Ultrasone Signature DJ
Mar 19, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,521 of 2,701
1st week my the Sig DJ! Impressions: (with my poor English :expressionless:)

I'm personally interested in closed backs only since I'm using headphones outside 80% of the time (street, subway, train, plane, office, vacations). I usually reserve home listening for my stereo sytem, wich still my reference.

By the way I received AH-D7200 few weeks ago and returned these promptly! The fit and seal are horrible on my head, making very poor isolation and noticeable leakage. Unsuitable for nomad use (not designed to be, anyway). Sound Signature is simply boring. No impact, dynamically flat, far away for being fun or something a bit enjoyable...

Back to the Sig Dj: first impressions are very good. My reference portable set of cans is the Meze 99C for the last 12 months and my benchmark portable source, the Mojo. For now, what can I say is 99C sound congested side by side with Sig DJ. These (Sig DJ) have simply the best soundstage I've heard with closed headphones. It's wide and deep, separation and imaging are excellent, also.
Bass on these are...OMG...THAT BASS!:drooling_face: Strong, tight, fast, textured, and any superlative word you want to describe these. Everything still crisp and clear in the other hand, I didn't find midrange or highs to be so recessed. Sound isolation is good but not great. However, there is almost no leak to speak of. These are really suitables for nomad use! It appears to be a real upgrade from the 99C IMHO. Sig DJ will be too on the bass side for some (many?). For me, this is just the perfect amount.

For now, the only thing that bother me with Sig DJ is comfort. These are not "uncomfortable" headphones. Clamping is just OK on my head but pads are too small, almost supra aural for me. I have to take a break after 1h.

I'm looking for some aftermarket pads, which I hope wouldn't change that great sound signature. I've already tried Brainwavz sheepskin (both standard and angled). These fit OK and smell:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:, but are too big for the cups of SIG DJ.
I'm waiting for Dekoni M50X ones and will continue testing differents pads. If somebody has found some for Sig DJ/Pro that are really circum aural, I would be delighted to know!

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,522 of 2,701
1st week my the Sig DJ! Impressions: (with my poor English :expressionless:)

I'm personally interested in closed backs only since I'm using headphones outside 80% of the time (street, subway, train, plane, office, vacations). I usually reserve home listening for my stereo sytem, wich still my reference.

By the way I received AH-D7200 few weeks ago and returned these promptly! The fit and seal are horrible on my head, making very poor isolation and noticeable leakage. Unsuitable for nomad use (not designed to be, anyway). Sound Signature is simply boring. No impact, dynamically flat, far away for being fun or something a bit enjoyable...

Back to the Sig Dj: first impressions are very good. My reference portable set of cans is the Meze 99C for the last 12 months and my benchmark portable source, the Mojo. For now, what can I say is 99C sound congested side by side with Sig DJ. These (Sig DJ) have simply the best soundstage I've heard with closed headphones. It's wide and deep, separation and imaging are excellent, also.
Bass on these are...OMG...THAT BASS!:drooling_face: Strong, tight, fast, textured, and any superlative word you want to describe these. Everything still crisp and clear in the other hand, I didn't find midrange or highs to be so recessed. Sound isolation is good but not great. However, there is almost no leak to speak of. These are really suitables for nomad use! It appears to be a real upgrade from the 99C IMHO. Sig DJ will be too on the bass side for some (many?). For me, this is just the perfect amount.

For now, the only thing that bother me with Sig DJ is comfort. These are not "uncomfortable" headphones. Clamping is just OK on my head but pads are too small, almost supra aural for me. I have to take a break after 1h.

I'm looking for some aftermarket pads, which I hope wouldn't change that great sound signature. I've already tried Brainwavz sheepskin (both standard and angled). These fit OK and smell:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:, but are too big for the cups of SIG DJ.
I'm waiting for Dekoni M50X ones and will continue testing differents pads. If somebody has found some for Sig DJ/Pro that are really circum aural, I would be delighted to know!

Great first thoughts! 

What do you mean that HM5 leather is too big? It should fit, from what people said before. 

Also, about 99C - can you EQ 99C and compare a well EQ'ed 99C with SigDj ? The signature is really different if both are in their default state and a comparison is not really feasible. 

You can find more about EQing 99C here : http://www.head-fi.org/products/meze-99-classics/reviews/18208

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #2,523 of 2,701
Great first thoughts!

What do you mean that HM5 leather is too big? It should fit, from what people said before. 

Like I said, it does fit but there is about 1 cm in excess at the top and bottom of the cup. Isolation is slightly altered, so. Clearer signature, and a bit more boomy bass, also. Clearly not an upgrade, only better comfort.

Another upgrade is the Fiio RC HD1 OCC cable can't sure it sounds better but louder for sure than 1.2m stock cable. I'm waiting for a pure silver one from Audio Minor. By the way, every cable for M50X, M40X and Senn HD5X8 will theoretically fit to Sig DJ/Pro.

About EQ... I have to be some kind of "purist" from the Hi-Fi world before coming later to Head-Fi one. For me, EQ is evil :smiling_imp:. If an audio material whatever it is should sound good, it has to be without any modification of the spectrum it was designed to deliver. My humble opinion, only!

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #2,524 of 2,701
Like I said, it does fit but there is about 1 cm in excess at the top and bottom of the cup. Isolation is slightly altered, so. Clearer signature, and a bit more boomy bass, also. Clearly not an upgrade, only better comfort.

Another upgrade is the Fiio RC HD1 OCC cable can't sure it sounds better but louder for sure than 1.2m stock cable. I'm waiting for a pure silver one from Audio Minor. By the way, every cable for M50X, M40X and Senn HD5X8 will theoretically fit to Sig DJ/Pro.

About EQ... I have to be some kind of "purist" from the Hi-Fi world before coming later to Head-Fi one. For me, EQ is evil :smiling_imp:. If an audio material whatever it is should sound good, it has to be without any modification of the spectrum it was designed to deliver. My humble opinion, only!

There are two things that didn't need EQ from everything I tested : Senn ie800 and Senn  HE-1. Everything else need EQ to some degree. But EQ has come a long way now and it can sound as good as music without EQ these days! 

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #2,525 of 2,701

Same thing with ZMF Cowhide's... better comfort, but not a sound upgrade. There are more pads that I haven't tried but I actually like the Cowhide's comfort (plus I have other good sounding closed-backs, so the Sig DJs can suffer a bit in the sound department, they are still great to my ears.)

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #2,526 of 2,701
2nd week with SIG DJ.

I'm starting to get used to pads and overall comfort. I do have a slightly bigger head than average and clamping force is OK.

I'm still liking the sound very much. I only plan to try Sig DJ with Dragonfly Red tomorrow. Reason: I find my Mojo to be a bit bass heavy with Sig DJ. I'm seeking for a little softer amount of bass.

By the way, lower price here in France is actually 549€ (595$). That seems to be a total bargain!:metal:

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #2,528 of 2,701
By the way the Dekoni M50 pads wasn't a good matching. Sig DJ sound comgested and boomy with these.

I tried the 99 Classics pads (V2) and they fit perfectly to the Sig DJ. And when I mean perfectly, It's PERFECTLY:

That looks really funky! 

I have some kind of impression - bias. 

Since my 99C are heavily EQ'ed, I do have this slight fear that I might end up buying Sig Dj and return them because 99C EQ'ed can do the same thing at 1/3 of the price 
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #2,529 of 2,701
That looks really funky! 

I have some kind of impression - bias. 

Since my 99C are heavily EQ'ed, I do have this slight fear that I might end up buying Sig Dj and return them because 99C EQ'ed can do the same thing at 1/3 of the price :D

Bad results with 99C pads. Clamping force is stronger due to the fact they are thicker. Sounds soundstage a bit more open but less organised in presentation. Sound is fuller with stock pads. Verdict: changing pads of headphones is really complicated. While headphones have been designed to sound a specific way with stock pads. I prefer stock sound signature of the SIG DJ and I'm ready to lose comfort over SQ.

What about an EQ'ed 99C vs SIG DJ: What about 99C vs an also EQ'ed SIG DJ.:grin:

For now and after compared both side by side during a while, I would easily proclaim SIG DJ as beeing superior in many areas. Maybe I have been used to 99C too long and simply seeked for something different.

One important thing about pairing. I prefer the SIG DJ paired with my Dragonfly Red than my Mojo. (With 99C, quite the opposite).

I do think Mojo begins to show too heavy bass with Sig DJ. The DFR gives a more balanced and controlled presentation IMHO..

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #2,532 of 2,701
Ordered the Signature Dj today. Moon Audio is having a sale right now so I jumped on it. Should be getting them by Friday. Will let you know what I think after I get proper hours on them. Edit: Looks like they will be here Thursday. Not bad for free shipping!

Congratulations! Let's hope the purchase makes you happy! 

Congrats you will enjoy them still one of the best closed backs that money can buy.

I hope I'll manage to get my paws on one of these soon! 
Would be cool to see how they stack up against competition 
gs1000.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #2,534 of 2,701
  I still have  a set for sale if anyone is interested. $499.00 shoipped.

Arrghh!
I was actually going to suggest to someone your set but I saw that your classified was closed and steered them to Moon-audio which has them on sale! :frowning2:
That's an EXCELLENT price, guess I've said it quite a few times! I would actually buy it from you and have a second set, but sadly, too much stuff at home at the moment!

Ppl, if you are on the fence, contact Frank like ... NOW!!!!

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #2,535 of 2,701

Arrghh!
I was actually going to suggest to someone your set but I saw that your classified was closed and steered them to Moon-audio which has them on sale! :frowning2:
That's an EXCELLENT price, guess I've said it quite a few times! I would actually buy it from you and have a second set, but sadly, too much stuff at home at the moment!

Ppl, if you are on the fence, contact Frank like ... NOW!!!!

still in mont condition and will sell them for 499.00 shipped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back