Ultrasone PRO900
Nov 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #841 of 924
The Pro900's do metal extremely well and that is all I have in my collection by getting the Pro900's over the RS1i's you aren't going to be missing anything. They are probably the reason why I never heard this grado 'magic' people talk about. 

Quote:
Anyone able to tell me how the PRO 900s fair with rock/metal, specifically stuff like Underoath/August Burns Red etc? I like my AD900s, but I love to hear a punchy, thumping kick drum in my music and the AD900s don't provide that at all, thinking the PRO 900 might be my next headphones. I'd get the Grado RS1s but I think the PRO 900 might be a bit more of an all rounder for my computer gaming/ambient/acoustic music. Would be running the PRO 900 from my RSA Predator.

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #842 of 924

Quote:
The Pro900's do metal extremely well and that is all I have in my collection by getting the Pro900's over the RS1i's you aren't going to be missing anything. They are probably the reason why I never heard this grado 'magic' people talk about. 

Good stuff, that's what I wanted to hear
cool.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #843 of 924
The main difference that I noticed between the headphones was that the Grado's sounded open whereas the Pro900's sounded closed I also felt the Pro900's gave a more natural presentation. Although in light of the LCD-2 I can no longer make that claim anymore. 

Quote:
Good stuff, that's what I wanted to hear
cool.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #844 of 924

Quote:
The main difference that I noticed between the headphones was that the Grado's sounded open whereas the Pro900's sounded closed I also felt the Pro900's gave a more natural presentation. Although in light of the LCD-2 I can no longer make that claim anymore. 

Yeah fair enough. Thanks for that. What kind of description can you give me on the sound of the kick drum in the mix on the 900s? I am pretty adamant on finding something that can replicate similarly the kick drum from my sub in my car as it is so punchy without intruding onto the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #845 of 924
Thats pretty much how I describe the bass on my Pro900's and I do have a dedicated sub as reference. 

Quote:
Yeah fair enough. Thanks for that. What kind of description can you give me on the sound of the kick drum in the mix on the 900s? I am pretty adamant on finding something that can replicate similarly the kick drum from my sub in my car as it is so punchy without intruding onto the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #847 of 924

Quote:
It has been asked many times on here regarding the best amp to pair with these amazing headphones but there does not seem to be a clear winner.
(...) 

I had the same fear as well...

Basically, I was going to buy the iBasso D10 but when I got the Pro900s, news began to spread about a new upgraded version (called the D12). All I knew that the D12 would be an upgrade of the D10, therefore it wouldn't be radically different (I also knew it would use better components and sound chips). I refrained from buying the D10 but I already researched a lot about the D10 + Pro900 combination. Head-fiers using the Pro900 with the D10 have all been pleased about the sound quality and a lot of people praised the harmony between the headphones and the D10.

I didn't buy the D12 right after its release and waited for the people who got one from the first batch to report how it'd fare against its old counterpart (D10). When I found that it was substantially better in every aspect, I bought it in a heartbeat.
tongue.gif

But you're right when you do that analogy. An amp can do wonders but in your case, I don't know if they will sound $285 better. I'd say get one but don't get your hopes up too high. It's going to make them sound better, but I don't know how much better they will sound. However, with $219, you could get the iBasso D4 Mamba; Head-fiers say positive things about it (I suggest you check the D4 thread). Pro900s are low impedance headphones so I'm sure you can get a very nice sound quality if you pair them with a good portable amp. If I were you I'd avoid the $100 amps (like the Nuforce Icon Mobile): I owned this one and couldn't be more disappointed. It barely gets the job done and fell short of expectations.

You own an excellent pair of cans so combine them with an excellent portable amp.
redface.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #848 of 924
The Ibasso D4 Mamba is a great DAC, better actually, then the D10 when fed by USB.  I'd go for the D4 unless you need the extra connectivity options provided by the D10.   Amp wise, they both output enough power to drive the 900s, so you can't go wrong either way.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #849 of 924

Quote:

I had the same fear as well...

Basically, I was going to buy the iBasso D10 but when I got the Pro900s, news began to spread about a new upgraded version (called the D12) ....

.... When I found that it was substantially better in every aspect, I bought it in a heartbeat.
tongue.gif

But you're right when you do that analogy...

You own an excellent pair of cans so combine them with an excellent portable amp.
redface.gif

Hey LAH, thank you very much for your input!  I like it that you mentioned you did a lot of reading and research and found that the D10 was frequently paired with the Pro900 by other members, and that you are very pleased with your D12/Pro900 pairing.  I will keep this in my mind once my job situation solidifies.  Unfortunately, being in this hobby with an uncertain job situation is not a fun combination .
frown.gif

Quote:
The Ibasso D4 Mamba is a great DAC, better actually, then the D10 when fed by USB.  I'd go for the D4 unless you need the extra connectivity options provided by the D10.   Amp wise, they both output enough power to drive the 900s, so you can't go wrong either way.

Jibbie, thanks for your information on the D4.  That would save me a lot of money and fit my current situation better.  I do not know a lot about the extra connectivity options that you speak of.  Could you please elaborate a little on that for me?  And power wise, they are fairly similar?  I mainly use my Pro900 with my iPod Touch 3G or my old iPod nano 3G.  Volume wise, I do not need a lot more than what I already get through these players (well, occasionally I might be in the mood for a little more but I do not want to damage my ears any more than what has already been done to them during my younger clubbing days
redface.gif
).  I'll keep my eyes peeled for any of these iBasso products.

Any other brand or model suggestions too?  Would those cheap CMOYs or Fiio brands do anything?  It would be great if there was a model that could also control play/fwd/bck/volume/etc. like the Fiio amps have.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #850 of 924

The D4 can only receive digital input through a usb connection, while the D10 can also support optical and coaxial inputs.  If your computer doesn't have an optical out and you only plan on using a usb connection, then I suggest you go with the D4.  As far as the amp on both go, they are quite similar and would both drive the Pro 900 well.  Remember, an amp isn't just for increased volume.  An amp provides the drivers of a headphone with the current it needs to operate at its best, so you'll notice an increase in sound quality with an amp.  

I do not have experience with the Fiio products, but the plus side of getting the Ibasso D4/D10 is that if you ever decide to get a dedicated desktop amp in the future, the Ibasso's can serve as a good quality DAC.  The D4 does a great job at converting the digital signal from my laptop, and I have no plans on upgrading (maybe in a couple years).
Quote:

Hey LAH, thank you very much for your input!  I like it that you mentioned you did a lot of reading and research and found that the D10 was frequently paired with the Pro900 by other members, and that you are very pleased with your D12/Pro900 pairing.  I will keep this in my mind once my job situation solidifies.  Unfortunately, being in this hobby with an uncertain job situation is not a fun combination .
frown.gif

Jibbie, thanks for your information on the D4.  That would save me a lot of money and fit my current situation better.  I do not know a lot about the extra connectivity options that you speak of.  Could you please elaborate a little on that for me?  And power wise, they are fairly similar?  I mainly use my Pro900 with my iPod Touch 3G or my old iPod nano 3G.  Volume wise, I do not need a lot more than what I already get through these players (well, occasionally I might be in the mood for a little more but I do not want to damage my ears any more than what has already been done to them during my younger clubbing days
redface.gif
).  I'll keep my eyes peeled for any of these iBasso products.

Any other brand or model suggestions too?  Would those cheap CMOYs or Fiio brands do anything?  It would be great if there was a model that could also control play/fwd/bck/volume/etc. like the Fiio amps have.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #851 of 924
Also, the D12 combines the dual DAC chips found in the D4 with the amp and the connectivity options found in the D10.  So basically, D4+D10=D12.  But again, if you are only going to be using USB (and with an ipod LOD you will be) the D4 is the cheapest and probably best option.

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #852 of 924

Quote:
Also, the D12 combines the dual DAC chips found in the D4 with the amp and the connectivity options found in the D10.  So basically, D4+D10=D12.  But again, if you are only going to be using USB (and with an ipod LOD you will be) the D4 is the cheapest and probably best option.

Hey Jibbie, thanks for your comments.  The D4 does sound like an awesome buy.  I am too busy these days to really do any research on this Amp and DAC stuff.  But I did come across a thread about the P4.  Wow, so many choices just from iBasso alone.  So far, I am definitely leaning towards an iBasso because of he value/$ factor.  But which one???
confused.gif

So the purpose of the DAC is to improve the sound coming out of a computer/laptop?  And the P4 does not have a DAC option so it would only be able to be used as a portable amp?  Would the amp effect of the D4 be a fair amount less capable than the P4?  It's just that reading up on the P4 thread got me really interested in it but it would be good if it could be used at home on my desktop as well.

And I have no clue what the rolling amp option (or something like that) is?
confused.gif

When things settle down for me, I am going to do some serious reading and hopefully treat myself to one of these gadgets.  I would really like to know what my HPs are really capable of.

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #853 of 924
I have never heard the P4, so the comments I make are purely speculation.  According to the specs given on the Ibasso website, the P4 amp is better than the amp section of the D4 Mamba.  I primarily bought the D4 because I knew the DAC section was such a great buy at the price.  I do not use the amp section of the D4.  The P4 looks like it is much better suited as a portable amp to go along with an ipod, as it outputs more power and uses a 12v chargeable battery pack, compared with the D4's 9v batter or 5v from usb. 

Having said all that, it just depends on how you are going to use the amp you are about to buy.  If you are only going to pair it with an ipod, then I think the P4 would probably be the better choice.  If you want something that can also be used with you computer or could maybe be a dedicated DAC someday, if you ever plan on getting a full sized desktop amp, then the D4 would be the better choice.   The DAC section of it is truly great for its cost, and because the P4 has no usb connectivity, there really is no way to connect it to a laptop/computer.

Hope that helped.  Either way, you can't go wrong.  Ibasso makes great products at a good price.  I'm enjoying the D4's DAC, however, if I was in your shoes and only needed a portable amp to go with an ipod, I think I'd go with the P4.

Also, opamp rolling is the process by which you can change out an amps opamps to aftermarket ones.  By changing the opamps in any given amp, you effectively change that amps sonic signature, in other words, it will sound a bit different.  Rolling opamps is a great way to make an already owned amp sound better at a much lower cost than just buying a brand new amp.  It looks like the P4 comes with a variety of opamps, giving the user a good deal of customization.  Thats pretty cool I think.  And if you don't want to mess around with rolling opamps, then you don't have to.  Its just there if you ever decide to.

Quote:
Hey Jibbie, thanks for your comments.  The D4 does sound like an awesome buy.  I am too busy these days to really do any research on this Amp and DAC stuff.  But I did come across a thread about the P4.  Wow, so many choices just from iBasso alone.  So far, I am definitely leaning towards an iBasso because of he value/$ factor.  But which one???
confused.gif

So the purpose of the DAC is to improve the sound coming out of a computer/laptop?  And the P4 does not have a DAC option so it would only be able to be used as a portable amp?  Would the amp effect of the D4 be a fair amount less capable than the P4?  It's just that reading up on the P4 thread got me really interested in it but it would be good if it could be used at home on my desktop as well.

And I have no clue what the rolling amp option (or something like that) is?
confused.gif

When things settle down for me, I am going to do some serious reading and hopefully treat myself to one of these gadgets.  I would really like to know what my HPs are really capable of.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #854 of 924
Hello Jibbie, thank you very much for your time in responding to my questions.  Very much appreciated.  This is a tough decision that's for sure but leaning towards the P4 by a little.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #855 of 924
Yeah no problem.  I feel you man.  This website, as helpful and amazing as it is, can also be incredibly frustrating and contradictory.  I currently own the K701, but am looking for a bassier headphone.  I've never been so conflicted over a purchase as I am now.  The best words of advice I can give you are that, once you complete your setup and are happy with it, stop looking over these forums.  You'll only start questioning your decisions and doubting how good your setup is. 

Anyways, keep researching and goodluck with your purchase.  Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll find that it sounds very good.

Quote:
Hello Jibbie, thank you very much for your time in responding to my questions.  Very much appreciated.  This is a tough decision that's for sure but leaning towards the P4 by a little.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back