Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #1,337 of 5,992
I only listened to the T1 briefly at a meet a month ago, but I'll chime in because no one has yet.  An important thing to remember is that I only listen to electronic and metal music.  Anyways, the T1 obviously kills the Pro 900 in soundstage, separation, resolution, detail, and musicality.  It is indeed a great headphone.  The bass isn't there as much as it is with the Pro 900, not even close really.  It is very detailed bass, but nowhere near the volume of bass that is on the Ultrasones.  The mids are better too.  The Pro 900 comes close in detail and imaging (for a closed can anyway) while having noticeably worse mids.  For me, the Pro 900 is still king for electronic music, as well as a very good candidate for metal.  The T1 is an amazing all arounder, but I wouldn't get it unless I listened to other genres that demanded the tonality and balance of the headphones.   Hope this helps.

May 17, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #1,338 of 5,992
Sounds like a great headphone. Too bad it just doesn't have more bass presence. If it did, I'd probably own a pair by now! 

Thanks for the impressions.

May 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #1,339 of 5,992
For anyone that's interested, I recently got the XB1000 and for me it does not beat the Pro900 for electronic music I listen to (IDM, dubstep, jungle, D&B, breakbeat etc). I know DJAmtrax preferred the XB1000 out of the two, but for me preference goes to the Pro900.

I prefer the the presentation of the Pro900 and find it to be more detailed overall and the bass more satisfying. The Pro900 has more punch in the mid-bass and good quantity in the sub-bass which goes right down to about 12Hz when I measured it with a tone generator (although it is a very slight flutter at that point). The XB1000's bass goes deeper I think, but is too soft and somewhat distant sounding (maybe from the bigger soundstage?). I find even with dubstep, which tends to have more sub-bass, the Pro900 does a better job of delivering the lower notes with authority than the XB1000.

I realise they are in different price brackets, but I'm still a little disappointed in them. I also think I prefer the XB700 to the XB1000 as it is more in your face than the XB1000.

So IMO, for bassheads on a budget get the XB700 or if you can afford it, get the Pro900! Of course, this is purely my preference and some might disagree and prefer the XB1000 to the Pro.

May 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #1,340 of 5,992
Thank you, Jibbie!

I can see now that there's no denying I need the T1 by the end of the year! I was hoping soundstage, highs and bass would come close and Beyerdynamic would justify the price by resolution and timbre.

Oh well... Here goes 6 months of no alcohol and eating nothing but toast!

May 17, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #1,341 of 5,992
Jibbie, you're making me more and more happy with my Pro 900 as time goes by. Who knows, I might even go nuts and get a Blue Dragon cable or something. But I should probably be saving up for a LCD-2...

May 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #1,342 of 5,992
These just came in today and... wow. Undoubtedly the most impressive bass presence I've ever heard on a headphone, even straight out of the box. Fantastic pairing with all kinds of EDM. Too early to tell, but I might go all out on these and get them balanced with some quality cables. Much thanks to everyone in this thread that recommended these, as I certainly would've overlooked them otherwise.

May 17, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,343 of 5,992
I'm considering buying a pair of 900's...even though they'r.cheap from buyauthorized I wouldn't mind saving by  getting 750's...how much would I be downgrading? I have similar tastes in music to the  OP.

May 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #1,344 of 5,992
Quote:
These just came in today and... wow. Undoubtedly the most impressive bass presence I've ever heard on a headphone, even straight out of the box. Fantastic pairing with all kinds of EDM. Too early to tell, but I might go all out on these and get them balanced with some quality cables. Much thanks to everyone in this thread that recommended these, as I certainly would've overlooked them otherwise.

Yup, out of the box impressed the heck out of me. I actually kinda got scared for a moment, the bass was almost too good... 
tongue_smile.gif

May 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #1,345 of 5,992
These comments always put a smile on my face, as I felt the very same way upon initial impression. Imagine my shock, as these were my first ever high-end cans! I've had little time to enjoy them however, as I've been rather occupied with the IEM showdown. Nevertheless, there isn't a day where I have any regrets whatsoever regarding my 900 PRO's, and am forever grateful to everyone at head-fi for pointing me in that direction!
beyersmile.png

May 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #1,346 of 5,992
Thanks Bob!
I'm really prone to getting them from BuyAuthorized due to so many recommendations!
Stefano

Quote:
All of buyauthorized's PRO 900's are open box. Mine were in perfect condition when they arrived though.

Thanks again lazysleepyboi!!

But the e7+e9 goes for $250.00, which is basically the price for some amps like the iBasso (which I read some great opinions about).

Is there any "pro"-like amp for a little lower price?
Do you think the arrow amp is better then the iBasso?

THANKS very much again, and sorry for keep on making questions!
Stefano

Quote:
the fiio e7 or e9 seems to be your best option for that price range. I personally have an arrow amp which cost 300 dollars and i never owned any amp besides that so i really can't tell you if the fiio is good or not. Most people say that it works for an entry level amp for a beginning head-fier so it would probably be safe to get that one. Most people get the fiio e7 and e9 together since it works better that way, but you can do whatever you want to fit your budget. For the Pro 900s, get them on buyauthorized on ebay cause i believe that he gives the lowest price, 350 US

May 17, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #1,347 of 5,992
Go to Micca store, you can get the e7/e9 combo for 199.99.

Awesome deal.

I love my setup with the 900 Pro.  I want to get a tube amp but for the price, the e7/e9 is worth it.

Quote:
Thanks Bob!
I'm really prone to getting them from BuyAuthorized due to so many recommendations!
Stefano

Thanks again lazysleepyboi!!

But the e7+e9 goes for $250.00, which is basically the price for some amps like the iBasso (which I read some great opinions about).

Is there any "pro"-like amp for a little lower price?
Do you think the arrow amp is better then the iBasso?

THANKS very much again, and sorry for keep on making questions!
Stefano

May 17, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #1,348 of 5,992
May 17, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,349 of 5,992
May 17, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #1,350 of 5,992

Quote:
'I call BS on the bass claim as PRO 900's bass cannot get any better!'
That's me hypnotizing myself.
Dude, you're killing me...

Unfortunately it's a con aswell as it does muddy up rock and other genres, but sounds fantastic on electronic and bass heavy music. It looses just a bit of that distinct tightness and control that makes the pro 900 so special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back