Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #1,921 of 5,992
Yeah, I'm looking for more of a subbass boost than midbass, so I guess I'll stick to the SS amps, Do you remember the amps well enough to comment on the differeneces between them? I'm guessing you liked the M Stage the best because you still have it.

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #1,922 of 5,992
Can anyone recommend a place in the US (which does international shipping) to pick up a pair of Pro 900s?

I've looked in the obvious places such as Amazon but would like some other recommendations.

PM is fine, sorry to clutter the thread.

Jul 28, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #1,923 of 5,992

Quote:
It has SPDIF, and the 2 red/white connectors that are on the back of all the amps I've seen(this is lineout right?)

Yes, that should be the RCA line-out.  So, you can utilize the DAC portion of the Zonar while letting an external headphone amp handle the job of driving headphones.

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #1,924 of 5,992

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a place in the US (which does international shipping) to pick up a pair of Pro 900s?

I've looked in the obvious places such as Amazon but would like some other recommendations.

PM is fine, sorry to clutter the thread.

BH has them for $369 and they ship everywhere... they are however currently out of stock.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584905-REG/Ultrasone_PRO_900_PRO_900_Closed_Back_Professional.html

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #1,925 of 5,992
Has anyone tried to mod and recable the 900s non balanced into balanced?

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #1,928 of 5,992
The M-Stage has a great soundstage, solid bass depth, and tames the highs a bit.  The HDP is very dynamic, everything sounds sharper and clearer, even the bass sounded a bit more pronounce (midbass impact anyways).  It was however, pretty bright, so it doesn't pair the best with the Pro 900.  The NFB10 had plenty of power, but its sonic signature is similar to the M-Stage and it wouldn't be an upgrade path that I'd take (still an amazing amp, however).  Ibasso D4 is currently my DAC, and for a amp/dac combo, its pretty solid.  It could use more power, but its a nice little amp.  

Quote:
Yeah, I'm looking for more of a subbass boost than midbass, so I guess I'll stick to the SS amps, Do you remember the amps well enough to comment on the differeneces between them? I'm guessing you liked the M Stage the best because you still have it.

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #1,929 of 5,992
I'm probably going to go for the Mstage then, sounds like excatly what I'm looking for. I read a review on the Asgard where it is called the HD650 of amps, as in slow and laid back, not what I am looking for at all.

I'll wait to see if anyone replies to my thread in the amp section first, but sounds like the MStage is my best bet.

One thing I should note, I listen to a lot of black metal, folk metal,and a ton of doom/drone metal with long repetitive, crushing bass solos.. I've been reading some more reviews and it seems solid state amps may be too harsh on anything but well recorded lossless, would the Mstage still be a good choice taking my music choices into account?

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #1,930 of 5,992

Quote:
I'm probably going to go for the Mstage then, sounds like excatly what I'm looking for. I read a review on the Asgard where it is called the HD650 of amps, as in slow and laid back, not what I am looking for at all.

I'll wait to see if anyone replies to my thread in the amp section first, but sounds like the MStage is my best bet.

One thing I should note, I listen to a lot of black metal, folk metal,and a ton of doom/drone metal with long repetitive, crushing bass solos.. I've been reading some more reviews and it seems solid state amps may be too harsh on anything but well recorded lossless, would the Mstage still be a good choice taking my music choices into account?

"solid state amps may be too harsh on anything but well recorded lossless"  That seems to be quite a sweeping statement and I would disagree, my m-stage handles anything I throw at it.  I have mostly 320 mp3 and some FLAC, its primarily fed drum and bass / electronic so plenty of treble speed and bass control required,  I also listen to rock, metal, acoustic,ambient and its all peachy.

The stock opamp is fine but I'd grab the class A bias mod adapter and the upgraded opamp as it opens up the sound even more.  You can then experiment with opamp to find the best synergy with the 2900s and your preferred metal sub-genre.

I got my m-stage from Tam-Audio (coolfungadget) his service was great and delivery was fast for international.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #1,931 of 5,992
I would like to thank everybody for his information and advice of using the J$ pads in combination with the Pro 900 ! It was already a great headphone but the lack in proper pads was irritating me. After contacting UltraSone NL and ask them about replacement pads they couldn't do anything for me so I figured I had to do something about this myself.

Words can't describe the feeling I get with some of my music when listening to my new J$ Pro 900... So much better bass and loving the control of it.. Also with some good bass music it's really shaking on my ears !! I also noticed that I have a bit more sound when using it with my iPhone so I had to turn down the volume a bit. That is of course great information for a portable device :p

So in the end, better comfort more isolation and awesome sound so I would say go for it *(^_0)*

Greetings,
Roelio 

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #1,932 of 5,992
where do i get j$ pads for the 900s?

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #1,933 of 5,992
Its a mod using the normal Denon J$ pads, I've heard it reduces the bass and brings out the highs more though, not something I would do to the 2900s.

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #1,934 of 5,992
so i got the Pro 900 yesterday and the sound is very harsh and i am having alot of sibilance .. does this go away in time with burn-in!?!? if not these are going back for sure.

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #1,935 of 5,992
It took me 30 minutes to appreciate the sound. Before that they were horrible. I think S-Logic takes some time to click and hot treble is a matter of getting used to. Bass presence varies from recording to recording.

If you can tell you don't like them after two days, I'd send them back.

EDIT:
I might add, the PRO 900 have a very energetic sound. When you closely listen to new headphones or equipment, it's something you won't appreciate. The harshness comes from high detail retrieval. Either upgrade your sound or enjoy high quality. :)
Jokes aside, the PRO 900 are rough! Really rough. Punchy bass and a lot of treble with recessed mids. Get drunk and put on some party music and you might fall in love. :wink:
Ultrasone's signature is not compatible with close and smooth comparison after a candle light dinner.
You basically bought an always horny sexy bitch that wants to play. You will be tempted all the time, but it can get very exhausting.
Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back