Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #1,216 of 5,992

Quote:
not to mention the resale value on it! LOL i've seen people sell it here for 100% of what they paid for it, so you wont regret it if you end up with the arrow amp. Just let the idea settle in your mind for a little, if you're like me, you'll pull the trigger and click BUY! LOL 

I don't doubt it, mainly to sidestep the long wait time for Robert to finish the amp and ship I'm thinking. It pairs up very well with the Pro 900s.

May 6, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #1,217 of 5,992

Quote:
Another addition to the work rig, now with Pro 900, Sony X1061, and new (to me) MisterX AMB M^3 amp & power module. Sounding very open and spacious. It's been a good afternoon! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Those pads look beautiful on the Pro 900s.

May 6, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #1,218 of 5,992

Quote:

I think the J$ pads are exactly what you need. Not only are they much more comfortable but you will find that they deepen the soundstage and help tighten the bass. The mids will also come out a bit. You can buy the v3 J$ denon pads here. http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headphone-parts/jmoney-v3-denon-earpads-for-d2000d5000d7000-pair.php

Swapping out the pads is a very simple and easy DIY that can be done in 3 steps once you have the J$ pads.

1.) Take the extra pair of stock pro 900 pads and rip the plastic swivels that lock into the driveheads from the bottom of the pads. You will probably need scissors to cut them off. You may or may not leave the thin cloth in the middle of the swivel.

2.) Figure out what angle you wish to attach the plastic swivels to the J$ pads to ensure that they connect correctly. All you need to do here is hold the swivel to the J$ pad and pretend you are locking it into place to see where the J$ pad will be once it's locked in.

3.) Take a hot glue gun and apply a thin layer of glue to the top of the plastic swivel. Press the J$ pads to the swivel and let it cool.

Thanks for this, I'll look in to it. :)  

May 6, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #1,219 of 5,992
ARGH. I've been watching these headphones for a solid month now, and have been meaning to get them. My M50s just won't cut it for me anymore, I need these cans. But while I'm here, whaddya guys think about having the iBasso T3 to hold me over with the Pro 900s as I procure more funds for the Arrow? Lastly, I understand these 'phones tend to be a bit harsh on songs with lower bitrates - does that mean I'll have to completely convert my library to FLAC?

May 6, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #1,220 of 5,992

Quote:
ARGH. I've been watching these headphones for a solid month now, and have been meaning to get them. My M50s just won't cut it for me anymore, I need these cans. But while I'm here, whaddya guys think about having the iBasso T3 to hold me over with the Pro 900s as I procure more funds for the Arrow? Lastly, I understand these 'phones tend to be a bit harsh on songs with lower bitrates - does that mean I'll have to completely convert my library to FLAC?

i can't answer your question about the iBasso since i don't have it and i only have my arrow amp which i love dearly. =] to answer your other question, it matters a bit that you have good quality music but not necessarily FLAC. The source of your music is also important, whether you're running music off your computer's built-in soundcard or if you have some other cheap DAC that you're using, it all matters. I have a Asus Xonar St connected to a Cambridge DacMagic and the combination seems to work really well. My music varies between 320kps and other bitrates. I try to get the highest bitrate when i get my music but sometimes it's not possible. Don't convert your entire library to FLAC just yet. Wait till you actually get the headphones and see for yourself if you need to or not. My main reason for not going completely FLAC still remains that i want to put as many songs into my mp3player as possible. And by the same concept, I'd rather fill up more music on my hard drive than go with all FLAC. There's a little gap between 320kps and FLAC as far as i can tell (some people can't tell the difference at all), but it's not enough to justify 4-5 times the size of the file. I'm running off 320kps so you should be fine!

May 6, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #1,221 of 5,992

Quote:

i can't answer your question about the iBasso since i don't have it and i only have my arrow amp which i love dearly. =] to answer your other question, it matters a bit that you have good quality music but not necessarily FLAC. The source of your music is also important, whether you're running music off your computer's built-in soundcard or if you have some other cheap DAC that you're using, it all matters. I have a Asus Xonar St connected to a Cambridge DacMagic and the combination seems to work really well. My music varies between 320kps and other bitrates. I try to get the highest bitrate when i get my music but sometimes it's not possible. Don't convert your entire library to FLAC just yet. Wait till you actually get the headphones and see for yourself if you need to or not. My main reason for not going completely FLAC still remains that i want to put as many songs into my mp3player as possible. And by the same concept, I'd rather fill up more music on my hard drive than go with all FLAC. There's a little gap between 320kps and FLAC as far as i can tell (some people can't tell the difference at all), but it's not enough to justify 4-5 times the size of the file. I'm running off 320kps so you should be fine!

What? Getting FLAC is always a good idea (as long as it's a proper rip), benefiting every and all gear it's listened to. Worst case scenario, get 320kbps CBR mp3 or VBR V0 mp3.

May 6, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #1,222 of 5,992

Quote:

Those pads look beautiful on the Pro 900s.

Thanks! I had to order them separately from Ultrasone USA. Apparently they're not part of the original package anymore. I like the feel on ear better than the black too. It's a slightly more 'slippery' finish velour. A touch less itchy. 

May 6, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #1,223 of 5,992

Quote:

Converting to FLAC isn't necessary but should improve the sound. I can hardly tell the difference between 320kbps and FLAC. 256kbps isn't bad either but is definitely a noticeable step down.

May 7, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #1,224 of 5,992
I'd like to point out the importance of turning the pads every so often.  After wearing these headphones for long periods, the ear pads really start to conform to your head.  If you simply unscrew them, turn them slightly so that the pads will be in a different position than they were originally, and then screw them back in, you can keep them sounding balanced.  For some reason, my left earpad is always slightly thinner than the right, so the bass seems louder in my left ear cup.  After twisting the pads, this phenomenon disappears and they sound perfectly balanced again.  This may seem redundant or unnecessary to many of you, but I've done it a few times now and am always happy with the results.  The Pro 900s are, after all, probably the pickiest headphones ever in terms of driver position in relationship to your ear.  The pads play a huge role in this.

Just some food for thought.  Maybe I'm crazy and suffer massive placebo 
confused.gif

May 7, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #1,225 of 5,992
I agree these are the only headphones I've owned that seem to have different 'sweet spots' depending on what you want to hear lol. It gets frustrating because I always find myself repositioning the cups every few songs because they keep slipping away and changing the sound from where I had them. To me it doesn't seem like there is enough clamping force to keep them in place. My head is 7 5/8ths which I thought was considered big. Oh well.

-Daniel

May 7, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #1,226 of 5,992

Quote:
Thanks! I had to order them separately from Ultrasone USA. Apparently they're not part of the original package anymore. I like the feel on ear better than the black too. It's a slightly more 'slippery' finish velour. A touch less itchy. 

Really? That's a pitty, I got my pair with the silver pads and, while they do look a lot nicer and are more comfortable, I find that the black pads sound a bit better. Their stiffer structure, places the driver further from your ear, thus the soundstage seems a bit bigger. I might be wrong, but that's the impression I got after switching back and forth for the past 6 months. 
Well, it doesn't matter, as I order a pair of J$ v2 pads yesterday. Jeremy was nice enough to find me a pair of v2 pads. 
tongue.gif

May 7, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #1,227 of 5,992

Quote:
I'd like to point out the importance of turning the pads every so often.  After wearing these headphones for long periods, the ear pads really start to conform to your head.  If you simply unscrew them, turn them slightly so that the pads will be in a different position than they were originally, and then screw them back in, you can keep them sounding balanced.  For some reason, my left earpad is always slightly thinner than the right, so the bass seems louder in my left ear cup.  After twisting the pads, this phenomenon disappears and they sound perfectly balanced again.  This may seem redundant or unnecessary to many of you, but I've done it a few times now and am always happy with the results.  The Pro 900s are, after all, probably the pickiest headphones ever in terms of driver position in relationship to your ear.  The pads play a huge role in this.

Just some food for thought.  Maybe I'm crazy and suffer massive placebo 
confused.gif

Quote:
I agree these are the only headphones I've owned that seem to have different 'sweet spots' depending on what you want to hear lol. It gets frustrating because I always find myself repositioning the cups every few songs because they keep slipping away and changing the sound from where I had them. To me it doesn't seem like there is enough clamping force to keep them in place. My head is 7 5/8ths which I thought was considered big. Oh well.

-Daniel

Agreed with both of you. I knew that the driver position could lead to some balance issues if the headphones weren't positioned properly, but I've almost gone crazy due to some severe shifts between songs. So no, it's definitely not placebo by any means.

On another note, I wish someone sold alternative pads for the Pro 900 (or any Ultrasones that can have replaceable pads), but with the whole locking mechanism and everything, not just the pads. And I'm still curious as to how the XB1000 pads would sound on the Pro 900
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #1,228 of 5,992

Quote:

Really? That's a pitty, I got my pair with the silver pads and, while they do look a lot nicer and are more comfortable, I find that the black pads sound a bit better. Their stiffer structure, places the driver further from your ear, thus the soundstage seems a bit bigger. I might be wrong, but that's the impression I got after switching back and forth for the past 6 months. 
Well, it doesn't matter, as I order a pair of J$ v2 pads yesterday. Jeremy was nice enough to find me a pair of v2 pads. 
tongue.gif

I think the same thing happened for me, but opposite how it did for you. My black pair got so worn, compressed and softer that when I got the silver pads on I noticed they felt stiffer and put the driver farther away from the ear. Getting the sweet spot was easier with the new silver ones too. Remains to be seen how that holds true as they wear and compress.

Awesome about the J$ pads. Can you take some photos and put up a short tutorial once you get them in as you do the mod? I'm still going to sacrifice a pair of my black pads and do this too at some point.

May 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #1,229 of 5,992
Leander7777:

Be sure to post in depth impressions for the J$'s when you have a chance. I'm thinking of getting some, but not until after I try the Blue Dragon first after burn-in in a couple weeks probably. I'm mainly interested in the J$'s because I assume they will stay in place better and provide a more consistent sound by not moving around too much. Here's hoping.

-Daniel

May 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #1,230 of 5,992
Yes, I'll be sure to take some pictures and post my in depth impressions. However, please note that I'm getting the v2 pads, which are thicker and slightly softer. I purposely insisted on getting the outdated version, as Nachkebia said he tried both the v2 and v3, and claimed that he much preferred the v2's sound sig. Jeremy, who runs J$, searched his stockpile for them and told me that I was lucky he found any. Furthermore, they are made quite differently. The v2 pads are softer and thicker, while the v3s are thinner and use memory foam, which he claims is more comfortable. Nevertheless, Colmustard got the v3s and seems very happy with them. I would have still bought the v3s if Jeremy hadn't found me a pair of v2s. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back