Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #5,671 of 5,992
  If you have any questions, let me know! 900 and 2900 are both awesome, although very different.

ok-ok...
biggrin.gif
  so here we go... two more questions:

1 - so Pro 900 is an extreme HP? but would you say that it's nonetheless an "serious" audiophile headphone? or just an extremely colored and fun can... like a toy to wow your friends (and yourself)?

2 -  could you compare Pro 2900 with other open-back bassy headphones?

thx in advance, i really appreciate your comments.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #5,672 of 5,992
  ok-ok...
biggrin.gif
  so here we go... two more questions:

1 - so Pro 900 is an extreme HP? but would you say that it's nonetheless an "serious" audiophile headphone? or just an extremely colored and fun can... like a toy to wow your friends (and yourself)?

2 -  could you compare Pro 2900 with other open-back bassy headphones?

thx in advance, i really appreciate your comments.

1) This is a hard question. It's very colored, and by definition, that's not "audiophile" as i think of it. But at the same time, it is, because it's clear, high resolution and great sound. It's just got major emphasis on bass and pulled back mids.

2) Can't really. I tried the beyer 990, and I didn't like it much. That one seemed to have crazy recessed mids, and very very bright highs. Other than that, I haven't owned too many other open backs. The Pro 2500 was nice, but the 2900 is better. The 2900 will certainly wow your friends and yourself too.

I wish I could just have you come over and listen. It's very hard to describe sound, the ears work as a better judge.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #5,673 of 5,992
  2) Can't really. I tried the beyer 990, and I didn't like it much. That one seemed to have crazy recessed mids, and very very bright highs. Other than that, I haven't owned too many other open backs. The Pro 2500 was nice, but the 2900 is better. The 2900 will certainly wow your friends and yourself too.

i saw a d2000 in your profile... not an open-back but how is its bass vs. pro 2900? both quantity and quality.
does the pro 2900 still hit decently hard for a bass-head?

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #5,674 of 5,992

i saw a d2000 in your profile... not an open-back but how is its bass vs. pro 2900? both quantity and quality.
does the pro 2900 still hit decently hard for a bass-head?

It's hard to compare them. First, my Denon is modded, so that might affect the bass in ways i'm not sure of.
Second, Denon's are known to focus on sub bass, while ultrasone's tend to be more about mid-bass.

These factors make it hard to compare them. Overall, I like the quality of the bass on the 2900 more, it does hit hard enough for me. I do think, though, that the Denon has more quantity because it is closed. That's just kind of a tradeoff with open vs closed. Better soundstage, but closed can give a little more bass quantity.

If amped OR unamped, the resolution and detail retrieval of the 2900 is superior to the 2000 without question. I'm a bass-head, all the headphones I've liked are bass heavy, and I still love the 2900. Again, it's not as bassy as 900 (where the bass is the total focus) , but it deff has great deep bass and it sounds wonderful. The 2900 bass just blends in with the mix more, while with the 900 it's like "look at me, look at me!!!!" The 2900 has bass that pounds when it needs to, and doesn't when it shouldn't. They are NOT at all bass shy.

From someone who has owned all three, I'd again suggest the 2900. If I could have only one, with no hesitation I'd say 2900. I'm reaching for it more than the others. Unbelievable resolution (main advantage to me), great open sound, great bass, fun and impressive sound to show off to friends. 

The one complaint I can certainly see someone having here is with the highs, it can be fatiguing on certain tracks, it extends all the way up there... But that's the reason they have the crazy clarity that they have.
If you do end up going for the 2900, don't judge right away. It needs to be burned 100-200 hours before you listen.

When I switch from 2900 to 900, it can feel like the 900 has too much (read overwhelming) bass. It just doesn't always sound right, but sometimes sounds awesome.

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #5,675 of 5,992

I don't have the 750 here to compare directly but they sounded every bit as good as the 900 to me just with less bass quantity. And I'm talking only less quantity not quality. I found the bass quality even better on the 750. The bass on the 900 is so emphasized that it actually hurts itself. I didn't even think that would be possible before I tried the 900 but sure enough, some of the amazing bass texture I loved with the 750s gets "boomed over" by the 900's bass quantity. I don't want to take anyone's love of the PRO 900 away from them (if you want ridiculous amounts of bass quantity they are still the ones to get) but I personally recommend the PRO 750 over the PRO 900. Its still a bassy 'phone and actually has more perceivable bass texture and bass detail compared to the 900 it just has a little bit less bass quantity so the bass doesn't overtake the other frequencies as much, or sound as boomy, or hurt your ears as much at high volume. Other than that I found the two to be basically identical.

I have to agree. I started with the Pro 900, and later on bought the pro 750. I really love the 750. They are both awesome headphones, with the 900 being more of a bass monster. I think the 750 thus serves as a better all rounder, they are really fantastic for just about any genre. The bass on the 750 is abundant and excellent, but not QUITE as extreme as the pro 900 in terms of quantity and impact.

Also, the Pro 2900 is beautiful! That headphone is the winner of clean detailed UltraSone sound. The 2900 is the one you forget that makes you forget that you are wearing headphones, it is that clear.  Less bass quantity on this one than the other two, but great bass, and so so much resolution. If the other two are 720p, this is 1080p.

Owning all 3 finally made me stop buying more headphones. I love Ultrasone Pro Headphones, they completely surround you in music, like no other brand. I can cry sometimes with the beauty of listening to them.

A few days ago I started using the PRO 900 some more and I've warmed up to them a bit. I think I was taking a really analytic approach when I first got them rather than just trying to enjoy them. Don't get me wrong, the overly emphasized bass is still there but it hasn't been bothering me nearly as much. I would still perfer the PRO 750, personally, but they are both good. The PRO 900 is definitely a "fun" headphone meaning if you're looking for accuracy and an analytical headphone you'll probably be bothered by the bass quantity, at least with some music.

I'm glad I have the PRO 900 though. I picked up the extra short 0.8m cable from Ultrasone, which comes with the 750 but not the 900, and thanks to how efficient they are, combined with the short cable, they are really handy for use with my smartphone and tablet.

The position of the cups relative to your ear can make a big difference. I like to push the cups back toward the back of my head until the midrange comes through a little bit better and then no further. That's exactly how it was with the 750s. I think with the 900s you basically get a 750 with added bass quantity. Personally I don't think adding bass quantity to the 750s is a very good thing but others might like it. But don't discount the 750. I got mine for just $165 on sale on Amazon and at that price they are amazing. If you don't need artificially high levels of bass quantity I recommend the 750 instead because of the price difference, though I was able to get my 900s brand new for just $220 so its a toss-up in that case.

People should choose between the 750 & 900 based on how much bass quantity they need versus the price they can get them at.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #5,676 of 5,992

A few days ago I started using the PRO 900 some more and I've warmed up to them a bit. I think I was taking a really analytic approach when I first got them rather than just trying to enjoy them. Don't get me wrong, the overly emphasized bass is still there but it hasn't been bothering me nearly as much. I would still perfer the PRO 750, personally, but they are both good. The PRO 900 is definitely a "fun" headphone meaning if you're looking for accuracy and an analytical headphone you'll probably be bothered by the bass quantity, at least with some music.

I'm glad I have the PRO 900 though. I picked up the extra short 0.8m cable from Ultrasone, which comes with the 750 but not the 900, and thanks to how efficient they are, combined with the short cable, they are really handy for use with my smartphone and tablet.

The position of the cups relative to your ear can make a big difference. I like to push the cups back toward the back of my head until the midrange comes through a little bit better and then no further. That's exactly how it was with the 750s. I think with the 900s you basically get a 750 with added bass quantity. Personally I don't think adding bass quantity to the 750s is a very good thing but others might like it. But don't discount the 750. I got mine for just $165 on sale on Amazon and at that price they are amazing. If you don't need artificially high levels of bass quantity I recommend the 750 instead because of the price difference, though I was able to get my 900s brand new for just $220 so its a toss-up in that case. People should choose between the 750 & 900 based on how much bass quantity they need versus the price they can get them at.

You raise some really good points here. The two are very similar (900 and 750) except that the 900 has more bass and more recessed mids. When properly amped, it sounds to me like the pro 900 maybe somewhat more detailed, but i'm not certain about that. And yes, for the price, the Pro 750 is an outstanding value. I think people should ignore the HFI line and jump straight to the Pro's, you get a much better sound for not much more money.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #5,678 of 5,992
  Also, if you're running them (900) straight out of you tablet or smartphone, you aren't getting the full effect. The bass improves and overall sound with proper amplification.

Yeah I agree. The 900 improves out of my D-Zero and even more-so out of my G109. When I'm using it with the tablet or smartphone I usually amp them with the D-Zero but its nice that they are efficient enough that I can quickly grab them and plug them straight into a device and still get enough volume and pretty good sound quality. I think the 750 and 900 are both great portables if you can handle the fact that they are full-sized. I love how they fold flat and the build quality is excellent so if the size isn't too much for your tastes they are a great portable set for traveling and around the house, etc.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #5,679 of 5,992
i listen to classicals on my pro900... on the audiogd dac/amp, it is well marshalled, nothing loose. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #5,680 of 5,992
I'll shut-up about the 2900 at some point, but a new way I can describe it is that it seems to have like tweeters (usually found on speakers) for the highs.
The highs are so crisp and sharp, and it just sounds amazing for EDM music. I like the way the highs sound more on the 2900 than 900. 
To me, the 900 does bass great (and it's nice to have a closed hp sometimes) , but the 2900 nails bass AND treble, and a sweeter mid-range. Did I mention the 3d like soundstage? I just love it.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #5,681 of 5,992
I'll shut-up about the 2900 at some point, but a new way I can describe it is that it seems to have like tweeters (usually found on speakers) for the highs.
The highs are so crisp and sharp, and it just sounds amazing for EDM music. I like the way the highs sound more on the 2900 than 900. 
To me, the 900 does bass great (and it's nice to have a closed hp sometimes) , but the 2900 nails bass AND treble, and a sweeter mid-range. Did I mention the 3d like soundstage? I just love it.

You are either a poet or a great salesman...
Either way, my wallet has a message for you:
"Stop it!" LOL :wink:. :wink: :wink:

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #5,683 of 5,992
At the same time, I don't want to discredit the D2000 or the 900 because they are both GREAT headphones too. I am very happy owning all three of them. Sometimes, you just need a slightly different signature, and owning more than one satisfies that need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back