Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #1,276 of 5,992

Quote:
     Quote:

I don't think any of my IEMs truly sound like the Pro900, but slightly similar I'd say Westone 3, JVC FX700 and Monster Turbine Pro Coppers.

that could be very true, at least in my experience i haven't heard anything like the Pro 900s. There's no IEM that extends as much as the Pro 900s do, so you might be disappointed. I believe that you can get the high and mids of the Pro 900s, but in terms of the lows, no way. You really can't get that depth and that much detail from the lows when you go to the IEMs. Custom is usually the best option for your price range as well as getting the best seal/comfort/sound as possible. But you said you didn't want customs, so like shamrock134 said, Westone 3, JVC FX700, Monster Pro Coppers. I'll throw in the CK10 or CK100 as well as the Sennheiser IE8s. Maybe a little SE535 also. Try looking at these specific ones and then make your decision there. At least it narrows the selection down a bit, but in all honesty, you could've easily googled this question. I've been reading this thread in particular for a while, and now we're just repeating exactly what we said before. Next time google before you ask questions please! Redundancy is not fun for any of us reading this forum and thread

May 12, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #1,277 of 5,992
Quote:
Today's status update:

Wow, getting better and better.  You people might not be insane after all.

Highs continue to calm down.  A lot less shriek-ey, less painful on the ears.  Still needs to calm down some more, and integrate with the rest of the sound more... but definitely coming right along.

Dare I call these musical?  Perhaps they are on the verge.  I am looking forward to what another night of burning does for them.

Remember, you can always try the Kees Mod. It will definitely put things in line if that's what you want. (Super easy mod by the way, all stuff needed bought at Wal-Mart)

May 12, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #1,278 of 5,992
I think the Sony MDR-EX1000's come closest of anything I've heard to sounding like the Pro 900's. With the Headstage Arrow, the EX1K's are almost as enjoyable! 

May 12, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #1,279 of 5,992

Quote:
I think the Sony MDR-EX1000's come closest of anything I've heard to sounding like the Pro 900's. With the Headstage Arrow, the EX1K's are almost as enjoyable! 

Even in the bass region? The reviews I read didn't suggest it was a bass monster.

I've always thought my FX700 and W3 sounded similar to the Pro900. The W3 has the highs and mid-bass punch, but is lacking in sub-bass. The FX700 seems to be very similar overall but has no isolation so is no good outside for me.

May 12, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #1,280 of 5,992

Quote:

I need those IEM's!!! They're priced so aggressively though... my eyes are peeled however.
wink.gif

May 12, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #1,281 of 5,992

Quote:
     Quote:

Even in the bass region? The reviews I read didn't suggest it was a bass monster.

I've always thought my FX700 and W3 sounded similar to the Pro900. The W3 has the highs and mid-bass punch, but is lacking in sub-bass. The FX700 seems to be very similar overall but has no isolation so is no good outside for me.

In the bass area they definitely lag a bit, but the rest of the range is quite similar. If anything, the mids with the EX1000's are even better than the ever so slightly recessed midrange of the Pro 900's. But there's just no way that any small dynamic driver is going to capture the same quality of bass that the quick driver of the Pro 900's. I think the FX700's are rather similar in character too though. 

May 12, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #1,282 of 5,992

Quote:

I need those IEM's!!! They're priced so aggressively though... my eyes are peeled however.
wink.gif

Yeah, hopefully they'll come down below the $499 mark at some point. But I think considering they're a significant step better (to my ears anyway) than the IE8 (whose retail was originally $449) they do represent an okay sound-to-dollar value. My opinion though!  
ksc75smile.gif

May 12, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #1,283 of 5,992
Quote:
Remember, you can always try the Kees Mod. It will definitely put things in line if that's what you want. (Super easy mod by the way, all stuff needed bought at Wal-Mart)

I may well do so... just letting them burn in for a bit first, as recommended.  Today's update: no real changes from yesterday.  Probably starting to enter into diminishing returns, but might as well do it properly and thoroughly before Keesing it (haha).

May 12, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #1,284 of 5,992

Quote:
Yeah, hopefully they'll come down below the $499 mark at some point. But I think considering they're a significant step better (to my ears anyway) than the IE8 (whose retail was originally $449) they do represent an okay sound-to-dollar value. My opinion though!  
ksc75smile.gif

The IE8's are a steal at their current street price, and can be had anywhere from $200-$250 BNIB. The EX1000 is a rarity however, and hardly ever sold; which makes me want it that much more!
evil_smiley.gif

May 12, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #1,285 of 5,992
My main concern is bass. As I am just getting into IEMs, I have no idea what to expect. I did try a Senn CX### (don't remember the exact number) but it was so underwhelming that I thought something was broken. I heard IE8 is nice but not for bassheads. In fact, I don't think I heard anyone describing bass as monstrous on IEMs. FX700's and EX1000's reviews sound decent.
Why are the IEMs so darn expensive when they are so small
rolleyes.gif

May 12, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #1,286 of 5,992
On a different note, I just got the silver pads and I LIKE THEM!
They are slightly softer to touch and I also dig the look on them. Itchiness I was experiencing is almost gone (I think it will be completely gone when it wears a bit).

May 12, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #1,288 of 5,992
Quote:
Where did you hear that lol?

IMO it is a very bassy IEM with the dial on full, but they do not sound like the Pro900 which is what you asked originally.

Yeah, I think I got it mixed up with a different one. I read so IEM review in the past two days that my head is spinning.
I think Monster Turbine or IE8 may be a good starting point.

May 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #1,289 of 5,992
I don't want to take it too OT from the Pro900, but it depends if you are looking for just a bassy IEM or a bassy IEM similar to the Pro900.

I still think the Westone 3 or MTPC or FX700 imitate an in-ear Pro900 quite well in terms of treble and bass. Although, if isolation is important forget the FX700.

May 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #1,290 of 5,992

Quote:
Yeah, I think I got it mixed up with a different one. I read so IEM review in the past two days that my head is spinning.
I think Monster Turbine or IE8 may be a good starting point.

Refer to my review, as I've heard both the MTPG (bloated) and owned the IE8's for nearly 2 years.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back