Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #1,066 of 5,992

Quote:
hey, you got some albums you recommend for me? these headphones are the best so far with drums and bass and dubstep, you got some good stuff?

If I may...check out Bajofondo Remixed on your 900s. It's "electronic tango" if you don't mind female Spanish vocals, it's horrendously good on the 900s.
The Alexkid mix on there is exceptional with the vocals and neo-tango music

It does this to me

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #1,067 of 5,992
Thank you, I'll check it out, do you know if it's available in flac aswell?
I really like Moby's tracks. his songs are well known but it's so engaging with the Pro 900 along with the Auditor.
Fat of the land is good, Immersion 

Apr 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #1,070 of 5,992

Quote:
Yep, people should not make excuses for spending less money than needed :)
hey, you got some albums you recommend for me? these headphones are the best so far with drums and bass and dubstep, you got some good stuff?

Certainly, my highest electro recommendation is "Drink the Sea" - The Glitch Mob, followed by "Immersion" - Pendulum
These albums are unbelievable on the pro 900, very high quality stuff.

Also anything by Netsky, Bassnectar ("Cozza Frenzy" and "Timestretch" ep's),  Zeds Dead, Chase & Status, Bare Noize, and Sub Focus is fantastic. They all deliver very high quality recordings which is key, most dubstep and dnb I find to be poorly produced so I mainly listen to these guys when I'm in the mood to rattle my skull.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #1,071 of 5,992
Yeah, so, I picked up Moby's "Wait For Me Remixes" on the way home from work and put it through the 900s on my Denon receiver...

I was, and still am, all

Quote:
Thank you, I'll check it out, do you know if it's available in flac aswell?

Well my copy is flac, but I buy and rip CDs personally (archaic, I know)

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #1,072 of 5,992
I can't wait to receive my 900's this coming Monday! Their my first ever Ultrasones!
beerchug.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #1,075 of 5,992
Hi everyone,

I purchased a pair of these and received them a couple of days ago, while the sound from them has been *AMAZING*, especially for electronic genres (which constitute 80-90% of my listening time), it feels like most of the bass is coming out of the left speaker and it's starting to hurt my ear. I tried putting them on the wrong way but that confused me even more because they sounded awful and just.. wrong.

Has anyone else experienced prominence from the left speaker and/or ear pains with them ? Do I just need to burn them in or could I have a faulty pair ? I've tried re-seating the cable (the coiled one) and different headphones just to clarify it's not my source.

Thanks.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #1,076 of 5,992
something sounds wrong, I would suggest ensuring that your screwing in the cable as TIGHTLY as possible, and make sure its as far in as it can go before you screw it into place.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #1,077 of 5,992
That was my first thought, I've owned Ultrasones before and I know from experience how warped they can sound if the jack isn't in correctly. I've tried multiple times to insert them as far as they can go and twist until they absolutely will not twist further.

It just sounds like the bass is a little weak in the right and very prominent and "boomy" in the left, it hurts my left ear. :frowning2: I'm hoping it's just an artifact of insufficient burn-in but I have the creeping feeling it's a by-design S-Logic characteristic, in which case I will probably have to sell or return them, which would be a shame because otherwise, they're perfect.

Quote:
something sounds wrong, I would suggest ensuring that your screwing in the cable as TIGHTLY as possible, and make sure its as far in as it can go before you screw it into place.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #1,078 of 5,992

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I purchased a pair of these and received them a couple of days ago, while the sound from them has been *AMAZING*, especially for electronic genres (which constitute 80-90% of my listening time), it feels like most of the bass is coming out of the left speaker and it's starting to hurt my ear. I tried putting them on the wrong way but that confused me even more because they sounded awful and just.. wrong.

Has anyone else experienced prominence from the left speaker and/or ear pains with them ? Do I just need to burn them in or could I have a faulty pair ? I've tried re-seating the cable (the coiled one) and different headphones just to clarify it's not my source.

Thanks.

Yes, just take the pad off of the right headphone and twist it a little and put it back on. Keep doing this intil the bass sounds even in both headphones. You will also hear a big difference as far as the soundstage goes, it won't sound like it's out of phase.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #1,079 of 5,992

Quote:
Yes, just take the pad off of the right headphone and twist it a little and put it back on. Keep doing this intil the bass sounds even in both headphones. You will also hear a big difference as far as the soundstage goes, it won't sound like it's out of phase.

Spot on. :wink:

When I first unboxed them I messed around with the pads and I think I reversed them, after swapping them back around everything sounds perfect. I'm not sure whether it was the reversing the pads or the re-seating that helped but obviously the pads make a HUGE difference. You guys probably already knew that but it's news to me, so I'll take more care with them in future.

I know I've already said it but these cans are incredible, I thought my Beyerdynamic DT990's were excellent but these just blow it away, and apparently there's more to come with adequate burn-in! I can't wait. If anyone out there is looking for great all-rounders with a lean towards electronica then you need to SERIOUSLY consider these headphones, especially if you're a bass-head (like me).

Oh and regarding burn-in, I'm not sure whether it's placebo, messing with the pads or indeed; burn-in but after around 30 hours of use, the bass has tightened up noticably and has receeded from the mid-range a little.

Thanks!

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #1,080 of 5,992

Quote:
Well, I was surprised to say the least. I think I'm feeling slightly changes in the sound, some tightening up here and there, but so far it seems to be improving somewhat.
I do like the overall clarity improvement, but I'm starting to realize that I might be a bigger basshead than I previously realized if I find the bass not that over the top as I've read some people say. I'm already afraid of the whole upgrade thing, since people are saying that LCD-2 and HE-4 only extends lower, not that it has more or even the same impact of the Pro 900. I got to admit that digiZoid ZO personal subwoofer is starting to look more appealing. What's wrong with my ears and why do I need more bass
confused.gif

About the whole comfort issue, I can safely say that for my ears with glasses on them as well, they're very comfortable with the stock pads.

One thing that worries me is when I'm putting the headphones on my head, the headband stretches and the section of the headband where the top pad resides stretches quite a bit, like if it was gonna break. While I do agree that the plastic does feel like it's the good stuff, that bending worries me.

Nothing wrong at all. These headphones come the closest to my home audio set up with bass, but still not there. I have dynaudio contours 2.5 and 2 M&K mx-200 subwoofers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back