Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #5,926 of 5,992
I did not like the fostex myself, kind of a 'cheap' sound with not a lot of body. There is bass, just.. the sound isn't very thick to my ears.
Love: HE-560, K7XX, HE-400i, HD650 Modded - Also have a DT770 modded that I use just for closed back needs.
The Pro 900 is a great closed can, it just suffers when it comes to realistic sound. It is an enjoyable listen though for what it is, just fatigues easily.
Want bass? Go for a port sticker removal on a K702/XX nutter bass for an open set of headphones. You can also get them for cheap used.
Have a good amp/dac? 400i is a really sweet spot to be. iDSD or Schiit gear does this headphone justice. Some consider it bass light, it just doesn't bleed at all from the tone it is asked to play so.. prepare yourself for that. When I play a game and a nade blows with a very minor EQ it is quite intense. Anyways, GL!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #5,927 of 5,992
Those cans are magic. while I can't really point on a "3D feeling", the stage is huge and very detailed.
As for now, some tracks are too bass heavy and sometimes "dirty" - I hope to see that changes during time.
Out of the box: worst V-shape feeling. completely obscure. bass is uncontrolled and bloated, highs are harash and mids are just missing.
24 hours into those cans doing it's wonder: bass is more calm, high isn't harash anymore and the mids - they are just there, slightly restrained, but there.

How much time should I expect for it to get even more balanced?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #5,928 of 5,992
I interpreted the 'sales pitch' to mean that the Dnote feeds a digital signal to the speaker driver, rather than a normal analogue signal. Consequently the driver is fed a signal consisting of voltage steps, with the smoothing between the steps being non-existant. This lack of smoothing, will be the main 'driver' for the relatively high level of distortion.
If you want to use the Dnote to drive Wireless speakers at a picnic, you may not notice the distortion, but if you are trying to listen to orchestral music as realistically as possible, you may run away screaming. :ksc75smile:

Those cans are magic. while I can't really point on a "3D feeling", the stage is huge and very detailed.
As for now, some tracks are too bass heavy and sometimes "dirty" - I hope to see that changes during time.
Out of the box: worst V-shape feeling. completely obscure. bass is uncontrolled and bloated, highs are harash and mids are just missing.
24 hours into those cans doing it's wonder: bass is more calm, high isn't harash anymore and the mids - they are just there, slightly restrained, but there.

How much time should I expect for it to get even more balanced?

I am not absolutely sure that they are going to go much more balanced...

Aug 28, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #5,929 of 5,992
I tried some ultrasones the other day and loved their sound. Sparkly treble! I think they were pro 900. If I was to go for some ultrasone should I go for these or save for the signature dj model? I have hd800s for home listening so these are for work eric.

Aug 28, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #5,930 of 5,992
Meant etc not eric! Bloody phone!

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #5,931 of 5,992
I tried some ultrasones the other day and loved their sound. Sparkly treble! I think they were pro 900. If I was to go for some ultrasone should I go for these or save for the signature dj model? I have hd800s for home listening so these are for work etc.
Sound: DJ vs Pro vs 900 - refined with more bass vs refined vs slightly recessed mids with more bass. Wear comfort: up to 3h vs up to 3h vs 8h with new pads(14h after my pad mod). Mechanical quality same for all, just leather and cloth difference. S logic: Signature series needs more accurate positioning for effect to take place. Negatives: Signature shallow pads(for me) and weaker cable connectors than pro series, 900 headband wears off fast(older model-lots of head pain later), pads wear off after 3-4 years. So from my perspective: take DJ if You want to look good, have very good sound, leather pads, have smaller ears(maybe closer to head, mine goes up to the metal inside pad sometimes), take 900 if You need strong and damage prone workhorse, possibly want to modify it later(Kees mod, pads from ED10/12, balanced mod), want to use continuously long hours. Mine 900 are used daily now for games, music, movies, portable. Signature Pro for quality FLAC instrumental(meaning classical, jazz, opera, etc) shared with ED12 sometimes. What I have read, that ultrasone prefers non digital amplifiers/DACs more, thou I'm using Necosoundlab amp myself(can be used without any amp no prob.), EMI shielding is cool thing too.. Hope this helps. P.S. don't forget - loong burn in is required. And I corrected writing problem of Yours too :wink: .

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #5,932 of 5,992
Wow i cant believe its been 5 years since i got my pair of pro 900's! They still sound just as amazing as the day i got them, Today i fitted a new set of ear pads, i decided to try a cheap set from ebay listed for the Beyerdynamic DT440 DT660 DT770

Here are some pics of my ghetto installation haha, i literally sowed the new pads to the spin lock plates on my spare old set. I am pleasantly surprised by these new pads the bass is now more pronounced and the highs are a little more clear which i believe is due to the thinner layer of material that covers the speaker which i removed from the old set along with the plastic mesh. I believe the leather effect is better at amplifying the bass due to its density compared to the velour pads which absorb the bass..

IMG_2492.JPG IMG_2495.JPG IMG_2497.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #5,934 of 5,992
OMG, just been playing through some track's the bass is WAY better with these new pads, not just louder but more controlled and and precise. This has just made my day its like listening to a new set of headphones again.

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #5,935 of 5,992
Hi All,

I've been following this thread for a long time now, and I purchased the PRO 900i last week. It has been a few years since I last had an Ultrasone on my ears, but I've always been curious to their new range (the PRO900 in particular). They're quite hard to find around here, but I decided to pull the trigger on a pair from Germany.

First impressions:
Nicely build, even though they're all plastic, and very comfortable. Large cans, but I knew this from my old HFI-2200 so no surprise there. The headband is pretty comfortable I must say, and improvement imho.

Soundwise: LOADS of detail, TONS of low-end and very crisp highs. Mids are a bit recessed, but the imaging makes up for this! They do like amplification, but once you do, Tidal Masters sound heavenly.
It's a sound signature I like: detail, good sounding (and detailled, not boomy) low-end and crystal clear treble. I'm sold! Oh yeah, as already mentioned here; piano and acoustic guitar sounds magnificent on these cans!

cheers!

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #5,938 of 5,992
Hello! new member here looking for some help.

I just got my second pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's. I've had the first one for like 6 months and I'm very happy with them after doing the Kees mod. (Bought both pairs second hand, so I don't know what earlier owners have done to them, but I think the both looked untampered with).

First thing i did with the second pair now was to perform the exact same mod as I did to the first one. But while I'm perfectly happy with the first pairs flat response, the new ones seems to have ALOT more bass. They sound really boomy and dosn't have the nice flat response at all that I'm used to from the first pair. I've tried what I can do to make them sound the same. (Redoing the mod with perfect precision, swapping the pads and cable between the two and so on.)

Could it be that the new one doesn't have the same hours on them? They shure looks used, and burning in wouldn't lower the bass that much over time i guess? Seems odd.

But what I found was this, the old ones seems to have something over the terminals. Resistor? I'm really bad at the electronics. Could it be a mod from old owner? Or original and removed on the second pair? Or is it just different revisions from the manufacturer? But for such a good pair of headphones, the difference in sound seems abit too much for just beeing between revisions. Anyone got a clue?

Old ones:
IMG_20171128_174142.jpg

New ones (I removed some of the paper from the right ones driver):
IMG_20171128_174138.jpg

The old one closeup:
IMG_20171128_174131.jpg

Anyone got a clue? cheers / Anders

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #5,939 of 5,992
Soundwise: LOADS of detail, TONS of low-end and very crisp highs. Mids are a bit recessed, but the imaging makes up for this! They do like amplification, but once you do, Tidal Masters sound heavenly.
It's a sound signature I like: detail, good sounding (and detailled, not boomy) low-end and crystal clear treble. I'm sold! Oh yeah, as already mentioned here; piano and acoustic guitar sounds magnificent on these cans!

Can you give a contrast and comparison for this description of "clear treble" "detailed" with other products. To me, it was artificial and had shallow tonal characteristics. With no better detail extraction than my vintage lesliw w4, 8.000 German maestro which are pretty bad headphones (i like my customized leslies tho) Maybe there is a unmarked factor of physical differences between people who just hate it and people who love it. Also, hearing loss could be a major factor for this headphone design. this headphone sounds too sparkly, trying to sound "crispy" and lacks high frequency body.

But that's more of a preference, the treble is enhanced. But most of my music, including lots of electronica, jazz and pop needs those high frequency bodies to sound normal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back