Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #2,911 of 5,992
Congratz Optimus....

I have various removable cables from Drew (a couple for sale in my sig.....shameless plug...lol...have to clear some inventory)...I also have several re-cabled Ultrasones (split-entry) by Drew...(Sorry not 900s though)....The cables need at least 75 hours of burn-in to open up...

Again, congratz on your tweak to get the best out of your "sones...

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #2,912 of 5,992
I have 900s coming tomorrow and this thread is totally killing my excitement. Thanks. Isn't this an appreciation thread? I'm going to forget all the smack talk I just read and try to enjoy my new cans.

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2,914 of 5,992

Quote:
Congratz Optimus....

I have various removable cables from Drew (a couple for sale in my sig.....shameless plug...lol...have to clear some inventory)...I also have several re-cabled Ultrasones (split-entry) by Drew...(Sorry not 900s though)....The cables need at least 75 hours of burn-in to open up...

Again, congratz on your tweak to get the best out of your "sones...

Thanks man..
I think the previous owner did that burn in thing for me...
wink.gif

Care to share your impressions about Blue Dragon?
I would like to hear what you think....

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #2,915 of 5,992

Quote:
Thanks man..
I think the previous owner did that burn in thing for me...
wink.gif

Care to share your impressions about Blue Dragon?
I would like to hear what you think....

Well, let's see.  I remember receiving the package from North Carolina a while ago.  In it was a Blue Dragon removable for Ultrasones.  Got everything ready (source, amp, chair, lighting etc...)...and plugged them in....Hmmm...What happened?  My PRO900s sounded like a Grado...
eek.gif

LOL....just kidding of course

Optimus, in all honestly, I love 'em...I feel it gives you that last "tweak" once everything else is in order.  This is all imo only of course from what I have tried...:

When it comes to getting that last bit of goodness, your chain must be in order.  Source material, source, amp etc....If you have lossy, re-rip to lossless etc....If there is a weak link, the upgrade will not be noticeable.  All the Ultrasones I have ever listened to, all scale very well with various gear (amps, dacs etc.)

What you get with the Blue Dragon once everything is in order is smoothness and bass texture.  Not bass quantity (PRO900s have that already), but a refined presentation with great extension.

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #2,916 of 5,992

Quote:

Quote:
Well, let's see.  I remember receiving the package from North Carolina a while ago.  In it was a Blue Dragon removable for Ultrasones.  Got everything ready (source, amp, chair, lighting etc...)...and plugged them in....Hmmm...What happened?  My PRO900s sounded like a Grado...
eek.gif

LOL....just kidding of course

You almost fooled me there...
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Optimus, in all honestly, I love 'em...I feel it gives you that last "tweak" once everything else is in order.  This is all imo only of course from what I have tried...:

When it comes to getting that last bit of goodness, your chain must be in order.  Source material, source, amp etc....If you have lossy, re-rip to lossless etc....If there is a weak link, the upgrade will not be noticeable.  All the Ultrasones I have ever listened to, all scale very well with various gear (amps, dacs etc.)

What you get with the Blue Dragon once everything is in order is smoothness and bass texture.  Not bass quantity (PRO900s have that already), but a refined presentation with great extension.

Yeah you are right,definitely one must have a good source and well recorded music. so as to evaluate any sonic changes.
What i am experiencing on my first hours with the cable is that the bass impact is more punchy than with the stock one..
It seems that i can hear more layers of the bass that were not presented before..
Also the sound has a small amount of fullness in it..
Anyway i need more time to form a solid opinion,it's too early to jump to conclusions..

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #2,917 of 5,992
My 2900s are HERE!! Very premature impressions (out of a Zune only (I'm on vacation lol): These pads seem quite a bit thinner than the Pro 900 pads were. They are definitely softer too-they remind me of the silver 900 pads. With a MASSIVE grain of salt after 5 minutes of listening-I already like them more than I ever did the 900s. The mids are only mildly recessed, and vocals come out clear as day. Bass is positively excellent-but we knew that already. Airiness is there-that's the biggest complaint I had of the 900s, and they don't seem quite as metallic sounding.

Obviously I need much more headtime with them, but that won't really happen on proper equipment for probably another week! Stay tuned...

-Daniel

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #2,918 of 5,992
Great Daniel...
Looking forward for your review..

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #2,919 of 5,992
Errrmmmmm....

I must've bought mine over 1 1/2 years ago. 

In the space of that time, I've listened to them ... about 3 times. 

The Ultrasone 900s are very spacious sounding: I use my Sony HiMd minidisc and a TTVJ Milletts (my favourite combo for source and amp) to drive them.  I usually use a pair of Senns HD25-I IIs' which are my all time favourite travel headphones. 

Firstly - the Ultrasones do not seal off the external world anything like the Sennheiser HD25s.  Although the manufacturer says that their design enables lower volumes, this is not the case, if you are travelling in busy places, which requires you to turn up the volume, in order to block the sound out.  Whereas the Senns HD25s ... seal off sound better than most closed backs (are there any better... other than a Victorian head clamp?)

The Ultrasone sound is very 3-d - the sound stage does indeed sound open.  But it is totally the wrong combination for my TTVJ Milletts tube amp.   It makes recordings sound 'live' ... if not, live, from the back end of a concert hall.  

My other amp, is a Headamp Pico Slim, limited edition, which I've used about twice. 

Paired with the Headamp Pico Slim, the Ultrasone Pro900s fare much better in this combination for me.  

That is - both played, a maximum of 3 times, for less than 3 hours, and left pristine in their boxes for some museum collector to come along in the future to exclaim what beautifully designed, and desirable pieces of head kit, but never used ;/

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #2,920 of 5,992
2 questions: 

Has a lot of people here done the kees mod and compared with the pro 2900 afterwards?

Do the pro 2900 leak too much sound for portable use (I guess it does since its open, but hey, a guy can hope)? 

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #2,921 of 5,992
My 2900s are HERE!! Very premature impressions (out of a Zune only (I'm on vacation lol): These pads seem quite a bit thinner than the Pro 900 pads were. They are definitely softer too-they remind me of the silver 900 pads. With a MASSIVE grain of salt after 5 minutes of listening-I already like them more than I ever did the 900s. The mids are only mildly recessed, and vocals come out clear as day. Bass is positively excellent-but we knew that already. Airiness is there-that's the biggest complaint I had of the 900s, and they don't seem quite as metallic sounding.

Obviously I need much more headtime with them, but that won't really happen on proper equipment for probably another week! Stay tuned...

-Daniel
2 questions: 

Has a lot of people here done the kees mod and compared with the pro 2900 afterwards?

Do the pro 2900 leak too much sound for portable use (I guess it does since its open, but hey, a guy can hope)? 

Listen to the PRO2900s out of something better than the Zune, I tried them out of my Fuze and the midrange disappeared, they are much better on my Essence.
As for leakage, out of the cans I've tried they are the second worst. Grados you can hear across the house, these.. about halfway. I would not use them for portable use.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #2,923 of 5,992
Like I said-I'm on vacation and only have a Zune and iPod atm! And the mids are still more forward than on the 900, so if they are 'thin' now, I sure as heck am in for a treat because I've got no complaints about them at this point. I should be home by the weekend to listen to them with a proper source/amp.

-Daniel

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2,924 of 5,992
Quote:
I'd imagine introducing Dolby Surround Sound into Ultrasone's S-Logic would cause a weird affect.  I use them from my DAC and amp, and i think channel separation and footstep placement is amazing just in stereo

If anything, S-Logic augments Dolby Headphone. I've never perceived S-Logic to be "surround" by any means, but to be a wide soundstage in a closed headphone, which I have never experienced before the PRO 900's. The PRO 900 + Mixamp combo is like a closed DT 990; similar soundstage but better SQ.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #2,925 of 5,992
 I'm going to be selling my 900s with XB1000 pads and Blue Dragon cable. If anyone is interested PM me, I'm asking $450. I'm posting it in the classifieds soon but I figured I'd give the viewers of this thread first dibs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back