Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #1,471 of 5,992
I absolutely agree with this statement.  I love the Pro 900s and they are great cans, but they are no doubt suited towards EDM and hip hop.  There are better cans out there than the Pro 900 for many genres, but for EDM, its one of the best.

Quote:
i switch headphones when i switch genres 
L3000.gif
 but seriously though, IMO the blue dragon makes the pro 900 even LESS of an all-arounder than it started out being. godlier for techno/EDM, not so much for most other genres. honestly i'm not sure why you'd have the pro 900s at all unless EDM/hip hop/bass heavy music/entertainment was at least 60% of what you listened to, but of course everyone's different. 

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #1,472 of 5,992
this is also, unfortunately, why i am seriously considering selling both of my cans (pro 900 and 990/600) and getting denon d7000s. still haven't made my decision yet, but it may happen... if not only to see what they're all about. 

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #1,473 of 5,992
I think I'll probably give in and buy a Blue Dragon after next pay day as the Pro900 is my EDM can and I do like it enough to give it an upgrade.

I just still can't get over a 5ft piece of wire costing more than actual headphones! If the Blue Dragon was made by Monster people would be up in arms.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #1,475 of 5,992
Electronic Dance Music, which covers pretty much all the electronically produced stuff like House, IDM, Techno, Trance, DnB, Garage, Dubstep etc.

A few people think the Pro900 sounds artificial which is probably why it does well with electronic music.

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #1,476 of 5,992
I think a more logical upgrade from the Pro 900s while maintaining the bass, from what I've heard / read, is the LCD-2.  The D7000s are a different type of bass so if you like the 900s for their bass then you may not like the difference.  LCD-2 is my next major upgrade whenever I decide I can splurge on myself again.

Are there any other headphones in the same league of the 900s but with better more realistic sound?

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #1,477 of 5,992
I don't see it as a downgrade at all even though it's true and I agree that it certainly does limit the pro 900. As I said in my review, the real upgrade in the blue dragon isn't in the bass but in the spike in clarity and crispness. It literally makes the stock cable sound muffled and veiled, but it also does muddy up the sub bass quite a bit which makes it less than ideal for rock.

I have been finding it quite engaging with some bands though such as radiohead who tend to be more abstract with plenty of sub bass, so I still find the 900s to work very well outside of dnb which is what I mostly listen to on them. Radiohead's new cd the king of limbs sounds especially fantastic on the 900s, it's essentially a cut and paste abstract dnb album with Thom's haunting vocals. On my other headphones the album was just average but on the 900s it's special.

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #1,478 of 5,992
It does sound artificial and I hate the Pro 900 with vocals. I love it with drums and bass and different genres of electronic.. when compared to the HD 800 vocal producing it's really embarrasing and not pleasant to the ear...

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #1,479 of 5,992

Quote:
i switch headphones when i switch genres 
L3000.gif
 but seriously though, IMO the blue dragon makes the pro 900 even LESS of an all-arounder than it started out being. godlier for techno/EDM, not so much for most other genres. honestly i'm not sure why you'd have the pro 900s at all unless EDM/hip hop/bass heavy music/entertainment was at least 60% of what you listened to, but of course everyone's different. 

Howcome? What do you hear the Blue Dragon cable doing to make the Pro 900 less of an all-around performer sonically? Just curious. I have an aftermarket DIY cable upgrade too (not Blue Dragon), and to my ears it improves things across the board making the Pro 900 much more enjoyable in all scenarios.

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #1,480 of 5,992

Quote:

Howcome? What do you hear the Blue Dragon cable doing to make the Pro 900 less of an all-around performer sonically? Just curious. I have an aftermarket DIY cable upgrade too (not Blue Dragon), and to my ears it improves things across the board making the Pro 900 much more enjoyable in all scenarios.

Because although the spike in sub bass is incredible for dnb/electronica, it sounds seriously muddied with rock and other genres. I'll try listening to fanfarlo or band of horses and the bass bleeds and covers up the midrange quite a bit. When I use the stock cable this is not the case. However the clarity you get from the cable is more than worth the narrowing of it's genre flexibility.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,482 of 5,992

Quote:
I'm not great with audiophile terms and describing sound, but aren't muddy and clarity sort of opposites?

By muddy I mean that theres simply to much of an emphasis on the sub bass in contrast to the rest of the sound spectrum. The overall clarity and quality of the sound is a huge jump over from the stock cable, but the emphasis is placed even moreso on the lower end than it was before. While this is fantastic for electronic music it's not so fantastic for rock and other genres that require more midrange emphasis.

In essence it's a very unbalanced sound which is either a very good thing or a very bad thing depending on what you listen to.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #1,483 of 5,992

Quote:

Because although the spike in sub bass is incredible for dnb/electronica, it sounds seriously muddied with rock and other genres. I'll try listening to fanfarlo or band of horses and the bass bleeds and covers up the midrange quite a bit. When I use the stock cable this is not the case. However the clarity you get from the cable is more than worth the narrowing of it's genre flexibility.

I see. Interesting. With the cable I have the bass is cleaned up, yet with the same ultimate deep extension. There's much less encroaching on any of the other frequency bands. The mids are also brought forward, with better detail, tone and natural character... Clarity in treble is also improved, as is soundstage size and scale. With this cable, I get like a 20% sonic improvement across the board, without any negative impact. When I switch back to the stock cable, everything sounds more muddy, not just the bass. It's all more congested, smaller in scale, and with less extension in the frequency extremes.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #1,484 of 5,992
Which cable is that cn11?

I am leaning towards the Blue Dragon due to the promise of boosted sub-bass. I'm not sure what people mean by better bass extension as it seems to me the Pro900 extends right down below 20Hz even with the stock cable, unless they mean it has increased amplitude at these lowest frequencies?

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #1,485 of 5,992

Quote:
I see. Interesting. With the cable I have the bass is cleaned up, yet with the same ultimate deep extension. There's much less encroaching on any of the other frequency bands. The mids are also brought forward, with better detail, tone and natural character... Clarity in treble is also improved, as is soundstage size and scale. With this cable, I get like a 20% sonic improvement across the board, without any negative impact. When I switch back to the stock cable, everything sounds more muddy, not just the bass. It's all more congested, smaller in scale, and with less extension in the frequency extremes.

I guess muddy was the wrong word to use, what I'm trying to say is that there's just to much bass/sub bass emphasis with the BD to work well with rock.
I do agree that there is a substantial sonic improvement across the entire spectrum.

But I don't agree with sounding more natural, to me they sound even more colored than before - which is why it blows my mind when I listen to bassnectar on these 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back