Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #5,686 of 5,992

When properly amped, I would indeed call the 2900 a bass-head open-back. But it's more than that. It's like high quality speakers. Something in the treble makes it special, it reaches high and far, and feels very energetic. It is certainly on the sharp side with the treble, so if you were sensitive, I'd be careful. It's very bright! Pro 900 doesn't sound as bright to me, but that's probably because of its HUGE bass.

I feel like I'm in the recording studio hearing all kinds of details I've never heard before in any headphone. I started off with the PRO 900, but ever since I got the 2900, I find myself reaching for it more. It's my new favorite hp.

It's an outstanding headphone, so incredibly detailed and clear through the whole frequency spectrum.
If you could only have one, and provided you can properly amp it, I'd pick 2900. You could always EQ up the bass a bit if you prefer as well. 

For now, I feel like the Pro 900 overwhelms with the bass. The 2900 pulls back in bass (quite a few notches) so you can hear the beauty of the whole song, not primarily booming bass. The bass of the 2900 is still excellent, just smaller (and what headphone isn't if comparing it to the 900?!). The open back also gives it a more airy transparent sound, which makes for an excellent soundstage. 

If you "hate" a recessed midrange, I think you should certainly go for the 2900. That's easy. It pushes vocals out further in front than the 900. For me, I love having them both. 

totally agree with you! the pro 2900 are one of the most underrated hp ever made. They sound so freakin good but dont get a lot of reviews. It has been my hp for the past 3 years. I have heard many high end cans like t1,lcd2,he600,he500,hd800,etc and i still like the pro 2900's signature better. pair it with a good amp and hear the amazing quality!

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #5,687 of 5,992
Hey guys quick question. Is the serial number that is stuck on the side of the headband on the Pro 900 unique to each person's can or is it the standard for the Pro 900 model? To be more specific, I mean the sticker that is usually stuck on the opposite side of the headband to the "Made In Taiwan" sticker. The white sticker that has a 10-digit number. I am asking because if they are unique to each headphone and are numbered in some pattern, maybe we can use that number as a way to gauge the production age of each can. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #5,688 of 5,992
My impressions.

Bought me a set of these last week, i've been using Beyer DT990/600's for the past year with no prior audiophile equipment type experience. I found the beyers to do everything i wanted but although they aparently have the "V" shaped EQ signature i was always left rather underwhelmed in the bass department, dont get me wrong i appreciate the quality of the bass it can produce, but its quanitity is minimal in my opinion.

Anyway my search for more bass (ok i admit i'm a bit of a basshead), lead me to search here after reading pages upon pages of threads i finally landed up on a decision to buy a set of these Ultrasone Pro 900's alongside a Matrix M Stage amp to replace my Little Dot MK2. These were a blind gamble costing me £385. (amp + headphones)

Now im no *real* audiophile, im not going to sit hear and tell you how the treble sibiliance at 12khz is slightly too sharp or the sounstage size down to the square meter but i'll say the following...

Out the box i plugged them into the LD MK2 (i hadnt recieved M Stage at this point), listened to a few tracks (95% of what i listen to is EDM), and was utterly dissapointed, i know people said the mids were reccessed but it sounded genuinely awful to the point i couldnt believe i just shelled out £250 on them, close to putting them straight back on eBay. I listened a bit more and the bass was quite overwhelming, loose and wobbly with a long decay, terble sounded OK, but perhaps not quite as detailed as i had hoped, with very distant mids. I put them down for the day and thought i'd wait until the M stage arrived, afterall i read the LD MK2 was an OTL amp and perhaps not very good for these cans.

Que the arrival of the M Stage, i plugged them in and immediatley noticed a difference, the most noticeable was the bass was now under tight control, brilliant a step in the right direction, infact everything on the whole sounded better, but those mids....still nowhere to be seen.

I have since given them a chance and listened for about 10-12 hours, even in this small time the whole sound is growing on me and the mids and finally starting to come out their shell. These headphones are loud and slamming, definately every EDM / D&B / Dubstep dream, it slams and has force behind it, but the M Stage keeps it up control. Highs are now detailed and slightly bright but not fatiguing. I hope with time these will get better and im sure they will, its well documented they start sounding their best after 100+ hours.

Plugging the beyers in afterwards and you immediately pick up slight detail, they have a more delicate sound, something i guess Beyers are good for. The beyers are far better for gaming too IMO. But apart from that, they might start gathering dust on the shelf for a while.

I look forward to the next 100 hours of listening :)

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #5,689 of 5,992
is there a  high gain switch on the mstage?  i tend to put my bcl on high gain when i listen to the pro900..
the mids come forward a notch. 

enjoy your pro900...once u get/tweaked a sweetspot, its sonic nirvana. 
the pro900 rivals my top cans. ...control...clarity...space...depth. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #5,690 of 5,992
  is there a  high gain switch on the mstage?  i tend to put my bcl on high gain when i listen to the pro900..
the mids come forward a notch. 

enjoy your pro900...once u get/tweaked a sweetspot, its sonic nirvana. 
the pro900 rivals my top cans. ...control...clarity...space...depth. 

Yes there are switches on the bottom to select, 0dB, 10dB, 18dB and 20dB of gain. I use the 10dB gain on the pro 900's and the beyers, works well.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #5,692 of 5,992
Hey guys, I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones, because my V-Moda M100s were stolen last week. For edm and hip-hop the M100s did pretty well. I loved their appearance and great build quality as well.

However, I am considering going a different route. I need a set of headphones that will perform well with hip hop and edm (all other genres do not matter, as I do have other headphones for that).

I am expecting some biased opinions considering that I am in the Pro 900 appreciation, and I do apologize for asking this question here, but I felt that if I wanted some good opinions this would be the best place.

Should I get the Pro 900s or re-buy the M100s... Sound is more important than anything

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #5,693 of 5,992
Hey guys, I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones, because my V-Moda M100s were stolen last week. For edm and hip-hop the M100s did pretty well. I loved their appearance and great build quality as well.

However, I am considering going a different route. I need a set of headphones that will perform well with hip hop and edm (all other genres do not matter, as I do have other headphones for that).

I am expecting some biased opinions considering that I am in the Pro 900 appreciation, and I do apologize for asking this question here, but I felt that if I wanted some good opinions this would be the best place.

Should I get the Pro 900s or re-buy the M100s... Sound is more important than anything

Have them both and prefer the Pro900 in just about every way, especially the bass. Epic.

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #5,694 of 5,992
So blew out my right speaker to my Pro 900's. Anyone know how to go about getting them fixed. I tried getting in contact with Ultrasone, but its been over a month and they haven't responded back yet. These headphone are amazing! I would hate to have to buy them again. Which I probably will.

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #5,695 of 5,992
  So blew out my right speaker to my Pro 900's. Anyone know how to go about getting them fixed. I tried getting in contact with Ultrasone, but its been over a month and they haven't responded back yet. These headphone are amazing! I would hate to have to buy them again. Which I probably will.

This may help you:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/518319/ultrasones-commitment-to-customer-service

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #5,697 of 5,992
Have them both and prefer the Pro900 in just about every way, especially the bass. Epic.

Pro 900 it is.

edit: and I managed to score some used ones in mint condition for $270. If me no like... I should be able to sell them without a loss. I was very skeptical about ordering them. They seem to be one of the most mentioned headphone on this forum, with tons of mixed reviews (lots of bad ones). But as long as they perform well with edm and hip hop, I am happy.

I'll post a short review and compare them to the M100s once I have used them for a few weeks.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #5,698 of 5,992
The Pro 900 shine with the GO-DAP X. Everything is SO tight, and sounds crazy with EDM music. The GO DAP X is a DAC+AMP for Ipod and MAC or PC. It's like a complete solution for me. The Vamp Verza seems to have the same/similar functionality, and also probably sounds great, but would probably be a little more expensive.

If you have the money, go this direction! It's just fantastic and makes me so happy. Worth the additional cost, it makes them so much better!

The Pro 900 likes juice!

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #5,699 of 5,992
Can anyone who has both the Pro 900 and the Alpha Dogs do a comparison for us Ultrasone owners please? I am really curious that aside from the bass and subjective qualities (sound signature preference), how much better/worse the Alpha Dogs are in the objective categories (soundstage, imaging, airiness etc) compared to the top line Ultrasone models (Pro 900, SigDJ/Pro, ED8 etc). Thanks in advance if anyone is willing to do this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back