Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #2,626 of 5,992

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't have an amp yet, and I find my ASUS Essence to run out of juice on certain songs. I'd love some impessions with the Mstage
smily_headphones1.gif
, I was currently thinking about getting the Little Dot MKV, but I'm broke at the moment.

Heya,

You'll be pretty hard pressed to hear any difference between the STX, MStage and LDMK4 on any low impedance headphone. You might hear a small, and I mean minute, difference on the LDMK4 simply due to being a tube.

Very best,

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #2,627 of 5,992
I meant the MKV, the solid state amp. My Essence has times where it goes to almost complete static on certain songs, I'm sure that a better amp would eliminate the problem. :D The soundstage also sounds like it has room for improvement.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #2,628 of 5,992

Quote:
I meant the MKV, the solid state amp. My Essence has times where it goes to almost complete static on certain songs, I'm sure that a better amp would eliminate the problem.
biggrin.gif
The soundstage also sounds like it has room for improvement.

What songs? What times? What kind of sound?

Very best,

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #2,629 of 5,992
The strongest aspect of the M-Stage, IMO, is its soundstage.  It really opens the Pro 900 up.  It adds some bass depth and control, as well as taming the highs, but it really takes a song and pushes it back (in a great way, not in a "now everything sounds recessed" kind of way).

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #2,630 of 5,992

Quote:
The strongest aspect of the M-Stage, IMO, is its soundstage.  It really opens the Pro 900 up.  It adds some bass depth and control, as well as taming the highs, but it really takes a song and pushes it back (in a great way, not in a "now everything sounds recessed" kind of way).

I agree with Jibbie..
Soundstage and full body sound are the strong aspects of M-Stage.
Some days ago i A/B tested M-Stage with the Little dot MKIII (stock tubes) and the differences were noticeable..
MKIII soundstage was not as wide as with the M-Stage and it made my Pro's sounded more closed...
I also noticed that MKIII made the sound less aggresive and fast which is not good match especially if you listen to techno/trance..
I also tried Pro 2900 with both amps..
Very good headphone that does everything as good as 900 including bass..
I was surprised with 2900 bass as i couldn't tell the difference compared to my 900,only in some tracks were the bass hit very low..
Of course the mids were not laid back as in 900,they were forwarded at least 3-4 rows in front..
I think that MKIII's warm sound made vocals on 2900 sound less ''dry'' but with the cost of not having wider soundstage..
My only complaint with 2900 was that the pads were thinner than 900 and my ears were touching the inner plate..
But this could be fixed by swapping to the 900 pads which are thicker...

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #2,633 of 5,992
Quote:
Alright guys, I finally got a chance to sit down and do some AB testings with my new Blue Dragon cable. I came to the conclusion that... well... at least the cable is a pretty blue.
frown.gif

LOL.  Way to stay positive, bro.  :)  The Blue Dragon is indeed a beautiful cable.  Plus, I hear it makes your peep bigger.  Just sayin'.

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #2,634 of 5,992

Quote:
Alright guys, I finally got a chance to sit down and do some AB testings with my new Blue Dragon cable. I came to the conclusion that... well... at least the cable is a pretty blue.
frown.gif

Heya,

Well, thanks for taking one for the team regardless. I hope you can at least return it perhaps? You could have had another headphone for that cost.

I'm afraid cables & burn-in are very much:

Very best,

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #2,635 of 5,992

Quote:
frown.gif

I'm glad I'm no longer the only one who came to that conclusion. Based on the other reviews I was expecting improved sub-bass and the removal of a "veil" over the highs and mids.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #2,636 of 5,992
@gorocketcat

I've read multiple times now that the pads vary in quality, which surprises me because the pads I received were perfect.

Edit: Also felt like sharing that that the bass drum at 2:40 in "stars" by the xx makes my earlobes vibrate
dt880smile.png

Did you buy your pads from headroom or j$ directly? What's even the difference, if there is one?

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #2,638 of 5,992
I got mine from Headroom - which has outstanding customer service, btw - because I'm on a tight schedule and needed them right away. JMoney - who also has been extremely responsive, for what it's worth - is currently away and unavailable to ship until mid September. 

I don't believe there's a difference, except that Headroom charges a bit more. JMoney told me that Headroom has the latest versions in stock. 

After trying the new JMoney earpads for about 10 min last night, I can't tell a difference in sound quality. The headphones seem to perform exactly the same with the stock pads and the JMoneys. Some of you with finer tuned ears may be able to detect slight differences, but to my ears the sound is identical. 

However, they're infinitely more comfortable. The second I popped in the stock earpads and threw the headphones on I instantly knew this was the last time. The stocks suck. And even though the JMoney pads have some build quality quirks, I can't complain about how comfortable they are. 

I don't know if I made the smartest buying decision. On Headroom the JMoney pads ended up costing me $85, and from what I hear the XB700s can be found for around that price. If I were to do this again I think I'd get those and build the perfect comfort/bass headset. 

Quote:
Did you buy your pads from headroom or j$ directly? What's even the difference, if there is one?

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2,639 of 5,992

Quote:
frown.gif

Sometimes you need more time to really compare them. AB testing for a little while in a day may not show any differences in sound. Try listening with only the Blue Dragon for at least a week. Maybe 2 just to be safe. Then after this period switch back to the stock cable. Sonic differences may (or may not) be more apparent to you. You may find yourself not wanting to go back to stock! Who knows, but you should definitely give it a try. 

I've done this type of AB-ing with amps and it seems to work (for me at least).

But let's get real here. If you have to resort to this then spending $150+ on a cable would definitely appear to be unjustifiable. But if you do end up noticing improvements the Blue Dragon over time, then at least you can feel better about your purchase!

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #2,640 of 5,992
I don't think the Mstage is what I'm looking for, I love these headphones as they are, any warmer and they wouldn't sound as good for my metal, any colder and they would suck for folk. I'm just looking to tighten up the sound a little, give them a better soundstage, and give them the power so they won't distort, the songs in question being black metal(its not the songs, I had a friend listen to a song where I only heard static and vocals, he heard no static at all.) I don't hear static on anything else, but there is still something in the sound leading me to believe I'm not hitting their full potential, I can't place my finger on what is however, but it is quite obvious.

And burn in is very real with these, the bass faded in and out through burn in and the treble slowly calmed down to a point where I was looking for an amp to smooth it out, but now I find it perfect.

Anyone considering these phones... do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back