Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #1,501 of 5,992

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys!

I think I'll follow obzilla's suggestion and get the Pro 900 just to avoid the "what if..." (I had that before... horrible thing 
biggrin.gif
)

Just another question... you said you use it in planes and trains. Does it leak a lot of sound in those situations? Or nothing that I should worry about? (I don't listen to very loud music... usually on the E7 the volume is always between 18 - 20)

it's all a matter of how loud you listen to it at. Every source device is different, so we can't say for sure how much sound will escape. The best test of this is to get the ultrasone 900s from a respected dealer who will accept returns if necessary. I would go with amazon personally since returning with them is the easiest thing ever. Try it, if you don't like it just return it. That'll prevent the what if and if you keep it, even better!

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,502 of 5,992
Not to side track the thread, but just wanted to make you aware of the _possibility_ that Amazon has been known to ban people who order things and return them regularly.  I'm not trying to start a debate or any thing, but I was made aware of it, and just wanted to share it with the fellow head-fiers.   Google banned from Amazon.com and you'll see it does happen and its usually for abusing the return policy even just a few times.

I use Amazon a lot so it was very important to me when I found out about it and was considering using them to test head phones. :)

Quote:

it's all a matter of how loud you listen to it at. Every source device is different, so we can't say for sure how much sound will escape. The best test of this is to get the ultrasone 900s from a respected dealer who will accept returns if necessary. I would go with amazon personally since returning with them is the easiest thing ever. Try it, if you don't like it just return it. That'll prevent the what if and if you keep it, even better!

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #1,503 of 5,992
Back on topic, my Pro 900s are burning in even more as I use them and there are more and more moments where I'm simply removed from this Earth in terms of sound when listening to artist such as Bassnectar, Glitch Mob, Bonobo, Shpongle, and even Dishwalla.   I am using the silver velvet pads and the Blue Dragon and these head phones are becoming more and more magical each day I listen to them.  The bass has tightened up a quite a bit, the mids are clear thanks to the pads and blue dragon, and it's just amazing now.  I'm honestly only about 50ish hours in to burning them in and if this his how good they sound now, I am REALLY looking forward to the next 250 hours. :)

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #1,504 of 5,992

Quote:

Just another question... you said you use it in planes and trains. Does it leak a lot of sound in those situations? Or nothing that I should worry about? (I don't listen to very loud music... usually on the E7 the volume is always between 18 - 20)

Some sound leaks, but neither at work, or whilst traveling has anyone ever asked me to turn it down...
Personally, for me, it's a non issue. Your mileage may vary.

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #1,507 of 5,992
Hey guys. Im planning of changing my ESW9s cause they are a little uncomfortable. I do however love their sound signature and was wondering if the Pro 900 would be a good upgrade from them. Any ideas?

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #1,508 of 5,992
I got my pro 900 for about 50 hours now and they are amazing. They are connected to my pc with Asus xonar STX. Just wonder if they would sound even better if I  would get an amp or is my STX enought ? If i do need an amp what would you guys recommend ?

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #1,509 of 5,992
The PRO 900 will sound excellent from your STX but, it will benefit from quality amplification.  I think Fiio's E9, Schiit Audio's Asgard and the Matrix M-stage are great places to start.

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #1,510 of 5,992
Wait until you've completely burned them in. An amp will control the bass a lot compared to running them with no amp, but you should try the kees mod if you still want more control after burn-in. The STX is on a very similar level to the Fiio E7 + E9 combo, it comes down to personal preference over what sound you like more. The DAC on the STX is better than the E7 without a doubt, but some people say the Fiio E9 is a better amp than the one on the STX. Not sure if that's true, just what I gathered from reading a bit comparing them.

I highly doubt the minor differences would be worth the price tag of the E9 on top of the STX though, as the differences are debatable and not clear-cut.

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #1,511 of 5,992
My 900's are around 150hours.  I noticed a big difference around 100-120, totally mellowed highs, and bass is ...personal.

They are so accurate.  If they were a woman...

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #1,512 of 5,992
Does anyone here listen to bands like SunnO))) or Electric Wizard? I'm curious how the PROs handle the bassier metals. Are they too harsh for badly recorded black metal? The highs on my SR80s and AD900s were great if not a sliver too much on the Grado, so I'd be ok with Ultrasone right?

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #1,513 of 5,992
Hey guys, pro 2900 owner here. This is my first ultrasone and i really like the sound signature. I mostly use top tier iems like westone 4 shure se535 ortofon eq5 and many more but this 2900 is really something else. You can literally feel the band singing in front of you in some high quality songs. My question is, is there any upgrade cable that enhances the sound in a way that it does not alter the signature but rather just upgrades the whole spectrum?

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #1,514 of 5,992

Quote:
Hey guys, pro 2900 owner here. This is my first ultrasone and i really like the sound signature. I mostly use top tier iems like westone 4 shure se535 ortofon eq5 and many more but this 2900 is really something else. You can literally feel the band singing in front of you in some high quality songs. My question is, is there any upgrade cable that enhances the sound in a way that it does not alter the signature but rather just upgrades the whole spectrum?

look into moon audio, a lot of people here recommend the blue dragon cable from them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back