Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #1,591 of 5,992
Just got back from studying abroad in Paris, fired up the Pro 900s.  Wow, I forgot how much bass these things had.  I had been using little 30 dollar ear buds that probably didn't recreate notes below 100Hz, so all of this bass is pretty overpowering.  Both in a pleasant and non pleasant way.  I'm sure I'll warm right back up to them after a few songs 

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #1,592 of 5,992
My pair comes in next week! Super excited. I've seen some posts about the J$ earpads increasing isolation and sound quality, but have also seen comments on bad build quality. Can anyone else comment on the J$ Denon earpads and how easy they are to install on the 900's?

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,593 of 5,992

Quote:
My pair comes in next week! Super excited. I've seen some posts about the J$ earpads increasing isolation and sound quality, but have also seen comments on bad build quality. Can anyone else comment on the J$ Denon earpads and how easy they are to install on the 900's?

They're very very easy to setup. They don't really increase sound quality but rather just shift the response. With the isolation the sound doesn't escape as in the mesh pads and you get a spike in the treble, along with tighter bass due to your ears being further from the drivers. The soundstage is the biggest difference as it sounds deeper and not as in your face.

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #1,594 of 5,992
I'm one happy camper right now.

My birthday is a week from today, and my girlfriend couldn't resist but to give me my present a week early. As I peeled back the corner of the wrapping paper, I see that infamous "S-Logic Plus" logo and proceeded to go ape crap. I've been eyeing some Pro 900s ever since I got my HFI-580 back in February. The 580s had nicely detailed bass, but didn't quite have that punch for times when you just want to rock out. The Pro 900s, on the other hand, truly have head-shattering bass. Holy moly it THUMPS. No way you can sit still listening to these. 

I let my girlfriend try them to a bit of Daft Punk to see what the fuss was all about. She said, "they sound like you're travelling in a bass spaceship." 

I'm listening as they burn in now and throwing lots of my hip-hop and electronic collection at them: Daft Punk, Flying Lotus, James Blake, Cunninlynguist, Wu-Tang, Black Milk....and have the biggest perma-grin. I remember my 580s changing dramatically with burn-in (I was very disappointed with the mid-range initially), so I can't wait until these settle. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #1,595 of 5,992

Quote:
I'm one happy camper right now.

My birthday is a week from today, and my girlfriend couldn't resist but to give me my present a week early. As I peeled back the corner of the wrapping paper, I see that infamous "S-Logic Plus" logo and proceeded to go ape crap. I've been eyeing some Pro 900s ever since I got my HFI-580 back in February. The 580s had nicely detailed bass, but didn't quite have that punch for times when you just want to rock out. The Pro 900s, on the other hand, truly have head-shattering bass. Holy moly it THUMPS. No way you can sit still listening to these. 

I let my girlfriend try them to a bit of Daft Punk to see what the fuss was all about. She said, "they sound like you're travelling in a bass spaceship." 

I'm listening as they burn in now and throwing lots of my hip-hop and electronic collection at them: Daft Punk, Flying Lotus, James Blake, Cunninlynguist, Wu-Tang, Black Milk....and have the biggest perma-grin. I remember my 580s changing dramatically with burn-in (I was very disappointed with the mid-range initially), so I can't wait until these settle. 

Sir, I must take that quote for my sig
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #1,596 of 5,992
another great song for pro 900 
L3000.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,597 of 5,992
I've been eyeing these for some time now... about to pull the trigger

So far I've been hearing these are great for drum and bass, techno etc, but I'm more specifically interested in strictly dubstep. Along the likes of Rusko- do these cans hit those extremely low frequencies?

I know for certain this purchase will be a step up, my collection is quickly growing... and my wallet is quickly diminishing...

I'm using a iBasso 'Toucan' PB1 for amplification as of now- grado sr60i(modded), sr225, senn hd650 (well its a 580 with 650 drivers in them) and a pair of MTPG for IEM's...

I just got the 225's a few days ago and will be keeping them, ill perhaps be getting rid of the 650 frankenstein if i go through with this purchase

I can be safe to assume the pro900 will demolish all of the above in terms of bass reproduction? plus all the cans i currently own are open, it's been an extremely long time since i owned a closed set a cans... I made the move to the sr60i bout 2-3 years ago and they have treated me extremely well, surprisingly the mod's i did to them bring out the bass deeper than the 225's... perhaps because of the 'i' version of them

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #1,598 of 5,992

Quote:
Sir, I must take that quote for my sig
biggrin.gif

HA! I think she'll get a kick out of knowing that her utterances are echoing throughout cyberspace.

Quote:

So far I've been hearing these are great for drum and bass, techno etc, but I'm more specifically interested in strictly dubstep. Along the likes of Rusko- do these cans hit those extremely low frequencies?

I know for certain this purchase will be a step up, my collection is quickly growing... and my wallet is quickly diminishing...

I'm using a iBasso 'Toucan' PB1 for amplification as of now- grado sr60i(modded), sr225, senn hd650 (well its a 580 with 650 drivers in them) and a pair of MTPG for IEM's...

I just got the 225's a few days ago and will be keeping them, ill perhaps be getting rid of the 650 frankenstein if i go through with this purchase

I can be safe to assume the pro900 will demolish all of the above in terms of bass reproduction? plus all the cans i currently own are open, it's been an extremely long time since i owned a closed set a cans... I made the move to the sr60i bout 2-3 years ago and they have treated me extremely well, surprisingly the mod's i did to them bring out the bass deeper than the 225's... perhaps because of the 'i' version of them

Yes, the Pro 900 will demolish all of them in the bass department. No matter how much you mod your Grados, you won't get that textured, enveloping bass that you'd get from the Pro 900s. The details in the mids and treble don't suffer at all either, but just wrapped in a blanket of bass. As much as I love open cans, they can't quite reproduce the type of sensation you'd get from these puppies. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #1,599 of 5,992
I've read more than once that some people find the bass extension lacking on the Pro 900 (something that a dubstep fan never wants to hear), however I've never really found this to be true.  All my dubstep tracks hit low, and they hit hard on the Ultrasones.  I'm sure the Blue Dragon would help this, but I find the Pro 900 more than adequate for dubstep, or any other EDM genre.  

Quote:

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,600 of 5,992
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on these but I just wanted to see if anyone here has compared the Pro900 to the aiaiai TMA-1 in terms of bass? I've previously owned the tma-1 and really enjoyed its bass and I've been without them for 5 months now and I really miss it. Will my craving be satiated? 

I'm also really split on the 900 vs 2900. I already have the hfi-2200 and I'm really split on which would be the better upgrade.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #1,601 of 5,992
These are being sold for $340 by Beach Audio via amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F00F0E/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=), or $346 by amazon directly. I remember they used to be sold for $320 by buyauthorized on ebay but if I recall correctly they raised the price to $340?  I think this is a pretty good deal, since amazon has some pretty great service. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #1,602 of 5,992
Anyone curious on the PRO 2900, I got a pair coming in today, and I'll be doing some testing throughout the week.

One of the ebay sellers has a "or best offer" button and he has been known to take $320 for the PRO 900s

If your looking for the PRO 2900, Moon Audio will quote you $415  if you link him to Spectrum Audio, who have it for $386 when added to cart. I wouldn't order from Spectrum directly though, they have no return policy and will not let you return the headphones if you do not like them.

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #1,604 of 5,992
BAM

done... $330 w/ free shipping down to $300 w/ free shipping because of some 10% coupon I had from eBay... Actually I didn't see it the first time I purchased, but I asked them to cancel the first order and then I applied the coupon on a re-purchase. Got it from beachcamera. Shipping from NJ, so to nyc it should be here by friday/monday at the latest... can't wait

wooooooo

ugh...$$$

now time to sell off all my extras... anyone interested in an AMB Mini^3 amp? or perhaps the HD650 (580 w/ 650 drivers)? or perhaps my grado sr225, if I realize the pro900 will be the only can I'm using

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #1,605 of 5,992
The Pro 900 is circumaural.  I owned the DT990 for a little while, and it was definitely more comfortable.  I fine the comfort on the Ultrasones just fine, but the Beyerdynamics are something special.  The velour pads on the 990 were incredibly soft, fluffy, and pillow like.  The velour on the Pro 900s are a bit more firm, but are still pretty soft.  If you've ever tried the AKG K701, those have even firm velour pads, but I found them very comfortable.  The way I see it, the Pro 900's velour pads sit in between the K701's and the DT990's in terms of softness and comfort.

Hope that helped.

Quote:
Are these Ultrasone pro 900 supra-aural or circumaural? For the ones that own beyerdynamics headphones, how could you compare the velour pads quality between the two models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back