Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 16, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #1,321 of 5,992

Quote:
Alright I've been listening to my 900's with the blue dragon cable for about an hour now...
Let me just say that this is my first cable upgrade, and I had no idea that the changes would be THIS DRASTIC!!!!

It sounds like I'm listening to an entirely different headphone. I'll be sure to post detailed observations once I've had a little bit more time to listen.

p.s I'm nearly pissing myself with joy atm
biggrin.gif

My wallet is really hating you colmustard, like really really hating you. I am super tempted into getting a blue dragon cable............no must resist! arghhh

May 16, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,322 of 5,992

Quote:

My wallet is really hating you colmustard, like really really hating you. I am super tempted into getting a blue dragon cable............no must resist! arghhh

x2.

For real, maybe I should block head-fi.org until I get a job. lol

May 16, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,324 of 5,992

Quote:
ok before we go onto asking about amps for it, what's your price range? 

Do you want it to be portable or are you ok with it being a desktop amp only?

Well, I'd go for ~$150.00 tops, a little more if it makes a great difference.
Hopefully, a lot less, as the headphone is kinda expensive!

As for portability, I really don't mind! I'll listen to the Pro900s only at home.

I'd really go for the best deal possible!

Thanks again!!
Stefano

May 16, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #1,326 of 5,992

Quote:

Well, I'd go for ~$150.00 tops, a little more if it makes a great difference.
Hopefully, a lot less, as the headphone is kinda expensive!

As for portability, I really don't mind! I'll listen to the Pro900s only at home.

I'd really go for the best deal possible!

Thanks again!!
Stefano

the fiio e7 or e9 seems to be your best option for that price range. I personally have an arrow amp which cost 300 dollars and i never owned any amp besides that so i really can't tell you if the fiio is good or not. Most people say that it works for an entry level amp for a beginning head-fier so it would probably be safe to get that one. Most people get the fiio e7 and e9 together since it works better that way, but you can do whatever you want to fit your budget. For the Pro 900s, get them on buyauthorized on ebay cause i believe that he gives the lowest price, 350 US

May 17, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #1,327 of 5,992

Quote:
Alright I've been listening to my 900's with the blue dragon cable for about an hour now...
Let me just say that this is my first cable upgrade, and I had no idea that the changes would be THIS DRASTIC!!!!

It sounds like I'm listening to an entirely different headphone. I'll be sure to post detailed observations once I've had a little bit more time to listen.

p.s I'm nearly pissing myself with joy atm
biggrin.gif

can i ask what music you listen to? i'm eagerly awaiting a more detailed description of why it's so much better because i'm 49% ready to pull the trigger.... and my hours just got extended at work meaning i have more expendable income... arrrrghhhhhhhh! 
L3000.gif

May 17, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #1,328 of 5,992
The reported improvements with a blue dragon cable always get me curious, but I still can't help feeling reluctant to spend so much money on a piece of wire.

I'm similarly reluctant to upgrade my GS Solo SRGII psu to the PSU1 for fear of not actually noticing any improvements.

May 17, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #1,329 of 5,992

Quote:
The reported improvements with a blue dragon cable always get me curious, but I still can't help feeling reluctant to spend so much money on a piece of wire.

I'm similarly reluctant to upgrade my GS Solo SRGII psu to the PSU1 for fear of not actually noticing any improvements.

Yeah the cost is huge, and I'll admit that it's in the land of diminishing returns.

But the changes from the blue dragon I'm finding are significant, it completely opened up the pro 900 in a way that I really didn't expect. There are both subtle and huge improvements, aswell as things that I really don't like about it. I'll post my thoughts tonight when I get back from work!

May 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #1,330 of 5,992

Quote:

Yeah the cost is huge, and I'll admit that it's in the land of diminishing returns.

But the changes from the blue dragon I'm finding are significant, it completely opened up the pro 900 in a way that I really didn't expect. There are both subtle and huge improvements, aswell as things that I really don't like about it. I'll post my thoughts tonight when I get back from work!

what shocks me the most is that you're finding big changes, most people that have taken the step towards a blue dragon upgrade said that there were small changes that were noticeable but not huge

May 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #1,331 of 5,992

Quote:

Definitely looking forward to this. What I find even more interesting is that you're using the J$ pads as well!

Hopefully you're liking how they sound :).

May 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #1,332 of 5,992

Quote:

what shocks me the most is that you're finding big changes, most people that have taken the step towards a blue dragon upgrade said that there were small changes that were noticeable but not huge

I was expecting small changes, which I did find in some instances. What I didn't expect was the incredible change in clarity and transparency. Going back to the stock cable it sounds as if there's a thick pad blocking out the detail that I'm hearing from the blue dragon. It really sounded like an entirely different headphone when I first listened to them with the blue dragon.

May 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #1,333 of 5,992

Quote:

I was expecting small changes, which I did find in some instances. What I didn't expect was the incredible change in clarity and transparency. Going back to the stock cable it sounds as if there's a thick pad blocking out the detail that I'm hearing from the blue dragon. It really sounded like an entirely different headphone when I first listened to them with the blue dragon.

so are the lows still there? does the bass still reach deep and hit hard? And if so, does that mean that the blue dragon cable brings forward the mids and highs a lot more? Oh yeah, did you get your cable terminated with a 3.55 plug or a 1/4 plug?

May 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #1,334 of 5,992

Quote:
so are the lows still there? does the bass still reach deep and hit hard? And if so, does that mean that the blue dragon cable brings forward the mids and highs a lot more? Oh yeah, did you get your cable terminated with a 3.55 plug or a 1/4 plug?

1/4 plug, and the bass is there with more authority than I would have ever expected. The biggest improvement is the bass extension, but more on that later tonight :)

May 17, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #1,335 of 5,992
Never owned a nice pair of headphones, started out with gaming headsets then blam I went all the way to the 900 Pro's and I almost cried because of how good my electronic music sounded and movies were even more amazing than before.

Looking to get an amp for them later on not sure which one yet but I'm sure that whatever I go with it will amaze me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back