Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #5,897 of 5,992
The DT880? Strong less forgiving highs, +20db bass that extends as low as possible.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #5,898 of 5,992
The DT880? Strong less forgiving highs, +20db bass that extends as low as possible.

Sorry, I meant Ultrasone Performance 880.

Or either Ultrasone Signature DJ or Ultrasone DJ One Pro. Any ultrasone related coparsion would help me personally out more because I only tested one Beyer and it was an entry level at that time 
frown.gif

Long story short, I want to buy a new ultrasone headphone. I have a DJ One Pro and know how Sig Dj sounds like. I can't really afford Sig Dj at the moment and am looking over the other options like Performance 880 or Pro900. I need really really good detail retrieval, good bass, sparkly strong treble and soundstage that goes way out of your head - like HD800. 

Dj one pro has some of those things - but Ie800 from sennheiser retrieves so much more details, especially in the mid range or you can hear more textures on electronic music that it's insane.

I am looking for a headphone that could do this (?) 

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #5,900 of 5,992
Budget? I'd be inclined not to recommend Pro 900.

The budget directive is to spend as little as possible - so if Ultrasone 880 could be better - that would be great. 

One thing that might make me not want pro900 is the sound leakage - I need extreme isolation so the sound doesn't leak - I live with my wife. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #5,901 of 5,992
Ahh that limits your options. If you like detail I've enjoyed the DT770 over the Pro 900 (YMMV) while still having good bass. The Pro 900 would still be worth it though if you get a good deal.

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #5,902 of 5,992
Ahh that limits your options. If you like detail I've enjoyed the DT770 over the Pro 900 (YMMV) while still having good bass. The Pro 900 would still be worth it though if you get a good deal.

Also, my history with headphones - I somewhat like ultrasone Sig Dj and Dj one pro, I love grado signature in general, I love only HD800S and ie800 from Sennheiser - the rest are too dark and veiled for me, and I borderline liked ATH a700x... 

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #5,904 of 5,992
That's an awesome budget. I'd be being an EMU Teak if possible :p or TH-X00

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #5,905 of 5,992

Sorry, I meant Ultrasone Performance 880.

Or either Ultrasone Signature DJ or Ultrasone DJ One Pro. Any ultrasone related coparsion would help me 

I haven't tried the 880, but I have tried the Performance 840 and the Pro 900i back to back. The 840 sound signature was much less V-shaped than the 900i. (This was with only 20 hours or so of break in.) Actually, the new-ish 840 was in between my well-worn HFI-580s and the new-ish 900i in a lot of ways: It was more comfortable than the 580, but not as comfortable as the 900i. The sound quality was more refined than the 580, but not as refined as the 900i. The sound signature was more bass-heavy than the 580, but not as bass-heavy as the 900i.

Obviously, the 840 is different than the 880, but hopefully this will give you some point of reference.

P.S. I found the DT770 almost unlistenable, but I have a high-mid sensitivity right where they have a spike.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #5,906 of 5,992
I haven't tried the 880, but I have tried the Performance 840 and the Pro 900i back to back. The 840 sound signature was much less V-shaped than the 900i. (This was with only 20 hours or so of break in.) Actually, the new-ish 840 was in between my well-worn HFI-580s and the new-ish 900i in a lot of ways: It was more comfortable than the 580, but not as comfortable as the 900i. The sound quality was more refined than the 580, but not as refined as the 900i. The sound signature was more bass-heavy than the 580, but not as bass-heavy as the 900i.

Obviously, the 840 is different than the 880, but hopefully this will give you some point of reference.

P.S. I found the DT770 almost unlistenable, but I have a high-mid sensitivity right where they have a spike.

That is very helpful!

Thank you very much for your thoughts!

From what I gather, pro900 is generally slightly better than performance series, but I am afraid of a few things : first is how much does the bass bleed into other frequency areas . How fast is the bass (I like my bass really dry and fast) and how well does it isolate.... Living with my wife, isolation is kinda important, can't really buy pro900 if it doesn't isolate well - this being the main reason I'm not getting gradients even tho I love their sound.

That's an awesome budget. I'd be being an EMU Teak if possible :p or TH-X00

Neither isn't available in Romania ... Being able to buy locally I'd a big part of what I'm trying to get..

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #5,907 of 5,992
Loving with my wife, isolation is kinda important, can't really buy pro900 if it doesn't isolate well

If you listen to music with your wife next to you or let's say the two of you are in the same room she will certainly hear what you are listening!.
The 900s do not isolate well for a closed can!

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #5,908 of 5,992

If you listen to music with your wife next to you or let's say the two of you are in the same room she will certainly hear what you are listening!.
The 900s do not isolate well for a closed can!

Thanks! 

That is something I really needed to know 
biggrin.gif

We live in the same room most of time and she actually asks me to not increase the volume of my headphones too much - as we don't listen to the same type of music anymore... 

Which is bad because I love me a V shaped signature with a good soundstage and I really think I would like Pro900. Especially if the treble is sparkly enough for me peculiar tastes in music. 

Guess the only real options are Sig Pro and performance 880 then... 

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #5,909 of 5,992
It is really a shame that you can't get these cans because of this issue with the sound leakage because they are trully spectacular,especially when it comes to EDM.
But i have to be honest,as much as i love them they bleed too much even at moderate volume levels and this is the main reason why i can' t go portable with them.
In fact i just bought the Momentum 2.0 because of that,just to have a pair of cans that isolate well,are comfy enough and i can wear them outside without people staring at me all the time!

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #5,910 of 5,992
I do not believe someone listening on his/her headphones would hear your music. Side note: finally done with repair/upgrade/mod of mine. Now head is pushed gently all round.Back is done with adaptive velcro, so I can take it off or change foam in seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back