Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #2,642 of 5,992
I'm with Freeze. Same with my HFI-780. BUT I do believe that the first hour or 20 minutes or so can make a difference. But even that is difficult to tell. Whoever said these need 420 hours burn needs to burn in his brain first!

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #2,644 of 5,992
I dunno, I would say I had 200-300 hours of burn in, but I hear differently depending on what kind of mood I'm in, so I may not be the most reliable when it comes to this.

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #2,645 of 5,992
Plus it's really just your brain adjusting to the new sound signature of the new HP's. That's what probably 90% of the people actually hear that instead of burn in. The other 10% because of other weirder factors

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #2,648 of 5,992
Slickman: Thanks for chiming in with your BD impressions. I agree you should use it exclusively for a few days, then switch back to stock to adjust to it. It always seems to be the differences in both audio and viseo come from not so much the upgrade-but the downgrade is where you'll see what is/isn't missing. Otherwise you have a pretty blue cable and I'll buy it off you if you want so I can see for myself!

Mohawk: The m-Stage is only very slightly warm-it is still a very neutral amp with some of the best transients in SS under a grand. If you're looking to expand the soundstage and possibly tame the highs a smidgen, then I think you would be very pleased with it! I like the E9 with the Pros as well, but the m-Stage is an even better match I believe. My .02

-Daniel

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #2,649 of 5,992
I guess I might as well add it back to my list then. I'm really interesting in what the dual mono design of the MKV can do though. I don't want the sound moved too far back, but it could do good being a little wider.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #2,651 of 5,992
I've always wanted to try the Mustang with these as well! I've never actually had a portable amp-but the reviews for the P-51 are glowing. My issues are that they are definitely overpriced compared to desktop amps. But more importantly, I wonder if it's sonic qualities are just based against  other portables, and that the same or better (m-Stage maybe??) can be had for much cheaper with a desktop?

-Daniel

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #2,652 of 5,992
I think the portables stand up very well to a desktop amp for any headphones that are low to mid power required. Desktop amp shine for the HP's that are monsters to drive.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #2,653 of 5,992
Hey guys i wish you had the chance to listen to M-Stage..
You would be surprised of how a good desktop amp can perform...
It is not only that it can make your headphones sound loud,it can take your listening experience to a higher level...

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #2,654 of 5,992
Thing is, I want a big sturdy piece of kit if I'm paying $400 lol. It needs to be seen and appreciated-not lost on the floor with my undies.
devil_face.gif
 I do think that specific amp would also fare well with my AD2Ks-but at the price I'd almost rather just save for an HR-2 or V200 which would serve me well and be more future proof I bet. It also drives me nuts that RS doesn't list the specs for his amps-how pathetic is that?

-Daniel

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #2,655 of 5,992
Give the p-51 a chance. It holds its value well if you dont like it you can recoup 90% of your money in the classifieds easily. You can customize the colors of the metal top and bottom case and the end caps and the knob. It costs 375 but it performs well and you get what you pay for it's worth it. The powerful mid range will help the pro 900's out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back