Ultrasone PRO-900 V.S Denon AH-D2000
Feb 12, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 6
I can't speak for the d2k's, but I'll speak for the d5k's and it does have a lot of bass, but I feel that's it bloated and not controlled. However, when plugged into my DV Amp, the bass has less impact and is more controlled.  Whereas, the pro-900's have good bass impact and definition.

The only bad thing about the pro-900's is the the comfort level.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 6
Having owned both, I'd say that the D2000 is the more balanced of the two.  It has a much flatter frequency response across the spectrum.  Because of this, the Denons would probably make the best all-rounders.  That said, I really loved the bass of the PRO900.  It was ridiculously powerful, but it didn't feel bloated or monotonous.  With that in mind, you might prefer the PRO900 for your specific genre tastes--especially anything that relies on a throbbing bass line.  The PRO900's titanium driver is definitely less forgiving of poor quality files though, so you might want to keep that in mind.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 6
Amp-less I would suggest Sony XB500 for bass and decent overall balanced sound. If you're going to move up to a solid state offering then a HFI-780/Pro-750/900 would deliver the sound you're looking for. IMO Denon D2000 don't come alive until paired with a decent tube amp. I would also suggest JVC HARX700 for good all-rounders which sound great without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back