Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #4,321 of 5,992
Well I bought from amazon so the chances that it is a counterfeit is fairly slim i would think.
I think I do notice a slight change in the sound when switching the pads. Might have to try some J$ pads that I've heard a lot about.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #4,322 of 5,992
Broke the plastic swivel on my 900s :frowning2: its just the small probably 1.00 piece that needs to be fixed, but I'm gonna need to pay for it since its not covered under warranty. anyone have any guesses on repair cost?

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #4,324 of 5,992
yeah that's really curious, they are so sturdy

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #4,325 of 5,992
This is embarrassing and sad to even
Talk about haha. But I was listening to them before bed one night and when I finished I set them next to my bed on the ground and ended up stepping on them when I woke up. Gladly I didn't break the head band.

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #4,327 of 5,992

Quote:
How would the ultrasones sound while being bass boosted with a fiio e7 amp?

In my experience these don't really need a bass boost amp but an amp that gives it a bit of power/drive and it should be good.  I've tried it with the Fiio E11 and it was a solid match so I would assume E7 shouldn't be bad.  Depends on how much bass you like and most with these headphones just can't get enough bass.  
basshead.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #4,329 of 5,992

Quote:
I hadn't use my pair of Pro 900 for months (I returned to my hd650 and T50rp). I took em' off the shelf and listened to some Beck... I'm in LOOOOOOOVE 

your girlfriend should be jealous
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #4,331 of 5,992

Quote:
So coming from the bloaty Beats Studio, will these be a great alternative? with the bass boost fiio e7?

Yes, you will find that you get a lot more for your money, both in sound and build quality.

If you're just asking about a headphone amp to pair with the Pro 900, you might do better if you skip the DAC-Amp combo that is the FiiO E7 and go with the FiiO E11 that is amp alone. Or you could spend a bit further and get a higher quality DAC-Amp combo, the FiiO E17, which has both a better DAC and an amp section.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #4,332 of 5,992

Quote:
Yes, you will find that you get a lot more for your money, both in sound and build quality.

If you're just asking about a headphone amp to pair with the Pro 900, you might do better if you skip the DAC-Amp combo that is the FiiO E7 and go with the FiiO E11 that is amp alone. Or you could spend a bit further and get a higher quality DAC-Amp combo, the FiiO E17, which has both a better DAC and an amp section.

The biggest question I have had that has been somewhat unanswered since I joined head fi: How does the IMPACT compare, while amped AND the bass boost option for the e11 or any other fiio bass amp ACTIVE.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #4,333 of 5,992

Quote:
The biggest question I have had that has been somewhat unanswered since I joined head fi: How does the IMPACT compare, while amped AND the bass boost option for the e11 or any other fiio bass amp ACTIVE.

The Ultrasone Pro 900 are some of the hardest hitting headphones ever made, flagship or otherwise, and that is only brought up further through additional amping. Do note I'm just talking about amping, I'm not even talking about adding bass boost to them. If you're looking for both bass quantity AND quality, these headphones should be near or at the top of your list.

Do keep in mind that the Pro 900 are already bass emphasized headphones, which means that not all bass boosts available will actually improve on what the hardware already does. I certainly wouldn't recommend you using a FiiO E5 or E6 (too weak of amps and severely mismatched with the headphones in question), nor the E7 (too dry presentation that only hurts the slighly bright headphones signature). The E11 could be a good match since it leans towards a warmer sound, and the E17 is bound to be a good match as well. A very popular headphone bass amplifier, the digiZoid ZO2, that works wonders with many headphones, does not match properly with the Pro 900. So basically, some research is required for gear pairing.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #4,334 of 5,992

Quote:
The Ultrasone Pro 900 are some of the hardest hitting headphones ever made, flagship or otherwise, and that is only brought up further through additional amping. Do note I'm just talking about amping, I'm not even talking about adding bass boost to them. If you're looking for both bass quantity AND quality, these headphones should be near or at the top of your list.

Do keep in mind that the Pro 900 are already bass emphasized headphones, which means that not all bass boosts available will actually improve on what the hardware already does. I certainly wouldn't recommend you using a FiiO E5 or E6 (too weak of amps and severely mismatched with the headphones in question), nor the E7 (too dry presentation that only hurts the slighly bright headphones signature). The E11 could be a good match since it leans towards a warmer sound, and the E17 is bound to be a good match as well. A very popular headphone bass amplifier, the digiZoid ZO2, that works wonders with many headphones, does not match properly with the Pro 900. So basically, some research is required for gear pairing.

Definitely agree with this having experience using some of the gear mentioned.  

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #4,335 of 5,992

Quote:

Outside of the FiiO gear mentioned, what amplifiers do you reckon are good matches with the Pro 900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back