Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #1,246 of 5,992

Quote:
I almost wrote exactly something like that because mine sounded so bad off the case. You got yourself a not burnt in Ultrasone.

Glad to hear it.  I like how these feel on my head, and from how much everyone else likes them here, I hope to keep them for awhile.  I've been looking at the Kees mod and might try that, as well.  I'll continue to let them play overnight and see how it goes.  Thanks for the responses so far!

May 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #1,247 of 5,992

Quote:

Glad to hear it.  I like how these feel on my head, and from how much everyone else likes them here, I hope to keep them for awhile.  I've been looking at the Kees mod and might try that, as well.  I'll continue to let them play overnight and see how it goes.  Thanks for the responses so far!

glad you like the feel of it as well, haha. Not many people have liked the feel of it and some even call it uncomfortable, but that's entirely subjective. Like others have said, you'll need to break it in until at least 200-400 hours before burn-in is complete. I've started liking the sound after 40 because the mids finally began to come out for me. The lows tighten up and in some respects, you get used to the bass quantity and quality. For me, I can't stand to listen to my brother's AKG K702's anymore. Something about the Pro 900s have scared me from listening to them without wanting more. For the Kees mod, make sure to burn it in for 200 hours before you do it. You might find out that you like the sound a lot more after the 200 hours. I find myself not needing to do the Kees mod because there's no reason to, but that's just me. 

May 9, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #1,248 of 5,992
Baglunch:

I'd also try taking the pads off, and then putting them back on again properly. The reason I say this is because my pads EACH FELL OFF within 30 minutes of opening them! I think the 'open-box' ones that buyauthorized sells was the culprit somehow, and I had to twist each pad on securely because of this. I'm sure that's probably not the case with your as you got them from another user, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Also, regarding the Kees mod-most people here will tell you that they don't offer much improvement if any once burn-in is complete. So I'd wait til you have 3-400 hours on them before trying it since the sound will be changing anyway from the burn-in.

-Daniel

May 9, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #1,249 of 5,992
Funny you said that because I also own a Denon (AVR_5803A) and I tried the headphone out on it and the sound was the same as you descibed. You would think that Denon would put a better headphone out on a $4500.00 receiver. I also own a HiFi-Man 601 which I just received about 2 months ago and the sound blew away the Denon. I was amazed at how much of a difference I heard. Now my Pro 900's are only 1 month old so they are still breaking in but there was still A HUGE difference in sound quality.

Quote:
I've just bought a set, and after having plugged them into my home stereo (Denon) and into my CD carousel (Pioneer Elite), I'm tremendously disappointed so far with the Pro 900.  Hopefully it's just the headphone jack on my sources not doing these justice, but they sound like someone's put a blanket over a speaker: boomy but muted... ok in the bass, but very muffled mids and a spike in the highs, but also muted and unnatural sounding.

I'll be bringing them into the office Monday and hooking them up to my Gamma Lite DAC and M^3 amp, and desperately hoping things improve.

I don't think the driver's blown: there's no crackling, they get louder as you turn up the volume, etc.  If using a proper headphone rig once I get to work doesn't improve things, do you guys have any suggestions?  So far I've only used the coiled cable with the 1/4" plug, so tomorrow I'll try out both cables.

To be clear: I don't mean to say I don't like the sound signature, I mean that I think something isn't right.  No headphone costing more than 10 bucks should sound like this

May 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,250 of 5,992
Quote:
     I'd also try taking the pads off, and then putting them back on again properly.

The earpads came off taking them out of the case the first time, but I'm confident they are on properly and firmly now.  But I'm encouraged by the burn-in advocates.

May 9, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #1,251 of 5,992
Is there an IEM tfhat delivers the kind of sub-bass the 900's do? I'm sure its of obviously no comparison, but which IEM's come closest, with regards to specifically EDM, which is exclusively what I use my 900's for (and they're exceptional in that regard!). If I could just find the IEM equivalence of the 900's, I'd be a happy soul!

May 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,252 of 5,992

Quote:
Is there an IEM tfhat delivers the kind of sub-bass the 900's do? I'm sure its of obviously no comparison, but which IEM's come closest, with regards to specifically EDM, which is exclusively what I use my 900's for (and they're exceptional in that regard!). If I could just find the IEM equivalence of the 900's, I'd be a happy soul!

Atrio M5 or Monster Miles Davis for sub-bass monsters. W3 for a mid-bass punch to the face. IE8 (full dial) for a wall of bass from mid to sub.

May 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #1,253 of 5,992

Quote:

Atrio M5 or Monster Miles Davis for sub-bass monsters. W3 for a mid-bass punch to the face. IE8 (full dial) for a wall of bass from mid to sub.

i haven't owned the others, but for the IE8's i would say no. Most definitely no! The bass might be nice, but the mids and highs fail to amaze and since you have some Pro 900s, you're always going to be looking for more for the IE8s. I have IE8s, and after i get some money together, im going after some 1964 quads =]

May 9, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #1,254 of 5,992
As per my sig, I myself owned IE8's for nearly 2 years, and while they are great for this genre, they certainly aren't the best. If my CK10's had the bass quantity of the IE8's however, well I'll stop there. One can always dream, right? :rolleyes:

May 10, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #1,255 of 5,992
I am thinking about a recable and am torn between the blue and black dragon. I want to bring out the mids and tame the highs, any recommendations?

May 10, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #1,257 of 5,992
Just as a status update: burning them in almost around the clock, and that tiny transistor radio is slowly upgrading itself.  Now it's good bass and an old style boom box off in the corner.  So it's headed in the right direction.  I'm still getting used to how separated all instruments are... like each instrument and voice lives in its own place in the headphone.

May 10, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #1,258 of 5,992
The Pro 900s are very good at imaging, almost too good IMO.  Every sound does indeed come from its own place, and sometimes, this works against the musicality of the song

Quote:
Just as a status update: burning them in almost around the clock, and that tiny transistor radio is slowly upgrading itself.  Now it's good bass and an old style boom box off in the corner.  So it's headed in the right direction.  I'm still getting used to how separated all instruments are... like each instrument and voice lives in its own place in the headphone.

May 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #1,259 of 5,992
Hey every1, new to the forums, not really an audiophile but want some really beast headphones. I almost brought myself some beats pro's, but then I stumbled upon this forum and saw the unanimous hate for them lol.. So i started fishing for some alternatives and as of right now i'm loving the idea of having these. I need some help from u audio gurus to decide whether they're right for me.

There's a few things that have me apprehensive about buying them, firstly i'm not planning on amping them (was just gonna rely on my ipod to drive them - i know i'm a noob :D) and was wondering how they would sound. I take that they'll still sound better that un-amped beats? Secondly, all my music is bought from Itunes at 256kbps AAC are these headphones too detailed (i.e. unforgiving) for my music collection? Lastly, not a major issue though, I was wondering if the detachable cable was just a straight forward jack on both ends.

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

P.S as aforementioned i'm not too experienced with headphones and hardly an audiophile of any sort, so i'm fairly confident the sound will blow me away :)

May 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #1,260 of 5,992

Quote:
Hey every1, new to the forums, not really an audiophile but want some really beast headphones. I almost brought myself some beats pro's, but then I stumbled upon this forum and saw the unanimous hate for them lol.. So i started fishing for some alternatives and as of right now i'm loving the idea of having these. I need some help from u audio gurus to decide whether they're right for me.

There's a few things that have me apprehensive about buying them, firstly i'm not planning on amping them (was just gonna rely on my ipod to drive them - i know i'm a noob :D) and was wondering how they would sound. I take that they'll still sound better that un-amped beats? Secondly, all my music is bought from Itunes at 256kbps AAC are these headphones too detailed (i.e. unforgiving) for my music collection? Lastly, not a major issue though, I was wondering if the detachable cable was just a straight forward jack on both ends.

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

P.S as aforementioned i'm not too experienced with headphones and hardly an audiophile of any sort, so i'm fairly confident the sound will blow me away :)

Whats your music taste? And if you are just going to use your ipod to drive these then your better off spending less money on a lower end ultrasone like the hfi-580. You just won't get the same commanding detailed sound that makes the pro 900 so special without an amp. They will still sound fantastic unamped but nowhere near your potential or what you paid for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back