Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #1,366 of 5,992
Posted this in the advice thread but I would like the lovers opinion :wink:

[size=medium]
Hey there everybody! So far I have only been lurking in the IEM forum, but now I have decided I need something bigger :wink:
The thing is I am a committed bass-head, 90-95% of music I listen is dNb. I'm looking for some closed headphones with the best possible bass (and overall SQ ) in the price range of about 350$. So far I am leaning towards Ultrasone Pro 900. Are there any better options than these in this sort of price range? Will they leave me satisfied? Cause lets say I own FS atrio mg7, HJE-900, Eterna rev.1 and my source is cowon S9 and i still EQ them to Mach3Bass-10 and add another 4db in the lowest range. As well I listen to them at quite high volumes usually anywhere in between 28-35 out of 40.
Any advice much appreciated :wink:
[/size]

May 19, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #1,367 of 5,992

Quote:

I use my pro 900's with my e7/e9 and I think they do a fantastic job... but why would ever need the bass boost on these!? Also if you are willing to pay a little extra and really want to hear something incredible then get the blue dragon cable upgrade for your 900's.

I've heard all kinds of hi-fi headphone's, but when I plugged that cable into my 900s it was as if I was hearing hi-fi audio for the first time. I can't even imagine how amazed you would be from this as the 900's are your first high end headphone.

congratulations on your first big headphone purchase! like you I started with home theater and speaker setups and gradually moved onto headphones
jecklinsmile.gif

Well, while the bass of the Pro 900s as being quite good, some people crave for more (non bloated) presence. I'm one of those cases. While I'm very satisfied with these headphones, I do need more bass. Which is why I'm considering the Digizoid ZO.

May 19, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #1,368 of 5,992

Quote:

I use my pro 900's with my e7/e9 and I think they do a fantastic job... but why would ever need the bass boost on these!? Also if you are willing to pay a little extra and really want to hear something incredible then get the blue dragon cable upgrade for your 900's.

I've heard all kinds of hi-fi headphone's, but when I plugged that cable into my 900s it was as if I was hearing hi-fi audio for the first time. I can't even imagine how amazed you would be from this as the 900's are your first high end headphone.

congratulations on your first big headphone purchase! like you I started with home theater and speaker setups and gradually moved onto headphones
jecklinsmile.gif

An analogy I use for setting up a sound system is a Thanksgiving dinner spread. The bass is the table itself, the mids being the main course, and the highs being the sides. To get started, you need a table large enough to hold all the food comfortably. If the table is too small, none of the dishes will fit right. Sure, it will still taste the same, but it will be a completely uninviting experience. Next is the mids. This is your main course. This is why you are here. Everything else around is strictly there for support. The highs are the sides. This is what separates a good meal from a great one. It fills the patches, and adds just a little bit extra...

So, using that analogy, when I first put on my headphones, I noticed that while the bass was prominent, the highs were borderline overwhelming, and the mids were just slightly lacking. We had a large table so to speak, a dry turkey, and side dishes flowing off the table. To fix the issue, I didnt want to make major changes to my EQ, because that could end up completely altering the overall sound, metaphorically changing thanksgiving dinner to easter.... Instead, I wanted to bring up the bass just a hair (from my experience, bass boost from the receiver and/or amp is a lot more clean and subtle than any device connected to it down the chain) to make a little more room for the slight changes in the EQ to bring up the mids and still provide enough space for the sparking highs.

May 19, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #1,369 of 5,992
About 50 hours of burn-in deep now and the 900s have gotten even better. Most noticeably, the harshness of the highs has rolled off quite a bit (though they are still absolutely punishing with low quality recordings, that's not the 900's fault and not a major concern for me). I'll give them some more time before leaving more thorough impressions, but I'm definitely enjoying these so far.

Quote:
 Now that would be interesting, LCD-2 vs Pro 900 for bass. But we all already know who would win that one.

I've been contemplating picking up the LCD-2, but I know that to do them justice I would have to get a proper source/amp setup to accommodate them. For whatever reason the idea of spending $1000 on headphones doesn't bother me (probably mostly due to my appreciation of the artistic value of many of the beautiful high-end cans), but I can't bring myself to put such a chunk of my play money into the less glamorous stuff behind them just yet. I'm sure I'll come around eventually, though.

May 19, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #1,370 of 5,992
Hi

I am thinking of buying a pair of PRO 900 recently. It appears that the sound signature of PRO 900 is described as "bright highs, recessed mids and excellent bass". Whereas the amp I used is RSA SR-71A, the sound signature of which has much similarities with the above description.

So my question is: will PRO 900 really fit RSA SR-71A? I listen to mostly chamber music, then orchestra,acoustic and jazz. Thank you in advance for any advices.
normal_smile .gif

May 20, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #1,371 of 5,992

Quote:
Hi

I am thinking of buying a pair of PRO 900 recently. It appears that the sound signature of PRO 900 is described as "bright highs, recessed mids and excellent bass". Whereas the amp I used is RSA SR-71A, the sound signature of which has much similarities with the above description.

So my question is: will PRO 900 really fit RSA SR-71A? I listen to mostly chamber music, then orchestra,acoustic and jazz. Thank you in advance for any advices.
normal_smile .gif

well remember, you're talking about 400 dollar headphones. If you've been listening to 200 dollar headphones and haven't listened to upper tier headphones, than these well make your other headphones sound like play toys. However, if you have listened upper tier headphones, than these will sound a bit recessed in terms of the mids, but by no means a deal breaker. Many of us have fallen in love with these headphones, but you can't really go on our experience. I'm still in burn-in time so i know the mids will improve. For you, i think the true test of if these headphones are for you is trying them out for yourself. If all else fails, you can try to return it or you can sell it here for what you paid

May 20, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #1,372 of 5,992
I'm finding that the sub bass from the blue dragon really muddies up rock alot more than I initially thought, I've switched back to my hd595 for rock because of this... but man is it addicting to listen to with electronic music!

May 20, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #1,373 of 5,992

Quote:
I'm finding that the sub bass from the blue dragon really muddies up rock alot more than I initially thought, I've switched back to my hd595 for rock because of this... but man is it addicting to listen to with electronic music!

What other aftermarket cables are out there for Ultrasones? Besides xxx Dragon cables, that is. And within a reasonable budget, none of those $500+ cables, please. If possible, costing the same or less than the Blue Dragon cable.

May 20, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #1,374 of 5,992
Thanks lazysleepyboi. Yes I haven't listen to any headphones in this tier and cannot wait to take a trail however there are four candidates: Ultrasone PRO900, Denon AH-A100, Audio-Technica ESW10Jpn and Sony MDR-Z1000. I am not interested in making duels between them as they are all decent cans but wish to find the pair which is more suitable for my music preference 
happy_face1.gif
. Never try any headphones from Ultrasone before.

So far, among those cans could be driven by my portable system, the headphones I am using are MB Quart QP435S (AKA German Maestro GMP435S), Sennheiser HD25-1(w/HD650 cable) and Denon AH-D1001. Indeed I love the QP435S' way to perform music and they are thought to be my most balanced, natural and beloved headphones. Just wondering the naturalness of PRO 900 
confused_face(1).gif

Quote:

well remember, you're talking about 400 dollar headphones. If you've been listening to 200 dollar headphones and haven't listened to upper tier headphones, than these well make your other headphones sound like play toys. However, if you have listened upper tier headphones, than these will sound a bit recessed in terms of the mids, but by no means a deal breaker. Many of us have fallen in love with these headphones, but you can't really go on our experience. I'm still in burn-in time so i know the mids will improve. For you, i think the true test of if these headphones are for you is trying them out for yourself. If all else fails, you can try to return it or you can sell it here for what you paid

May 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #1,375 of 5,992
Alright, enough of this Blue Dragon business. Someone needs to step up and try Silver and Black Dragons! 

Sure it makes sense to pair the "bassy cable" with the "bassy headphone," but Ultrasone bass is already incredible to begin with. How about the other Dragons that don't emphasize the low end?

From the website I don't see much descriptions for the cables in terms of sound characteristics. I wonder if either the Silver or Black would bring out the mids that everyone puts the 900s down for. If these cables could do it, Pro 900s would be...amazing-ER!! It would go from a electronica/EDM/trance/hip-hop 'phone to an all rounder (theoretically)! I'd love to see comparisons to the D7000 at that point (at which the 900s will still be cheaper).

May 20, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #1,376 of 5,992

Quote:
Alright, enough of this Blue Dragon business. Someone needs to step up and try Silver and Black Dragons! 

Sure it makes sense to pair the "bassy cable" with the "bassy headphone," but Ultrasone bass is already incredible to begin with. How about the other Dragons that don't emphasize the low end?

From the website I don't see much descriptions for the cables in terms of sound characteristics. I wonder if either the Silver or Black would bring out the mids that everyone puts the 900s down for. If these cables could do it, Pro 900s would be...amazing-ER!! It would go from a electronica/EDM/trance/hip-hop 'phone to an all rounder (theoretically)! I'd love to see comparisons to the D7000 at that point (at which the 900s will still be cheaper).

No, it's wrong to say it's enough of the Blue Dragon. I like the Ultrasone Pro 900 bass, but I could have more, quite more. So I don't think a cable that doesn't improve bass at all is of interest to me.

May 20, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #1,377 of 5,992

Quote:

Drew from moon audio did recommend the silver dragon to me saying that it balances out the 900s very well. I am very tempted to get the silver dragon before the end of the summer

May 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #1,378 of 5,992
Hey, guys, this is off-topic but I was listening to my beloved Pro 750s last night and suddenly the left driver stopped working.  There was no audible noise or anything, just silence.  I've had the phones a couple years and they have been completely babied, never driven hard at all.  Wondering if you guys have advice on who to talk to about sending them in.  I'm guessing they are not under warranty if Ultrasone had only a 1 year warranty at the time.  This is very disappointing because I was thinking seriously about Ed 8s.  Lately I had been reaching for the 750s as much or more than my Denon D7000s.  Thanks for any advice.

May 20, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #1,379 of 5,992
Well, update.  Driver is working again w/out issue.  I have no idea what might have gone on there.  It was not the source because my other phones worked fine.  Cable was tight and connected fine.  I will report back if that ever happens again.  Back in business!  
L3000.gif

May 20, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #1,380 of 5,992
I had Silver Dragon. It made them sound kind of flat and thin. No good to my ears.
I'm very curious about the Black Dragon, I had the Black Dragon before on my K701 and liked it very much, I also have it on my HE5 and it makes them really good (balanced from a very good tube amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back