Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #3,556 of 5,992
Thank you, I appreciate the compliment, but many people had the Pro 900 long before I did, and many other people will have it longer (I've recently sold mine).

The Pro 900 are probably the best choice for you.  They have awesome levels of bass, but not in a bad way; never does it make the music muddy, and never does it sound out of place (assuming you listen to them expecting that much bass, otherwise, the bass would easily seem overpowering).  They play Electronic music with an incredibly fast and authoritative presence, and they even do other genres like Metal and acoustic justice.  

The Denon's bass, while not as powerful, extends just as deep and has a satisfying "subwoofer" feel to it.  Even though it is quieter than the bass on the Ultrasone, the bass of the D2000 constantly tricked my brain into thinking a my sub was actually on, a pretty cool affect.  For sheer bass volume and speed, however, the Pro 900 easily wins.

They are both great headphones, and in my opinion, the only determining factor on which one to get is the listener's musical preferences and how he/she likes their bass served.

Pro 900: HUGE bass, primarily listens to Electronic music
Denon D2000: Strong, deep bass, great with many genres.

I compared the two and let the Pro 900 go, and I currently own a D5000 and love it.  But I will always concede that, for purely EDM, the Pro 900 is the better headphone.

Quote:
thanks for the quick response, i officially see you as the ultrasone pro 900 expert of head-fi :)

umm u think the denons are close enough to the hd 650s to justify me skipping them and getting the ultrasone instead for their crazy bass.  i know the denons have a more refined sound, but i feel that they might be too similar sounding to the hd 650.

i want a really bass heavy headphone, but i dunno how much bass the pro 900s have compared to per say the denons and the hd 650s. i dont know if the extra bass is enough to justify the recessed mids and more artificial sound compared to the denons, or whether the hd 650s can satisfy that need for clean bass and quality whenever i need it whereas the pro 900s will quench my thirst for bass.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #3,557 of 5,992

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate the compliment, but many people have had the Pro 900 long before I did, and many other people will have it longer than I did (I've recently sold mine).

The Pro 900 are probably the best choice for you.  They have awesome levels of bass, but not in a bad way; never does it make the music muddy, and never does it sound out of place (assuming you listen to them expecting that much bass, otherwise, the bass would easily seem overpowering).  They play Electronic music with an incredibly fast and authoritative presence, and they even do other genres like Metal and acoustic justice.  

The Denon's bass, while not as powerful, extends just as deep and has a satisfying "subwoofer" feel to it.  Even though it is quieter than the bass on the Ultrasone, the bass of the D2000 constantly tricked my brain into thinking a my sub was actually on, a pretty cool affect.  For sheer bass volume and speed, however, the Pro 900 easily wins.

They are both great headphones, and in my opinion, the only determining factor on which one to get is the listener's musical preferences and how he/she likes their bass served.

I compared the two and let the Pro 900 go, and I currently own a D5000 and love it.  But I will always concede that, for purely EDM, the Pro 900 is the better headphone.

thanks, looks like pro 900s it is :)

ill use my hd 650s for whenever i was strong but cleaner bass sound for other genres. i also got my 990s as well.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #3,558 of 5,992

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate the compliment, but many people have had the Pro 900 long before I did, and many other people will have it longer than I did (I've recently sold mine).

ill use my hd 650s for whenever i was strong but cleaner bass sound for other genres. i also got my 990s as well.

and you still are jibbie - the ultrasone master! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #3,559 of 5,992
Try the "Kees" mod when you get them. It really made the mids come out, though it did reduce the bass quite a bit. Overall it made the Pro 900 a better multi-genre headphone. I honestly would describe it how some people describe the Pro 2900, just without the open back and airness to the music. I also did not like the Kees Mod at first because I was so used to the 900s signature sound, but after a week or two it really grew on me and could not see myself going back. Hence the Kees Mod has really made it difficult for me to decide if I want to buy the Pro 2900 or not.

Decisions, decisions....

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #3,560 of 5,992

Quote:
First post..
Also my first step away from the beats IEM's I have. 
eek.gif

Yea.. I know but I was on a 4 hour layover in LA, got drunk and found a Best Buy machine.
Love me some metal and dubstep so I'm thinking I just found my next headset with these 900's.
If I do I'm wondering how many of you uses these while traveling? I would be using them quite a bit when I fly.
How's the mobility with them?

I do transatlantic flights once every 4 months and international flights about every 2.  Before I got my customs, I used the PRO900 a lot--I didn't travel with anything else. The cans flipping around makes it pretty easy to take them on and off.  Don't be deceived by pictures, though--the cups are pretty damn big.  I would not call them portables.  Try to find a pic of them on someone's head for reference.  They sound great out of any portable device, and only require a tiny amp to get the very best out of them--I used the digiZoid ZO, which is about the size of two 25-cent packs of gum side-by-side.

They do come with a very nice little zippered hard case that they stow neatly into.  I say buy them and never look back.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #3,561 of 5,992
Quote:
I do transatlantic flights once every 4 months and international flights about every 2.  Before I got my customs, I used the PRO900 a lot--I didn't travel with anything else. The cans flipping around makes it pretty easy to take them on and off.  Don't be deceived by pictures, though--the cups are pretty damn big.  I would not call them portables.  Try to find a pic of them on someone's head for reference.  They sound great out of any portable device, and only require a tiny amp to get the very best out of them--I used the digiZoid ZO, which is about the size of two 25-cent packs of gum side-by-side.

They do come with a very nice little zippered hard case that they stow neatly into.  I say buy them and never look back.

Don't even try to use the pro900s on a plane. I ended up having to turn them up way past what I would consider high volumn just to hear what I was listening to over the engine. For a plane use iems or noise cancellation.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #3,562 of 5,992

Quote:
Don't even try to use the pro900s on a plane. I ended up having to turn them up way past what I would consider high volumn just to hear what I was listening to over the engine. For a plane use iems or noise cancellation.

Agreed. Zero isolation.

My main problem though with planes is that the high pressure thing makes everything feel weird, even music, so there wasn't any difference really.

I wore in-ears the whole time under the PROs to get more isolation, but it still wasn't enough. Good thing I don't travel much or I might have it to invest in Bose or some ANC headphones.

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #3,563 of 5,992
Well I fly multiple times a year. Some flight’s are 18hrs.  I originally joined the site to research IEM’S but the full cans really got me thinking.
I got interested in the Ultrasone Pro 900 and 750’s because of the bass talk. The only thing I like about beats was the bass. But it’s not clean at all.
 I have some S4’S I can use for gym and what not but was thinking of dipping my toes into some audiophile grade equipment.
Also yes I have been using Google to try and see how these look on somebody.
This site rocks and thanks for all and any help!

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #3,564 of 5,992

Quote:

XB700 pads.  Never even tried them with stock pads...so good point.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #3,565 of 5,992
Quote:
Agreed. Zero isolation.

My main problem though with planes is that the high pressure thing makes everything feel weird, even music, so there wasn't any difference really.

I wore in-ears the whole time under the PROs to get more isolation, but it still wasn't enough. Good thing I don't travel much or I might have it to invest in Bose or some ANC headphones.

See above.  I actually found that the isolation with the XB700 pads was outstanding...nearly as good as my customs.  A helluva lot cheaper and way better sounding than anything Bose makes.  Ugly, though.

Quote:
Well I fly multiple times a year. Some flight’s are 18hrs.  I originally joined the site to research IEM’S but the full cans really got me thinking.
I got interested in the Ultrasone Pro 900 and 750’s because of the bass talk. The only thing I like about beats was the bass. But it’s not clean at all.
 I have some S4’S I can use for gym and what not but was thinking of dipping my toes into some audiophile grade equipment.
Also yes I have been using Google to try and see how these look on somebody.
This site rocks and thanks for all and any help!

If you travel a LOT and have the money, check out the 1964Ears Quad custom IEM.  It's a suitable alternative, bass-wise, and the sound is significantly less polarizing than the PRO900--it's much easier to listen to, and I think I'm about the only person who has ever bought one that was not blown away by them; that's only because I love the peaky highs of the PRO900.  I still use them 10 hours a day or so, and when I travelled back here last time I probably had them in my ears for 30+ hours.  Isolation is -29db, which is on par with the low-end Bose.

My review is here.

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #3,566 of 5,992

Quote:

Be sure to update us on your comparison thread. You have all the cans except the D2000, that I've been considering on there.

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #3,567 of 5,992
i was considering the d7000s but i wanted some cables, so i bought the pro 900s :)

hmmm....i think i should get d7000s, but on some thread someone said that the lcd-2 is only a bit more and is like better than the d7000 at everything.

i could buy a d2000 but it feels like i could pay just a bit more and get one of its bigger brothers.

Nov 5, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #3,568 of 5,992
Quote:
i was considering the d7000s but i wanted some cables, so i bought the pro 900s :)

hmmm....i think i should get d7000s, but on some thread someone said that the lcd-2 is only a bit more and is like better than the d7000 at everything.

i could buy a d2000 but it feels like i could pay just a bit more and get one of its bigger brothers.

Just buy them already if you have the funds. Assuming you will continue down this path, in which case you will end up there anyways. Just know when buying a top tier headphone, you will need a top tier amp/dac to go along with it.

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #3,569 of 5,992

Quote:
Just buy them already if you have the funds. Assuming you will continue down this path, in which case you will end up there anyways. Just know when buying a top tier headphone, you will need a top tier amp/dac to go along with it.

what would be considered top tier??

i thought my WA6SE + DLIII are good

Nov 5, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #3,570 of 5,992
Quote:
what would be considered top tier??

i thought my WA6SE + DLIII are good

Forgive me, I didn't notice the gear you have in the sig. From the looks of it you're all set to just buy an LCD-2. Though can I ask why you have not explored the 1k territory of headphones considering the Amp and DAC you currently own. I'd quit beating around the bush and just splurge on a 1k set of cans just so you can cure yourself of upgraditis.... for now
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back