Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #1,531 of 5,992

I'm not going to say they will magically turn into cans you like after burn-in, or suggest a re-cable or say the rest of your chain is not good enough etc etc.

I will say that initially the treble was too much for me and on some songs would actually make me flinch. This did change after a while be it down to brain burn-in or physical burn-in, who knows!

Also, depending on the size of your head you might need to move them around a bit to get that sweet spot where the s-logic works and the bass is all there.

IMO the Essence STX drives them fine and I don't really notice differences running them from that or from the Headstage Arrow or from a GS Solo SRGII.

Quote:
Well I got them for three days and I can't say that I'm impressed.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #1,532 of 5,992

Quote:
Well I got them for three days and I can't say that I'm impressed. They are quite sibilant so I have to EQ down higher frequencies, wide soundstage I only noticed in attached test cd, bass is good but not that great and I'm also noticing little cracks in sound in background. But that is not very noticeable. Sound isolation is fine and comfort is only average.

But it's not my place to review yet, I only have them for three days and I never tried them with proper source. Only with my onboard "HD" soundcard, hi-fi and cell phone.
I am going to buy Asus Essence ST for them so I hope that this will improve my experience by lot, otherwise they are not worth it. So far it's comparable experience as with my 40€ Logitech X-230 repro :)

I'm also not sure whether it's a good step to go for Essence ST, which has some built-in hp amp if I'm already thinking to buy some external amp like for example E7 for them later. Or maybe some lower Asus soundcard and go straight for some amp as well? I read some reviews and they wrote that Xonar Essence is quite better than it's lower class brothers and I might find its different 3D features quite beneficial for my movie and games experience. Hmm

I don't put many hopes in improvement after burn in, but as I don't see big difference between 128/320Kbit mp3/FLAC, it may be indeed just matter of poor output hardware.
Hope that Asus sc will be enough for this. Don't get me wrong, I quite like what I hear so far, but it's far from 400€ WOW experience and as I have already tried it with our hi-fi which was quite expensive at the time and It was only slight improvement against PC, I remain quite sceptical :frowning2:

The lack of external DAC and amp really hinder these headphones in my experience. I seem to be one of the few who think they really have to be amped or aren't really worth the price of admission. On top of that, I found that the sharp highs mellowed out a little and the bass came more in line after around 20 (yes 20, not 200) hrs of burn in.

It is also possible however, that these just aren't the headphones for you, in which case, I hope you manage to find your holy grail somewhere down the line.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #1,533 of 5,992
I've been on-head burning these in for a few weeks now, and while I haven't kees'd them yet, I'm finding these to be the headphones for me, so far.  Bass has actually reduced, but so has some of the harsh sibilance.  Midrange still feels like it's waiting for its turn.  I may try kees'ing them, but am afraid of stripping the screw heads.  And yes, this is DAC'd and amp'd.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #1,535 of 5,992

Quote:
IMO the Essence STX drives them fine and I don't really notice differences running them from that or from the Headstage Arrow or from a GS Solo SRGII.

Have you tried running them from on-board soundcard or a common cd player(unamped)? If so, do you think it to be big difference between this and Asus Xonar/external amp? Thx

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #1,536 of 5,992
hmmm  get a blue dragon cable and a good amp, or sell pro 900 and get edition 8....

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #1,537 of 5,992

Quote:
hmmm  get a blue dragon cable and a good amp, or sell pro 900 and get edition 8....

Because everyone can just get Ed. 8
rolleyes.gif

And yes, there is a huge difference from running the Pro 900 on onboard audio chips and DACs, internal or external.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #1,538 of 5,992

Quote:
Because everyone can just get Ed. 8
rolleyes.gif

And yes, there is a huge difference from running the Pro 900 on onboard audio chips and DACs, internal or external.

$300- $500 amp + $250 cable = $550 - $750

+ sell pro 900 for $200 - $300

= $ 750 - $1150 = edition 8

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #1,539 of 5,992

Quote:

Didn't get any of what you were trying to make there. Name the values.

EDIT: Nvm, got it. Still, a lot of hassle.

And given that there was no Blue Dragon cable bought, the values are off, way off.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #1,540 of 5,992

Quote:

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,541 of 5,992

Quote:
Hey guys, pro 2900 owner here. This is my first ultrasone and i really like the sound signature. I mostly use top tier iems like westone 4 shure se535 ortofon eq5 and many more but this 2900 is really something else. You can literally feel the band singing in front of you in some high quality songs. My question is, is there any upgrade cable that enhances the sound in a way that it does not alter the signature but rather just upgrades the whole spectrum?

hi.. pro 2900 owner as well here.. and im agree that pro 2900 has an astonishing way to "image" the recording.. i think they're very good for good quality live recording or binaural holophonic recording

as for the after market cable i found that the moon audio black dragon is what you're looking for,, they just smooth everything up and make the sound more refined without adding much of everything.. and it definitely an upgrade than the stock cable that uses a thin cable and just 1 wire for the ground that makes it suffer from crosstalk.. the moon audio cable did'nt suffer from crosstalk so that the instrument separation and sound stage are improved too.. 

hope that helps..

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #1,544 of 5,992
interesting some people say they absolutely need an amp, and some say they don't need any.  
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back