Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 8, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #1,231 of 5,992
I've just bought a set, and after having plugged them into my home stereo (Denon) and into my CD carousel (Pioneer Elite), I'm tremendously disappointed so far with the Pro 900.  Hopefully it's just the headphone jack on my sources not doing these justice, but they sound like someone's put a blanket over a speaker: boomy but muted... ok in the bass, but very muffled mids and a spike in the highs, but also muted and unnatural sounding.

I'll be bringing them into the office Monday and hooking them up to my Gamma Lite DAC and M^3 amp, and desperately hoping things improve.

I don't think the driver's blown: there's no crackling, they get louder as you turn up the volume, etc.  If using a proper headphone rig once I get to work doesn't improve things, do you guys have any suggestions?  So far I've only used the coiled cable with the 1/4" plug, so tomorrow I'll try out both cables.

To be clear: I don't mean to say I don't like the sound signature, I mean that I think something isn't right.  No headphone costing more than 10 bucks should sound like this.

May 8, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #1,232 of 5,992
Many people have posted on this thread with similar opinions on the Pro 900, only to discover that the cable was not inserted correctly.

May 8, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #1,233 of 5,992

Quote:
Many people have posted on this thread with similar opinions on the Pro 900, only to discover that the cable was not inserted correctly.

Haha, I have every hope to discover that, myself... but I don't see how it can be inserted any other way.  The one end screws into the earcup until it stops, and the other end just plugs in like every other headphone plug, right?  Any suggestions on adjusting how they plug in?  Thanks!

May 8, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #1,234 of 5,992

Quote:

Haha, I have every hope to discover that, myself... but I don't see how it can be inserted any other way.  The one end screws into the earcup until it stops, and the other end just plugs in like every other headphone plug, right?  Any suggestions on adjusting how they plug in?  Thanks!

uhhh, what's your burn in time? These headphones require some patience because they get better over time. Some people like them immediately and others fall in love later. 

May 8, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,235 of 5,992
I don't really know... the original seller just mentioned they were in mint condition, but not how long they used them... so presuming they didn't use them at all, then they have about an hour or two, but I'm going to be burning them in overnight...and then on-head over the next couple weeks at least before making any final judgement.

May 8, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,236 of 5,992
I don't know about other Pro 900 users, but mine really opened up about the 200+ hour mark. One day I listened and I was like, "Hey! Where did all that treble go?" Bass does indeed tighten more with burn in, as well as treble calming down. But if you aren't impressed initially, I don't think any amount of burn in will change your mind.

May 8, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #1,237 of 5,992
Hold the 3.5mm jack that screws into the earcup between your fingers where there are indents.  Insert firmly into the earcup, without screwing, until the jack will go no further, once it is in as far as it can go, start threading it in clockwise until it is firmly in place.  I agree that it seems like such a simple thing to do, but I myself, along with many other people, inserted it incorrectly the very first time.  I haven't inserted it wrong since, but it is very easy to do the first time you get the Pro 900s.  I hope this fixes the issue.

Quote:

May 9, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #1,238 of 5,992
     I let my girlfriend open these when I received them last week, and she put the cable in herself in approximately 3 seconds flat. I said, "here, let me do it", assuming she didn't get it in all the way based on all the comments here about it's 'difficulty'. But sure enough it was perfectly snug. I told her how this thread hasd been derailed a few times with this 'issue' lol, and I told her I'd chime in here with this story lol, so here I am! She's only 115 lbs, a real girly-girl too...but hey guys this is all in good fun, but true!! Man up and just plug that damn thing in! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

-Daniel

May 9, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #1,239 of 5,992

Quote:
I've just bought a set, and after having plugged them into my home stereo (Denon) and into my CD carousel (Pioneer Elite), I'm tremendously disappointed so far with the Pro 900.  Hopefully it's just the headphone jack on my sources not doing these justice, but they sound like someone's put a blanket over a speaker: boomy but muted... ok in the bass, but very muffled mids and a spike in the highs, but also muted and unnatural sounding.

I'll be bringing them into the office Monday and hooking them up to my Gamma Lite DAC and M^3 amp, and desperately hoping things improve.

I don't think the driver's blown: there's no crackling, they get louder as you turn up the volume, etc.  If using a proper headphone rig once I get to work doesn't improve things, do you guys have any suggestions?  So far I've only used the coiled cable with the 1/4" plug, so tomorrow I'll try out both cables.

To be clear: I don't mean to say I don't like the sound signature, I mean that I think something isn't right.  No headphone costing more than 10 bucks should sound like this.

Pretty much what I thought when I first got them. After around 100 hours of usage though, things have definitely improved. 
biggrin.gif

So far, the treble has calmed down, it's lost most of its harsh "metallic" sound, although certain vocals and high pitched sounds split my ears a bit but it's definitely a lot better. I know exactly what you mean about the bass, at first it sounded like it was encroaching into the mids where it had no business being, but again, after some burn-in (and HEAVY usage 
smily_headphones1.gif
) it's receded back where it should be but has still retained its thump and definition.

Hang in there buddy, let these cans settle in and you won't be regretting your purchase. 
wink.gif

May 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #1,240 of 5,992
baglunch-
Definitely hang in there and have some patience with them, as others have said already. I hope we can all get the issue figured out with you, because when running properly the Pro 900's aren't anything like muddy and veiled, at least to me. I think their mids are every so slightly recessed, but nothing terrible at all. They take well to amping which helps control the bass, and a cable will help some with that too. And like mentioned, more hours on the pair, for sure.

I had thought the pads may not be securely locked into place, but then I realized you'd be getting a washed out light bass sound, and would notice some sound leakage coming in on that side.

May 9, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #1,241 of 5,992
If my 780 are any indication of burning in... about 400 hours until the veil was washed away! I hated how they sound about until then and was seriously considering returning them. Patience and reward will come :)

May 9, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #1,243 of 5,992
i don't know about burn-in for 200 hours or more, I've definitely noticed a difference between 0 and 40 hours because everything got refined, but I guess I'll have to wait to see at 200 hours if it's just as amazing as it is now. Everything has different tastes, maybe I'm special? Can't wait to get to 200 hours! Oh yeah, how much do these benefit from an amp? If you had to choose between the Little Dot IV SE, Little Dot VII, or Little Dot VIII SE, which one would you choose. I only want this selection of amps because they're a bang for the money (from what I've read), but I'm completely opened to other amps. I've got an arrow amp right now, but i'm looking to get a desktop amp soon. My setup right now is:

Asus Xonar ST ---> Cambridge DacMagic ---> Ultrasone 900 or KRK RP5

Right now i'm happy with the sound since I'm not 200 hours into my Ultrasone 900's yet, I believe that they'll become more refined, but I'm looking for an amp that will last a long time. What i mean by that is that they'll open up the Pro 900's more and that they'll be good enough to power future headphone purchases as well. I could plug my DacMagic to my arrow amp but like i said, i would like to have a desktop amp. 

May 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #1,244 of 5,992
Ok, at work now, and on my proper rig.... it's about the same.  Really nice lows, but the rest of it is almost listening to an old transistor radio (or something modulated to sound that way).  And there seems to be a large physical separation between the bass and the rest, like they are coming from different speakers on opposite ends of the earcup, giving the impression of the bass leaning over your shoulder and saying "hi there", and the rest of it sitting ten or fifteen feet away, playing on a little plastic radio.

I am exaggerating to better give you the sense of what I'm hearing, but not by a lot.  I'll take them home again tonight and take some pictures with the pads on and off, and maybe you guys can tell me if everything looks as it should.  Also, is there anyone in the Vancouver, BC area with Pro 900 experience that I could meet with to see if it's just me?

May 9, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #1,245 of 5,992

Quote:
Ok, at work now, and on my proper rig.... it's about the same.  Really nice lows, but the rest of it is almost listening to an old transistor radio (or something modulated to sound that way).  And there seems to be a large physical separation between the bass and the rest, like they are coming from different speakers on opposite ends of the earcup, giving the impression of the bass leaning over your shoulder and saying "hi there", and the rest of it sitting ten or fifteen feet away, playing on a little plastic radio.

I am exaggerating to better give you the sense of what I'm hearing, but not by a lot.  I'll take them home again tonight and take some pictures with the pads on and off, and maybe you guys can tell me if everything looks as it should.  Also, is there anyone in the Vancouver, BC area with Pro 900 experience that I could meet with to see if it's just me?

I almost wrote exactly something like that because mine sounded so bad off the case. You got yourself a not burnt in Ultrasone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back