Ultrasone Pro 900's, Beyerdynamic DT880's, or Denon AHD-2000's?
Jul 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tigersinacage

Head-Fier
Good afternoon fellow Head-Fi’ers. So, here is my dilemma…

After reading a ludicrous amount of threads on here (No really, it was getting quite ridiculous) I finally bit the bullet and went for a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900’s. Received them a few days ago and have been burning them in since. (They’ve had around 100 hours so far) While I LOVE the sound they give for certain types of electronic music, I find the lack of mids a real problem. I like their bass, but wouldn’t necessarily call myself a bass-head. I just like to feel that it’s there, if that makes sense. I’ve come to the conclusion that their sound signature isn’t going to change drastically, even with more burn in time, so that’s why I’m thinking it might be best to return them while I still can.

My music taste is pretty varied, I listen to a lot of electronic and a fair amount of ambient stuff (Bonobo, Flying Lotus, Mount Kimbie) Along with hip-hop, I also love post-rock, acoustic (Andy Mckee, Justin King) Also love me some alternative-rock (Radiohead, Brand New etc) I‘ve just started producing electronic music in Ableton live, so I’m thinking more of a neutral, flat response would be best. Although, my auditory pleasure comes first in this, production second. Whether my mixes will translate to monitors is just a bonus, not a necessity.

How would the Beyerdynamic DT880’s compare? Currently have a Fiio E11 amp (Could be exchanged if there was a better pairing for the recommended cans) I was looking at the 32 and 250 ohm versions, but again, not sure which one to go for. I will mainly be using them with my Macbook and Fiio E11. Occasionally bringing them on the train with an iPod/iPad.

I can quite easily return the Pro 900’s to Amazon, but I’m really just stuck as to which headphones to get. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Denon AHD-2000’s. While I’d love the D5000’S, unfortunately my budget just can’t allow it. I’m really at the top end of my budget and looking to spend around £300 ($466)

Any other recommendations?

Without babbling on too much, I’m looking for a closed set of headphones (Or semi-open, like the Beyers) with a nice amount of bass, more mids than the Pro 900’s and a sparkly, but not so harsh treble. Minimal sound leakage would be a plus, but not a deal breaker.

Also, they don’t have to be Beyers, I’m willing to try anything, as long as it stays within my budget.

Thanks in advance. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 19
Yeah, I think it's for the best. Don't get me wrong, they're great headphones, I just felt a little underwhelmed by them. The pair that I returned before these were the ATH-M50's. Same thing happened with those...

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
After reading a ludicrous amount of threads on here (No really, it was getting quite ridiculous) I finally bit the bullet and went for a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900’s. Received them a few days ago and have been burning them in since. (They’ve had around 100 hours so far) While I LOVE the sound they give for certain types of electronic music, I find the lack of mids a real problem. I like their bass, but wouldn’t necessarily call myself a bass-head. I just like to feel that it’s there, if that makes sense. I’ve come to the conclusion that their sound signature isn’t going to change drastically, even with more burn in time, so that’s why I’m thinking it might be best to return them while I still can.
My music taste is pretty varied, I listen to a lot of electronic and a fair amount of ambient stuff (Bonobo, Flying Lotus, Mount Kimbie) Along with hip-hop, I also love post-rock, acoustic (Andy Mckee, Justin King) Also love me some alternative-rock (Radiohead, Brand New etc) I‘ve just started producing electronic music in Ableton live, so I’m thinking more of a neutral, flat response would be best. Although, my auditory pleasure comes first in this, production second. Whether my mixes will translate to monitors is just a bonus, not a necessity.
How would the Beyerdynamic DT880’s compare? Currently have a Fiio E11 amp (Could be exchanged if there was a better pairing for the recommended cans) I was looking at the 32 and 250 ohm versions, but again, not sure which one to go for. I will mainly be using them with my Macbook and Fiio E11. Occasionally bringing them on the train with an iPod/iPad.
I can quite easily return the Pro 900’s to Amazon, but I’m really just stuck as to which headphones to get. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Denon AD200’s. While I’d love the D500’S, unfortunately my budget just can’t allow it. I’m really at the top end of my budget and looking to spend around £300 ($466)
Any other recommendations?
Without babbling on too much, I’m looking for a closed set of headphones (Or semi-open, like the Beyers) with a nice amount of bass, more mids than the Pro 900’s and a sparkly, but not so harsh treble. Minimal sound leakage would be a plus, but not a deal breaker.
Also, they don’t have to be Beyers, I’m willing to try anything, as long as it stays within my budget.

Did you try putting the E11 on the high voltage setting (the setting is under the battery)?.\
There are several used DT880 for sale on eBay.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
Did you try putting the E11 on the high voltage setting (the setting is under the battery)?.\
There are several used DT880 for sale on eBay.

Yeah, it's set to high voltage. I've also tried it using low gain, volume turned up... and high gain, volume turned down. Just really underwhelmed with the sound. I do think it's the lack of mids that's doing it. They just sound a little thin for my liking. Apart from when I'm listening to anything electronic, that genre is where these headphones really shine.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 19
So I've been reading up a bit more and I think I'm definitely ready to pull the trigger on one of these three:

Beyerdynamic DT880 (250ohm)

Denon AHD-2000

AKG K550

Given my needs, does anyone have any thoughts on these?

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
So I've been reading up a bit more and I think I'm definitely ready to pull the trigger on one of these three:

Denon AHD-2000

AKG K550

Denon AHD-2000...I haven't heard the other 2 before (although I'm interested in get some Beyerdynamic's in the future). The Denon D2000 I've had for about a week now and I absolutely love them. They have a great natural sound. They've become my main music listening headphones and they seem to perform well no matter what genre of music.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Denon AHD-2000

AKG K550

The Fiio E11 can very easily drive the Denon AH-D2000 (25-Ohm) and the AKG K550 (32-Ohm).
The Macbook, iPod & iPad should be able to drive those two decently without the E11

My DT770 Pro 250-Ohm can be driven by my E11, but not super loud, but loud enough for normal listening.
The DT880 is an open/semi-open headphone, so not good for use in public.
So maybe go for the DT770 over the DT880

The AH-D2000 owners seem to really like it's bass
I would "guess" AKG K550 has the least bass of the three, but owners seem to really like the mid range stuff.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Denon AHD-2000...I haven't heard the other 2 before (although I'm interested in get some Beyerdynamic's in the future). The Denon D2000 I've had for about a week now and I absolutely love them. They have a great natural sound. They've become my main music listening headphones and they seem to perform well no matter what genre of music.

Good to know.. They're actualy pretty hard to find in the UK. I've definitely heard a lot of good things about them though. Thanks.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
The Fiio E11 can very easily drive the Denon AH-D2000 (25-Ohm) and the AKG K550 (32-Ohm).
The Macbook, iPod & iPad should be able to drive those two decently without the E11

My DT770 Pro 250-Ohm can be driven by my E11, but not super loud, but loud enough for normal listening.
The DT880 is an open/semi-open headphone, so not good for use in public.
So maybe go for the DT770 over the DT880

The AH-D2000 owners seem to really like it's bass
I would "guess" AKG K550 has the least bass of the three, but owners seem to really like the mid range stuff.

Cool, thanks for that. The Pro 900's actually seem to leak sound a hell of a lot, so I'm wondering how the DT880's compare.

Also, would the Fiio E17 be a better choice? I like the fact you can charge and play at the same time, which is something that gets a little annoying on the E11 sometimes. Not sure about the differences in sound quality though.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Cool, thanks for that. The Pro 900's actually seem to leak sound a hell of a lot, so I'm wondering how the DT880's compare.

Also, would the Fiio E17 be a better choice? I like the fact you can charge and play at the same time, which is something that gets a little annoying on the E11 sometimes. Not sure about the differences in sound quality though.

The headphone amplifiers on the E11 and E17 are about equal.
You could only use the DAC feature of the E17 with an apple product with a digital output, which the Macbook should have.
For the E11, for around $13, you can get two spare batteries (BL-5B) and a simple AC battery charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back