Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #3,991 of 5,992

Quote:
So you're going for the 580's are you? To be honest I don't think they are much more Portable than the pro900's. Anyway I don't want to impact your decision. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm very indecisive and analytical. I'd like to purchase both the Pro700mk2 and 580's eventually, I'm just not sure which one I'm going to go with first as I can't pick out a favorite.

I'm probably going to replace my e5 amp with the ZO2 amp in the near future to compensate for the 580's lesser bass. I might just order the 580's and ZO2 soon and just keep SVC contour (bass) level on high. I haven't made up my mind on anything yet. 

I just wish I can audition both!

They're probably not significantly more portable but they are thinner and look smaller. Plus I'd probably be less sad accidentally scratching the 580's over the Pro 900's.
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #3,993 of 5,992

Quote:

I'm very indecisive and analytical. I'd like to purchase both the Pro700mk2 and 580's eventually, I'm just not sure which one I'm going to go with first as I can't pick out a favorite.

I'm probably going to replace my e5 amp with the ZO2 amp in the near future to compensate for the 580's lesser bass. I might just order the 580's and ZO2 soon and just keep SVC contour (bass) level on high. I haven't made up my mind on anything yet. 

I just wish I can audition both!

They're probably not significantly more portable but they are thinner and look smaller. Plus I'd probably be less sad accidentally scratching the 580's over the Pro 900's.
tongue.gif

I'm the same I can never make up my mind on anything!!

Isn't there a store near buy with demo units? That's the only way I could make a decision on my cans.

Also the ZO2 is a must for a bass head like yourself.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #3,995 of 5,992
I think the super long cable of the 580 made it annoying for portable use. The identical DJ1 seems better in this regard as it has a coiled cable, but then you may not like the looks of it compared to the 580.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #3,996 of 5,992
After my audition of the pro900 i've decided i have to buy a pair, so have any UK owners bought these from ebay seller thimpuway10 as they are a decent saving over the uk rrp.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #3,997 of 5,992

Quote:
After my audition of the pro900 i've decided i have to buy a pair, so have any UK owners bought these from ebay seller thimpuway10 as they are a decent saving over the uk rrp.

Although I'm not from the UK I noticed that Amazon UK has a seller with them going for £249 and personally I'd feel safer going that route.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #3,999 of 5,992
Compared to DT-770 Pro 250-ohm, they have slightly less sub-bass, significantly more mid-bass, higher resolution and detail, similar mids, brighter treble, maybe very slightly less soundstage, quicker response and speed, not as comfortable, not as isolating and leak sound more. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #4,000 of 5,992

Quote:
Would you guys mind posting some pictures of you guys wearing the headphones so I have a reference of how big they are? Thanks in advance!

Big, but not Beyer big.

Quote:
I think the super long cable of the 580 made it annoying for portable use. The identical DJ1 seems better in this regard as it has a coiled cable, but then you may not like the looks of it compared to the 580.

Yea, why they're twice as long as the Pro 900 cable? That's why though, I'd just braid the cable :) or have my girlfriend do it. I don't like how the DJ1s look
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #4,001 of 5,992
I got my Pro 900s in a couple of weeks ago and I have to say at first I really was quite unhappy with my purchase. I played them through my Xonar Essence STX, my FiiO E10 and finally my CmoyBB and really for the first few days I wasn't happy with anything other than their intended genres for general listening and even then the treble was so harsh that I fatigued extremely quickly.

However, given ~20 hours of burn-in I began to notice the harsh tones began to soften, the bass tightened up and the soundstage even seemed to open up, especially once I realized I had been using the Low Gain setting on my E10. Now that I'm closing in on 50 hours with them I also have my new Little Dot MK III which has about 20 hours on it so far and I can say I'm honestly incredibly happy now with the purchase. I think the warmth of the tube amp goes a long way to making these work for me specifically.

I bought these with the intention of not using them as a general headphone but the more they and the MK III mature the more I find I like them for that purpose. I'm not sure it will stop me from buying the A900X to replace my A700s as my true general purpose cans but these are getting a good deal more use than I ever thought they would to be honest. Thank you to the OP and the others in this thread, I likely would not have jumped on these otherwise, even at the $300 price point I paid.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #4,002 of 5,992
First I was a little bit surprised by the sound signature, I liked them at first but they were not really what I expected. However after a few hours of listening I quickly got used to the sound and fell in love with them. I tried them from different sources and with a neutral to warmer amp they shine. They can get quite sibilant and harsh from the wrong source. Just from an ipod they sound terrible! The best headphone purchase I've done so far and I payed £380 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I got my Pro 900s in a couple of weeks ago and I have to say at first I really was quite unhappy with my purchase. I played them through my Xonar Essence STX, my FiiO E10 and finally my CmoyBB and really for the first few days I wasn't happy with anything other than their intended genres for general listening and even then the treble was so harsh that I fatigued extremely quickly.

However, given ~20 hours of burn-in I began to notice the harsh tones began to soften, the bass tightened up and the soundstage even seemed to open up, especially once I realized I had been using the Low Gain setting on my E10. Now that I'm closing in on 50 hours with them I also have my new Little Dot MK III which has about 20 hours on it so far and I can say I'm honestly incredibly happy now with the purchase. I think the warmth of the tube amp goes a long way to making these work for me specifically.

I bought these with the intention of not using them as a general headphone but the more they and the MK III mature the more I find I like them for that purpose. I'm not sure it will stop me from buying the A900X to replace my A700s as my true general purpose cans but these are getting a good deal more use than I ever thought they would to be honest. Thank you to the OP and the others in this thread, I likely would not have jumped on these otherwise, even at the $300 price point I paid.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #4,003 of 5,992

Quote:
How do they compare to the;
M50's
Beyer 770 Pro's 
Koss PRO DJ100 ( I know they are cheap.. but.. is there a hugeee difference?)
dt880smile.png

The M50s are smaller. I would wear the M50 in public. Pro 900? Not so sure..

As for SQ, the Pro 900 sound better, but I wouldn't say they're "74828497 steps ahead" of the M50. I don't know if they're even twice as good either. But you know, it's popular to hate on the M50 nowadays, so ...

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #4,004 of 5,992

Quote:
How do they compare to the;
M50's
Beyer 770 Pro's 
Koss PRO DJ100 ( I know they are cheap.. but.. is there a hugeee difference?)
dt880smile.png

Pro 900's are like 74828497 steps ahead of the M50. Pro 900>HFI-580>M50. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #4,005 of 5,992
Is anyone using these with the Clip+? I was planning on purchasing the Clip+ so I used my friend's Clip+ w/my E5, made a quick 30sec EQ, and the sound was too bright compared to my iPhone 4S. I'm going to play around with the EQ more to tone down the highs.
Any suggestions?

Is there a better mp3 player around the same price or just slightly more expensive?

*Nvm, ordering these. I took a little more time to EQ these. They sound much better than from my iPhone and the bass is now ridiculous. I can't imagine how these would sound when my ZO2 arrives
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back