Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #2,881 of 5,992
That picture is good. I hope you noticed that R/L were reversed. 
frown.gif

Quote:
http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/d7/d71b3063_P1000091.JPG

I used this picture as a reference. 

So when worn, the thin part of the pad faces forward? 

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #2,883 of 5,992
Sep 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #2,886 of 5,992
I made it until page 22 in this thread before I ordered a pair of Pro900. Well, two pairs actually. Got them at a nice price from the UK. I sold the HD650s that I had for only a month to pay for the Pro 900 
biggrin.gif

Curse you, Head-Fi!

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #2,887 of 5,992

Quote:
I made it until page 22 in this thread before I ordered a pair of Pro900. Well, two pairs actually. Got them at a nice price from the UK. I sold the HD650s that I had for only a month to pay for the Pro 900 
biggrin.gif

Curse you, Head-Fi!

beerchug.gif
  Allright man...
You had the balls to dismiss 650?
I hope you love Pro 900 just to ease the loss...
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #2,888 of 5,992
These stand out with technical strengths but disappoint just as much with their weaknesses.

After a long day at work, treble is simply fatiguing. The pronounced upper midrange causes a metallic aftertaste.

But bass punch, resolution and instrument separation are simply incredible. I would have kept the HD650 instead of getting two PRO 900.
I think I will have to get the Z1000 soon. I need the Sony for extra hours, haha.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #2,889 of 5,992
I´ve purchased the ultrasone 900 along with with fiio e7+e9 and i must say and quite impressed..

These are better than the Beats by dre Pro that i´ve tried , and i only tried them with hip hop. I don´t understand some reviews i saw here saying the sound was too metalic.
The pro900 are just great , i don´t listen to classical music but with metal , electronic and hip hop i must say im quite impressed . I really don´t think could get much better than this for 350$ , and someday i must try 2000$+ headphones to see the difference ,because i don´t believe they will be much better than the pro 900.
The only thing funny is the earpads because they are made in velvet , they make my ears hot , but not sweaty . This is good in the winter and bad in the summer. 
Overall i love this and made a great choice from what i´ve read here . Thanks for this thread

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #2,890 of 5,992
Depends on what you compare them with. Beyerdynamic has a similar tendency, but compared to some timbre reference 'phones, it becomes evident very easily. I switch between the FX700 and PRO 900 every day. However, it takes me but 10 minutes to readjust my ears and love my 'Sones again.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #2,891 of 5,992
Yeah.  The PRO900 can't even come close to competing with my woodies for anything with vocals or an acoustic guitar in it.  And you don't need to slip up into the $2k range to get a better overall set of cans--just ask Mal.  :wink:

I'm actually going to sell mine so I can get a set of 1964-Q.  I love my PRO900, but they're pretty impractical for what I need them for, and they really are fatiguing as hell after a long day at work, even if I'm just playing video games and not listening to music.

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #2,892 of 5,992
So I think I just noticed sibilance for the first time on these.  Like A G6 came up, and it sounded like crap.  The bass (one of my all-time favorite bass beats in a pop song) was crunchy and lacked its characteristic smoothness, and DEV's voice was sibilant as hell.  I was like, What?  Looked at the properties, and it was an old Pandora rip at 160kbps.  About halfway through the song I went straight to the FLAC version and her voice is still very bright, but there's no sibilance at all.  I like it...it's energetic--almost seeping into overly bright, but it's a very engaging sound to my ears.  And naturally the bass was back the way it is supposed to be: smooth, deep as hell, and full of body and impact.

Very, very unforgiving of crappy rips.  I think that may be part of the problem when people say they hate these for sibilance.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #2,893 of 5,992
Quote:
Yeah.  The PRO900 can't even come close to competing with my woodies for anything with vocals or an acoustic guitar in it.  And you don't need to slip up into the $2k range to get a better overall set of cans--just ask Mal.  :wink:

I'm actually going to sell mine so I can get a set of 1964-Q.  I love my PRO900, but they're pretty impractical for what I need them for, and they really are fatiguing as hell after a long day at work, even if I'm just playing video games and not listening to music.

I decided I would keep mine, even though I KNOW for a fact I'm gonna buy the LCD-2. I honestly would have them by now if everyone I know would stop having their birthdays so close to eachother!!! geez.... sorry for the rant there
tongue.gif
 The only way I would consider selling my 900s is if I had a pair of IEM or if someone came out with a better closed headphone.

Aww crap here come christmas.....

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #2,894 of 5,992
I'll let you know how the 1964Q's work out.  Check it:
Frequency Response: 16Hz - 17kHz
FR Graph here

They probably won't be quite as exciting in the top end, but BOY does that graph go low!  I'm going to try to pass my 900 on to my wife, but if she doesn't want them I'm still only going to sell after I've heard the 1964.  From everything I've read and heard, it seems like they will an IEM version of the Hifiman HE-500--abysmal lows, punchy drums, smooth and sweet mids, and enough top end to keep it sparkly. 

And they're only $600, including expedited processing.  LOL...you know you've gone off the deep end when you say "only $600" in reference to a set of headphones.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #2,895 of 5,992
Well my Pro 2900s arrive tomorrow. Don't expect much in the way of impressions until this weekend or later since I'm on vacation, but will be burning them in and doing minimal listening. Leander7777, maybe you should start an official 2900 thread? Maybe there's not enough of us to support one yet-but it's getting difficult to filter those impressions here. My .02

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back