high standard for all others to live sound (?) up to. 

---------

On another note, is anyone listening to (or have listened to) the Sig DJ's through the iFi iDSD Micro? If so, what are your thoughts? Any reservations? 

Cheers!

Edit: The line about Fostex TH-X00's being superior v the 900's isn't entirely based on technicalities (this debate has been raging elsewhere and I wanted to clarify here). It's likely that the x00's are not technically superior to the 900's. I didn't buy them for that reason or under that illusion, rather I wanted to compare a new can with TH DNA to my Sig. DJ's. It'll be a fun comparison! 

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #2,395 of 2,701
  I got last week some EL8-C, and happy owner of the Signature DJ for some time now. First impression listening to the EL8-C with same source as the SIg Dj was uhmm...not good, not much clarity nor detail.

However, after trying different amps I come to the conclusion that they need power to shine. Using always my ak120ii as the source (either as dac from my mac or as the player) and combining it with the e12a or a cayin C5 they sound very good and similar to the Sig DJs, and I like them very much now.

Next week I am getting a Fiio e17k which I also read they make them sound good, curious to try.

Back to the question, are they better than the Sig DJ? Well is very personal, after a week with them I could say yes, not by a huge margin, they seem to have more definition than the DJs, is like you remove a veil from the DJs...but only when using the right combination of devices, dac, amp, etc. For example right out from the ak120ii they sound dull, where the Sig DJ or my ie800 connected directly sound very good and detailed.

If you are interested I will post my impressions with the e17k and after more listening time.

I am extremely curious, especially if you could add ie800 in the comparation chain (as I own ie800 at the moment, but want to buy one of the above headphones). 

I, for one, would love to read your impressions of the EL-8 v Sig DJ.

And, I shouldn't have represented the TH-600's as a downgrade. Rather, from my limited experience with them, the 600's didn't make me want to give up my Sig DJ's. The TH-900's on the other hand... I really enjoyed what I heard. If the TH-X00's are really an improvement over the 600's and anywhere remotely close to the 900's (or stated as being superior (Purrin)), this will be an interesting and stressful time between me and my Sig DJ's. 
basshead.gif

The Sig DJ's are amazing cans and have set a high standard for all others to live sound (?) up to. 

---------

On another note, is anyone listening to (or have listened to) the Sig DJ's through the iFi iDSD Micro? If so, what are your thoughts? Any reservations? 

Cheers!

Generally speaking ifi idsd micro has probably one of the best DAC sounds in the entire world, but the amp sections is taken over by more expensive amps. Depending on what you use at the moment, you might already have better. For example, I just love the amp and DAC section of my X5II from Fiio for most headphones. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #2,396 of 2,701
Exactly, I had for one year an iFi micro iDSD and per suggestion of Dobrescu :) tried the Fiio X5ii + e12A. For my taste I liked much more the sound of that combo than the iFi on my ie800 and Sig DJs.

On thing I remember made the iFi sound very good was to feed it with a DSD source, there is even a setup recommended by iFi to convert on the fly PCM to DSD using Jriver.

The Sig DJs are not typically loved in the audiophile community, but over the years I learned to trust my ears and tastes to decide whats better and whats not :)

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #2,397 of 2,701
In the end returned the EL8s, there were no replacement for the Sig DJs :)

The EL8c with the right amplification, source and little eq (for my taste to make them more like ie800 treble extension) sound very good. But then after a few days coming back to the Sig Djs, they really sound so good with no amp, eq or any other tricks.

So I couldn't justify to replace them, I was in doubt to keep them both, but well...will keep looking for something like ie800 full size closed, so far the Sig DJ are the best full size I heard (for my taste and music style). I tried so far the Fostex TH900, T5p, HE400i, Momentum 1 and 2, HD700 and HD800 which I want to listen again with different amp.

By the way, I upgraded my ak120ii for the Sony NW2-ZX2 with the PHA3, really make the Sig DJ shine, the soundstage and clarity becomes greatly improved. If you have the chance to try do it, you will not be disappointed :wink: I was never much a believer of the synergy of amp/dac headphone, but in this case I notice a clear improvement. In the case of the ie800  they were very similar with the ak120ii or sony combo.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #2,398 of 2,701
I just want to enquire with all those who have been using the Ultrasone Signature DJs for a period of time.
I have used them for a period of time mostly through my iPhone 6 with spotify on electronic music or pop 
but I am finding them to be fatiguing. I did try recabling them with a copper cable but to no avail...

What is just nice and not too bright for me is the Aurisonic 1+. Wondering if anybody here has any suggestions? 

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #2,399 of 2,701
I love my DJ's but you may be happier with the Ultrasone Signature PRO's...tamer highs, more mids.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #2,400 of 2,701
  I just want to enquire with all those who have been using the Ultrasone Signature DJs for a period of time.
I have used them for a period of time mostly through my iPhone 6 with spotify on electronic music or pop 
but I am finding them to be fatiguing. I did try recabling them with a copper cable but to no avail...

What is just nice and not too bright for me is the Aurisonic 1+. Wondering if anybody here has any suggestions? 

You mean that you hear too much treble?

Sig Djs have way too little treble when compared to sennheiser hd800 or sennheiser ie800. 

Well, if you are into smooth sound, you could try a hd650 from sennheiser, or an edition 5 unlimited.  If you want something even better, LCDs from audeze are a great match for smooth but amazing sound. 

I wonder what would have more treble, be closed and the same great characteristics as sig dj. I would need to EQ them with +10 db at 16khz, and +4db at 8khz, so I really love treble and sharp cymbals, and sharp sounds
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back