Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #4,306 of 5,992

Quote:
Is it only for me that the bass seem louder in the left cup? I can definitely 'feel' it more than the right cup and it's been like this since I got them. On some songs there's a big difference while others there aren't. I'm not sure if it's something wrong with my setup, or if it's just some songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsUrStYDsAg

At 0:52 in this song there's definitely a difference. Is it the same for you in this particular song?

The Pro 900s are some of the pickiest headphones when it comes to their positioning on the head, making the sound easily pan to the left or right. When I first got them, I spent countless hours adjusting balance because I kept having sound going from left to right without ever having perfect center, only to later find out about the head position situation.

There isn't any difference on mine at 0:52.

What gear are you using along with the Pro 900s?

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #4,307 of 5,992

Quote:

The Pro 900s are some of the pickiest headphones when it comes to their positioning on the head, making the sound easily pan to the left or right. When I first got them, I spent countless hours adjusting balance because I kept having sound going from left to right without ever having perfect center, only to later find out about the head position situation.

There isn't any difference on mine at 0:52.

What gear are you using along with the Pro 900s?

I have noticed that it is very picky about the positioning. But the difference is so big that I doubt it's the positioning, I have tried it every possible way and reposition the pads. The gear I'm using is the dac in Essence ST to Musical Fidelity x-can V8 amp, and I just tried it from a completely different gear and the problem is the same. I can only hear this problem with deep bass, and it's more noticeable on higher volumes. Otherwise it's fine.. 
confused.gif

Edit: Hmm, maybe it is the positioning on the head after all. Because when I wear them the wrong way (left is on the right and vice versa) the sound is balanced. So perhaps it is due to my ears and S-logic?

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #4,308 of 5,992

Quote:
I have noticed that it is very picky about the positioning. But the difference is so big that I doubt it's the positioning, I have tried it every possible way and reposition the pads. The gear I'm using is the dac in Essence ST to Musical Fidelity x-can V8 amp, and I just tried it from a completely different gear and the problem is the same. I can only hear this problem with deep bass, and it's more noticeable on higher volumes. Otherwise it's fine.. 
confused.gif

Edit: Hmm, maybe it is the positioning on the head after all. Because when I wear them the wrong way (left is on the right and vice versa) the sound is balanced. So perhaps it is due to my ears and S-logic?

Well, if there's a channel imbalance, it will be noticeable with all audio. And I did forget to mention pad position, as that was also something that messed my center stage the first time I took the pads off.

For obvious reasons they sound different when we wear them backwards, but believe me when I tell you that it's quite usual that I have to adjust them carefully every day, and sometimes I feel like the center stage is dancing in my head like it's trying to get away from the middle :)

And S-Logic doesn't do so many dramatic changes in sound like some claim. Aside from a bit of driver tuning, it's also about how the driver is set in the enclosure.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #4,309 of 5,992

Quote:
Well, if there's a channel imbalance, it will be noticeable with all audio. And I did forget to mention pad position, as that was also something that messed my center stage the first time I took the pads off.

For obvious reasons they sound different when we wear them backwards, but believe me when I tell you that it's quite usual that I have to adjust them carefully every day, and sometimes I feel like the center stage is dancing in my head like it's trying to get away from the middle :)

And S-Logic doesn't do so many dramatic changes in sound like some claim. Aside from a bit of driver tuning, it's also about how the driver is set in the enclosure.

I'm going to play around with the positioning and the pads some more and see if I can improve it. Thanks for your replies!

Edit: I think I got it now. It's definitely the pads. I found that when the thicker part of the pads is pointing down toward the neck the bass is much stronger. It's much better now!
I must ask you, how have you positioned the pads?

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #4,310 of 5,992

Quote:
I'm going to play around with the positioning and the pads some more and see if I can improve it. Thanks for your replies!

Edit: I think I got it now. It's definitely the pads. I found that when the thicker part of the pads is pointing down toward the neck the bass is much stronger. It's much better now!
I must ask you, how have you positioned the pads?

Thicker part? I thought the 900 pads were even all around... At least mine are... perfectly round with the same thickness all around.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #4,311 of 5,992

Quote:
Thicker part? I thought the 900 pads were even all around... At least mine are... perfectly round with the same thickness all around.

On mine it's obvious that they're not the same thickness all around. I'll try to get some photos.

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #4,312 of 5,992

Quote:
On mine it's obvious that they're not the same thickness all around. I'll try to get some photos.

The pads are meant to have the same thickness all around. Do both your pairs have the same thickness differences?

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #4,313 of 5,992
May I simply add that mine are also 100% flat and identical all round.

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #4,314 of 5,992

Quote:

Yeah, something's wrong if they are not even.
I have 3 pairs of pads and they are all perfectly round and even thickness (as much as cloth pads can be I suppose), from the side view and top view.

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #4,315 of 5,992

Quote:
The pads are meant to have the same thickness all around. Do both your pairs have the same thickness differences?

Yes, all of them are more or less uneven. One is clearly thicker:

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #4,316 of 5,992

Quote:

There is a small but noticeable thickness difference. Shouldn't happen.

Mainly, you should position them in order to obtain the best seal.

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #4,317 of 5,992

Quote:

Yeah, the top one is clear uneven. I don't think that's normal. Manufacturing defect or counterfeit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back