Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #2,612 of 5,992
Got the SR-71 portable amp today.

First impressions:
- NO harsh highs anymore. Which seems pretty incredible compared to unamped.
- Even better soundstage. Really really nice.
But...
- Even more bass?? Oh come on! Now it's just too much. I will have to see if I can get used to that, but right now it's kinda bothersome as the bass seems to also have moved forward soundstage-wise. Mids also seem even more recessed, which makes little sense and probably only asks for some getting used to.

I like the slightly smoother/darker/warmer feel. It's more evolving. Thinking about it, I probably will get used to the extremely exaggerated bass. But only time will tell.

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #2,613 of 5,992

Quote:
And some people would say the same thing about buying more than a $50 pair of headphones.

Try to keep an open mind and let people throw money at what they want to.

That said, if you're going to try and debunk it, provide subjective tangible evidence (or lack there of) of sound difference due to re-cabling at least so it's not just a random internet "don't! durrrr!" statement.

Otherwise, this dude just took one for the team, and bought expensive cables to tell us how they change the PRO900 or how they don't. Useful information either way.

Very best,

Wow, we agree on something.
o2smile.gif

-Daniel

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #2,614 of 5,992

Wait, is this where we go get hundreds of quotes from other industry insiders telling us the exact opposite?! Circular arguments are lame, and by definition, endless.

Quote:
[size=16pt]"I credit the success of the speaker wire industry to their expert sales and marketing ability. However, it is my experience that ordinary copper wire, as long as it's heavy enough, is just as good as name brands."[/size]

--Speaker Wire, by Roger Russell
Director of Acoustic Research
at McIntosh Laboratory, Inc. and the originator of
McIntosh Loudspeakers

-Daniel

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #2,615 of 5,992
JMoney earpads just arrived. Initial reaction: 

How are these $70? 

The stitching seems kinda...off, and uneven. One pad is fuller than the other. 

The good news is that the 900s clamp tight enough that even just inserting the pads and then putting the headphones on, the fit is tight. I'll give them a proper fitting/listen later. 

Meh. Which is too bad, because he's been extremely nice via many emails. 

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #2,616 of 5,992

Quote:
JMoney earpads just arrived. Initial reaction: 

How are these $70? 

The stitching seems kinda...off, and uneven. One pad is fuller than the other. 

The good news is that the 900s clamp tight enough that even just inserting the pads and then putting the headphones on, the fit is tight. I'll give them a proper fitting/listen later. 

Meh. Which is too bad, because he's been extremely nice via many emails. 

It seems to be a recurring problem : http://www.head-fi.org/t/552319/jmoney-ear-pads-poor-build-quality-worst-customer-service-must-read-pictures

I hope that when I buy the pads they aren't like that

So how do they sound compared to the stock pads?

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #2,617 of 5,992
I haven't had much time, and haven't listened to anything with them yet. I'll try and do that tonight, and post some pics - but the stitching just seems off. 

That said, they're definitely more comfortable that the stock pads. But I hate the stock pads. They itch something fierce. 

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #2,618 of 5,992

Quote:
Wait, is this where we go get hundreds of quotes from other industry insiders telling us the exact opposite?! Circular arguments are lame, and by definition, endless.

-Daniel

Hahahaha!  It's was big, black, and bold (like i like my coffee) because I'm too lazy to change fonts.  :wink:  And it's a pretty good, very level headed article.  Supported by science.  In the end, it really doesn't matter, not even a little bit.  People will spend money on what they want to, and more power to them.  I would like to do what I can to help other people not waste money, but honestly...it's a forum.  What I say isn't going to influence anything, beyond "PRO900 is teh shiz!" and "Try the XB700 pads!" And of those two, only people who are already looking for more comfort are going to try the XB700 pads, and only people looking for the PRO900 are going to let my .02 influence their decision to buy.

So good point.

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #2,619 of 5,992
@gorocketcat

I've read multiple times now that the pads vary in quality, which surprises me because the pads I received were perfect.

Edit: Also felt like sharing that that the bass drum at 2:40 in "stars" by the xx makes my earlobes vibrate
dt880smile.png

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #2,620 of 5,992
I thought that I'd be joining you guys by moving from the 2200 to the 900 but I just couldn't do it. I bought and picked up the 2900 instead. One of these days I will try a closed ultrasone but as it stands right now, Open-4-Life.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #2,621 of 5,992
You won't regret the 2900, it has its bass monster moments, and seems to address most of the complaints people have with the 900.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #2,623 of 5,992
I bought them used locally off Craigslist for a very reasonable price but I'm house sitting so I didn't bring my m-stage with me. I'm powering them through my touchpad atm and even though it doesn't power them loud enough to my usual listening levels it has a really good dynamic range. I don't even notice any sibilance.

Also, @MohawkUS, you weren't kidding when you said these were fast and I'd imagine they'd only get faster once properly amped.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #2,625 of 5,992
I'm afraid I don't have an amp yet, and I find my ASUS Essence to run out of juice on certain songs. I'd love some impessions with the Mstage :), I was currently thinking about getting the Little Dot MKV, but I'm broke at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back