Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #1,351 of 5,992
Yes Dougge, the bass can get better. I wrote about it in my original Pro 900 review and also my review on the Blue Dragon. I'm sure you'll remember now that I mention it.

Quote:
These comments always put a smile on my face, as I felt the very same way upon initial impression. Imagine my shock, as these were my first ever high-end cans! I've had little time to enjoy them however, as I've been rather occupied with the IEM showdown. Nevertheless, there isn't a day where I have any regrets whatsoever regarding my 900 PRO's, and am forever grateful to everyone at head-fi for pointing me in that direction!
beyersmile.png

Wow, first high end cans? Cannot imagine the smirk on your face as you heard you first song! I was impressed and I already had went through quite a few headphones by that time.
I kinda do miss mine. I really, really miss the bass. But if I missed it *that* much, I would have got an LCD-2 over my HE-500. Now that would be interesting, LCD-2 vs Pro 900 for bass. But we all already know who would win that one.

May 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #1,352 of 5,992
I am willing tosacrifice a bit for better sub-bass (like D7000) and it sounds like BD is doing that...
I was planning to get an IEM but this may put a kink in my plan..

May 17, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #1,353 of 5,992
Quote:
I am willing to sacrifice a bit for better sub-bass (like D7000) and it sounds like BD is doing that...
I was planning to get an IEM but this may put a kink in my plan..

Ah, I forgot you had both the D7000 and Pro 900. I forgot to which you prefer? I'm guessing the D7000.

Let me guess. You are either planning on getting a really high end universal fit IEM or even thinking about going custom, but unfortunately if you do so, then it will take the funds away from something uber high end like an LCD-2. Which of course is known for having some of the best (if not the best) bass out of any headphone. And judging from your track record of both the Pro 900 and D7000, the LCD-2 is probably on your wish list...

May 18, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #1,354 of 5,992

Quote:
Ah, I forgot you had both the D7000 and Pro 900. I forgot to which you prefer? I'm guessing the D7000.

Let me guess. You are either planning on getting a really high end universal fit IEM or even thinking about going custom, but unfortunately if you do so, then it will take the funds away from something uber high end like an LCD-2. Which of course is known for having some of the best (if not the best) bass out of any headphone. And judging from your track record of both the Pro 900 and D7000, the LCD-2 is probably on your wish list...

Am I that predictable?
wink.gif

As much I would like to try both IEMs (less) and LCD-2 (more!) I don't think I will spend enough quality time with either (LCD-2 for being open) and am debating whether I should go all-in on what I have already.
I took PRO 900 on the train today for the first time and they did an awesome job although I did look a bit dorky which I couldn't care less
L3000.gif
I just need to get over the initial shock of $230 cable and reassess the cost/benefit ratio first.

May 18, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #1,355 of 5,992

Quote:
Am I that predictable?
wink.gif

As much I would like to try both IEMs (less) and LCD-2 (more!) I don't think I will spend enough quality time with either (LCD-2 for being open) and am debating whether I should go all-in on what I have already.
I took PRO 900 on the train today for the first time and they did an awesome job although I did look a bit dorky which I couldn't care less
L3000.gif
I just need to get over the initial shock of $230 cable and reassess the cost/benefit ratio first.

The 10ft BD was $230 with shipping but I believe that the 5ft would cost you about $180 with shipping if your in the u.s. I'll admit the 10 ft is a bit too long for my use, but I'd rather it be a little too long than too short! I really wish moon offered something in between 5 and 10 ft.

May 18, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #1,356 of 5,992

Hey Ultrazino,

I own recabled pro 900s and I have listened to the T1s extensively, as a friend of mine owns them. It's been a long time though and I don't know how accurate my impressions remain...
Well, nonetheless, I remember the T1 were brighter (too bright for my taste) and had a far larger soundstage. The detailing and transparency didn't seem any better, however. In fact, I thought that the mids on the pro 900s were a tad bit more detailed and grainier. As for the mids, I wouldn't jump to conclusions by claiming that they are better, but they definitely were more forward. I, for one, really like the mids on the pro 900s, but to each his own. Lastly and curiously, I do not remember how the bass was. I suppose that goes to show it's lack of authority. 
tongue_smile.gif

It was definitely pretty detailed and nice, but I fail to remember how energetic it was... 
To be honest, I wasn't really impressed with the T1s.
I remember preferring the Rs1i over them, but those are very different headphones.

Hope this provides further guidance.
Quote:
Thank you, Jibbie!

I can see now that there's no denying I need the T1 by the end of the year! I was hoping soundstage, highs and bass would come close and Beyerdynamic would justify the price by resolution and timbre.

Oh well... Here goes 6 months of no alcohol and eating nothing but toast!

May 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #1,357 of 5,992
Excuse me for being a newbie, but I am considering the BD for my Pro 900s.  How do the different connectors work?   How would I ensure I get the right one?

Thanks.

May 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,358 of 5,992

Quote:
Excuse me for being a newbie, but I am considering the BD for my Pro 900s.  How do the different connectors work?   How would I ensure I get the right one?

Thanks.

don't worry, i was in your shoes like... a week ago :) through some forum searching and emailing with Drew (the awesome guy behind moon audio) i came to decide i wanted the Blue Dragon as well. in fact, i just placed my order so now my wallet is that much lighter...!! i'm excited. anyway onto your question. the "best" quality you could get would be to send him your pro 900's and have him completely recable them and mod them for dual entry. this means he will actually drill a small hole in the right earcup (you can see there's already a place where the hole would go if it were there) and hardwire the blue dragon cable to your cans. this gets rid of any internal bottlenecks such as the circuitry that is used for the detachable cable and the internal wiring and solder. however, it's more expensive and you lose the flexibility of being able to change cables nearly instantly which i loved. i decided to go with a detachable cable, which in addition to convenience and price, is also a bit of mental insurance in that if i (for some reason) decide i like the sound with the stock cable better, i can always go back. also, if i like the BD cable that much, i could in the future send him my detachable cable and my 900s and he can (for a price) mod the cable and phones for dual entry and hard wire it. if you decide to go the detachable route, your only real decision is what kind of plug you want the cable to have, either 1/8" or 1/4". i chose 1/4" but it's up to you. depending on if you use them with an amp or out of a portable device you should be able to decide which connector will suit you best. when you order the cable you will tell him it is for your Pro 900's, so he will know what adapter to use on the other end. i hope that helps. i'll make sure to post my observations when my cable comes.

May 18, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #1,359 of 5,992

This helps a bunch, thanks. :)

Looking forward to your opinion on the cables so keep us updated. :)

Quote:
don't worry, i was in your shoes like... a week ago :) through some forum searching and emailing with Drew (the awesome guy behind moon audio) i came to decide i wanted the Blue Dragon as well. in fact, i just placed my order so now my wallet is that much lighter...!! i'm excited. anyway onto your question. the "best" quality you could get would be to send him your pro 900's and have him completely recable them and mod them for dual entry. this means he will actually drill a small hole in the right earcup (you can see there's already a place where the hole would go if it were there) and hardwire the blue dragon cable to your cans. this gets rid of any internal bottlenecks such as the circuitry that is used for the detachable cable and the internal wiring and solder. however, it's more expensive and you lose the flexibility of being able to change cables nearly instantly which i loved. i decided to go with a detachable cable, which in addition to convenience and price, is also a bit of mental insurance in that if i (for some reason) decide i like the sound with the stock cable better, i can always go back. also, if i like the BD cable that much, i could in the future send him my detachable cable and my 900s and he can (for a price) mod the cable and phones for dual entry and hard wire it. if you decide to go the detachable route, your only real decision is what kind of plug you want the cable to have, either 1/8" or 1/4". i chose 1/4" but it's up to you. depending on if you use them with an amp or out of a portable device you should be able to decide which connector will suit you best. when you order the cable you will tell him it is for your Pro 900's, so he will know what adapter to use on the other end. i hope that helps. i'll make sure to post my observations when my cable comes.

May 19, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #1,360 of 5,992
Well, Ive been trolling head-fi for a long time (and just finally registered), and was about to buy some headphones from the buyers guide. It seemed like the recommendation was to go with the PRO 750s, but then when I read the forums, everyone said get the 900s. So, I went out, got a pair of the PRO 900s, and a e7/e9. Now, this is my first set of on ear headphones (always went with IEMs), my first headphone amp, and basically my first upgrade since my Ultimate Ear super.fi 5s (and horrible Bose Tri-Ports). I've always been a home theater nut, and always put my time and money into that (and making sure the theater system can go into a two channel music room as well), and just used my headphones when I was traveling. I never thought I could get the same experience from a set of headphones. OH MY GOD! My ears have been smiling for the last two days. The sound is amazing, and having a wide soundstage with headphones is a new experience for me. Even though the 900s seem a little light on the mids, some simple EQ tweaks seem to bring everything in line. I have no idea why I waited so long to get some cans.

Right now, I think I have the sound the way I want (until burn-in is complete), but I'm curious. Anyone else using the e7/e9 with the 900s? If so, how do you have it set? I have high gain on, and bass boost 1, and then configured my EQ around that. Anyone found something that they feel works better?

May 19, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #1,361 of 5,992
welcome :) i'm using the exact same setup as you right now and, like you, absolutely loving it. the 900's are definitely a bit (but only ever so slightly) recessed in the mids so i also EQ them. i have a few different ones, one for electronica with a mid and bass emphasis and a tiny dip in the 4-8k range which helps with the sibilance. for non-EDM i tend to just boost the mids a tiny bit and leave everything else alone. 

as to the e7/e9 combo, i'm assuming you have the e7 docked into the e9. if so, the e9 is bypassing the amp (and therefore the EQ/bass boost) on the e7 and simply using it as a DAC. your computer feeds the digital info via USB into the back of the e9 which just routes it into the e7 where it is decoded, turned into an analog signal, and then passed along to the e9 itself for amping. you'll notice if you put your e7 on EQ setting 3 and dock it in the e9 it sounds no different than EQ 0 whereas if you use the e7 alone, as a portable amp (as i do a lot at work with the pro900s) you'll find a HUGE difference between 0 and 3. for me, the eq is usually at 1 or 0 with the pro 900's since they have such amazing bass already. with my 990/600's if i'm gaming or listening to some bass-heavy music i love the e7 on 3. hope that makes sense. as to the gain setting, i can honestly say that i either don't know enough or just don't have the ears to hear a difference. obviously it's louder lol... i tend to turn it off for the pro900's so i can more finely adjust the volume, and pop it on when im listening with the 990/600's. maybe others have more input on that point.

Quote:
Well, Ive been trolling head-fi for a long time (and just finally registered), and was about to buy some headphones from the buyers guide. It seemed like the recommendation was to go with the PRO 750s, but then when I read the forums, everyone said get the 900s. So, I went out, got a pair of the PRO 900s, and a e7/e9. Now, this is my first set of on ear headphones (always went with IEMs), my first headphone amp, and basically my first upgrade since my Ultimate Ear super.fi 5s (and horrible Bose Tri-Ports). I've always been a home theater nut, and always put my time and money into that (and making sure the theater system can go into a two channel music room as well), and just used my headphones when I was traveling. I never thought I could get the same experience from a set of headphones. OH MY GOD! My ears have been smiling for the last two days. The sound is amazing, and having a wide soundstage with headphones is a new experience for me. Even though the 900s seem a little light on the mids, some simple EQ tweaks seem to bring everything in line. I have no idea why I waited so long to get some cans.

Right now, I think I have the sound the way I want (until burn-in is complete), but I'm curious. Anyone else using the e7/e9 with the 900s? If so, how do you have it set? I have high gain on, and bass boost 1, and then configured my EQ around that. Anyone found something that they feel works better?

May 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #1,363 of 5,992
Thank you too, Leander7777!

It's been a while since I last heard the PRO750, but I'd say the bass is fairly close to the T1, just not as pronounced with the Beyer and way further back in the soundstage. I swear, the bass on the T1 is precise and punchy like Ultrasone!

I'm also not a mids guy, but I wouldn't describe the T1 as bright. I'm thus very surprised the PRO 900 is supposed to sound warmer. I know the HFI-780 sounds warm in comparison (although a friend described them as cold just recently), but I'd say the PRO 750 is brighter and colder than the T1.

However, I'm totally convinced I need either the PRO 750 or 900 next to a T1. I will get the Ultrasone first, though. (Hopefully very soon!)

I'm so excited! Payday can't come soon enough! :)

May 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #1,364 of 5,992

Quote:

I use my pro 900's with my e7/e9 and I think they do a fantastic job... but why would ever need the bass boost on these!? Also if you are willing to pay a little extra and really want to hear something incredible then get the blue dragon cable upgrade for your 900's.

I've heard all kinds of hi-fi headphone's, but when I plugged that cable into my 900s it was as if I was hearing hi-fi audio for the first time. I can't even imagine how amazed you would be from this as the 900's are your first high end headphone.

congratulations on your first big headphone purchase! like you I started with home theater and speaker setups and gradually moved onto headphones
jecklinsmile.gif

May 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #1,365 of 5,992
Crud... with all the impressions of what a huge and transformative change the Blue Dragon cables make, I'm tempted to try them even though I'm already running a $65 DIY cable from another member here. I'd like to hear that cable comparison, and see if there are any further improvements to be had. When I got this DIY cable installed I heard the same things as described here lately about the BD cable, but it's just not a 'night/day' difference. It's more of a subtle effect, but definitely changes the sonics for the better. If it can be at least that amount of change again, then my money's already spent I'd say!! Heh. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back