Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 15, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #1,306 of 5,992
If anyone wants to hear one of the most euphoric tunes I've ever heard with my 900 PRO's, give this track a listen; trust me, you won't regret it! 
wink.gif

May 15, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #1,307 of 5,992

Quote:
If anyone wants to hear one of the most euphoric tunes I've ever heard with my 900 PRO's, give this track a listen; trust me, you won't regret it! 
wink.gif

Not my type of music, but that beginning to it is amazing on the 900s.  I skipped through the song and definitely see what you like about the song with these head phones.  Thanks for the link, it's one of the songs I will use from now on to demo the 900s to friends.

May 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #1,308 of 5,992
Agreed my friend, it's really the beginning that I enjoy most! The rest of it is mediocre; though I must admit, Andy Moor is an absolute genius!

May 16, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,309 of 5,992
My blue dragon came in today, along with the realization that I've now spent around $800 (shipping included) on my pro 900.

I'll be sure to post my impressions once I've had a good listen
L3000.gif

May 16, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #1,310 of 5,992

Quote:
My blue dragon came in today, along with the realization that I've now spent around $800 (shipping included) on my pro 900.

I'll be sure to post my impressions once I've had a good listen
L3000.gif

that's a bit scary that you spent that much, would love to hear your thoughts about the blue dragon cable. I'm thinking about getting one, but not quiet yet. A little short of money, so we'll see what happens during summer. So far i've only spent 350, looks like i have quiet a bit to go before i reach that 800 mark

May 16, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #1,311 of 5,992
i'm very interested in your blue dragon impressions as well. my pro 900's just reached about 200 hours of burn in and i smile bigger every time i put them on. i figure i'd wait another few weeks before deciding on whether to do the cable or not. i keep reading that the blue dragon makes the sound more "smooth" but am not really sure what that means... i listen to 90% techno and electronica and don't want to lose the incredible texture/extension of the treble, but could do with a bit less sibilance. it's gotten much better through burn in... any techno/house/dubstep listeners with the pro 900/blue dragon combo want to chime in with their thoughts? 

May 16, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,312 of 5,992
Did any of the 900 owners have the chance to listen to the Beyerdynamic T1? I love it's punchy bass (could be more emphasized) and the soundstage is amazing. Can the Ultrasone compete?

I just want fun and energy in music. Apparently I only get that out of Ultrasone and the T1 of all fullsize headphones I've tried...

May 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #1,313 of 5,992
AWESOME track!!

Quote:
wink.gif

Thanks Bob!
Did your came open box too?
Stefano

Quote:
A lot of people, including me, have bought them from buyauthorized on ebay. They aren't fakes and are the cheapest price you can get I think.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ULTRASONE-PRO900-PRO-900-PROFESSIONAL-STUDIO-HEADPHONES-/270736932102?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f092dbd06

May 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #1,314 of 5,992
Can I get (almost) the most of the Pro900 driving it from an iPod Classic (6th Gen)?
Or should I buy an amp?

Thanks!
Stefano

May 16, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #1,316 of 5,992

Quote:
Can I get (almost) the most of the Pro900 driving it from an iPod?
Or should I buy an amp?

Thanks!
Stefano

that's not possible with a portable player unless it was designed for audiophiles in mind. The iPod is more mainstream and the player that would be most capable to power it with no worries is the Hifiman, but even that benefits from an external amp. You have to understand, you don't really need an amp, it's just that with an amp, the sounds becomes more refined and better. It's better for you to experience it yourself, but since you don't have an amp, take my word for it. You can really power it with your iPod, but there's always something going to be lacking. You might find it okay, but for many of us, we keep our Ultrasone's at home or we have a portable amp connected with our players. Either way, they are powered by something other than just a player. So to summarize, you can get away with an iPod only setup, but you won't experience everything that everyone has talked about. The sound might not suit you later and you'll be wanting more, so i would say get an amp or get a lower model ultrasone. Lower model will probably be better since you can start on the lower tiers and work your way up like many of us have.

May 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #1,317 of 5,992

Quote:
Can I get (almost) the most of the Pro900 driving it from an iPod?
Or should I buy an amp?

Thanks!
Stefano

No. You get something out of an iPod, (and not too bad either) but not "almost the best" , you need an amp for that, a desktop amp. A portable amp may get you halfway.

May 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #1,318 of 5,992
Wow, awesome explanation!
Thanks very much lazysleepyboi!!

I'm brazilian, and will be in California on July.
I think this is a great opportunity to get a "once and for all" (or something like it ;D - I mean, a really good one) headphone, since I won't be going back to the US so soon.

So, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks, though I'd really appreciate if they were as lower as possible.

Do you recommend me any "cheap" amp that would really help me achive the max of these hps?

Thanks!
Stefano

Quote:
that's not possible with a portable player unless it was designed for audiophiles in mind. The iPod is more mainstream and the player that would be most capable to power it with no worries is the Hifiman, but even that benefits from an external amp. You have to understand, you don't really need an amp, it's just that with an amp, the sounds becomes more refined and better. It's better for you to experience it yourself, but since you don't have an amp, take my word for it. You can really power it with your iPod, but there's always something going to be lacking. You might find it okay, but for many of us, we keep our Ultrasone's at home or we have a portable amp connected with our players. Either way, they are powered by something other than just a player. So to summarize, you can get away with an iPod only setup, but you won't experience everything that everyone has talked about. The sound might not suit you later and you'll be wanting more, so i would say get an amp or get a lower model ultrasone. Lower model will probably be better since you can start on the lower tiers and work your way up like many of us have.

Thanks Kees!
Do you recommend me any amp that that would take them to at least almost the best?
Stefano

Quote:
No. You get something out of an iPod, (and not too bad either) but not "almost the best" , you need an amp for that, a desktop amp. A portable amp may get you halfway.

May 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #1,320 of 5,992
Alright I've been listening to my 900's with the blue dragon cable for about an hour now...
Let me just say that this is my first cable upgrade, and I had no idea that the changes would be THIS DRASTIC!!!!

It sounds like I'm listening to an entirely different headphone. I'll be sure to post detailed observations once I've had a little bit more time to listen.

p.s I'm nearly pissing myself with joy atm
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back