Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #257 of 5,992
Anyone have experience with both Beyer DT770 and Ultrasone PRO900? If you do would you be able to comment on how they compare, sound-leak wise?

Assuming the PRO900's construction is similar to the 550's, they leak too much for my needs; I wanted to know how the beyers would compare in that regard.

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #259 of 5,992

Quote:
Hmm..heres a question.

Anyone aware of a set of closed headphones with the SQ(Highs/Mids/Lows/Soundstage) of the PRO900's, with a punchy bass you can "feel", but have no noticeable leaks and decent isolation?

I don't have the Pro 900 yet (they're on their way and should be here by the weekend) but from what you're looking for, the Sennheiser HD25-1/II would fit quite well. Punchy bass, neutral but pleasant mids, detailed and crisp highs, and on top of all: excellent isolation. Bass and isolation are really top drawer; just amazing for the size. And they're built to last with pro applications in mind. Very compact and almost impossible to destroy - even when you try hard. Easily driven with no need for an amp. Two - minor - downsides, though: The headstage is not that extended and the pressure on the ears is significant and may be a nuisance for folks who have a problem with that. I have three pairs. Two are in use by me and the third one by my 12 y. old daughter - for drumming.
smile.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #260 of 5,992

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm..heres a question.

Anyone aware of a set of closed headphones with the SQ(Highs/Mids/Lows/Soundstage) of the PRO900's, with a punchy bass you can "feel", but have no noticeable leaks and decent isolation?

I don't have the Pro 900 yet (they're on their way and should be here by the weekend) but from what you're looking for, the Sennheiser HD25-1/II would fit quite well. Punchy bass, neutral but pleasant mids, detailed and crisp highs, and on top of all: excellent isolation. Bass and isolation are really top drawer; just amazing for the size. And they're built to last with pro applications in mind. Very compact and almost impossible to destroy - even when you try hard. Easily driven with no need for an amp. Two - minor - downsides, though: The headstage is not that extended and the pressure on the ears is significant and may be a nuisance for folks who have a problem with that. I have three pairs. Two are in use by me and the third one by my 12 y. old daughter - for drumming.
smile.gif

Senn HD25-II are very good portable/DJ headphones that have great isolation for a headphone (can't match IEMs) incredible for a supra-aural, however their sound signature does not compare similarly with the Pro900 and the SQ is not in the same league IMO.  It is probably not a good idea to make comparisons against the Pro900 until you have had some headtime with them. And if you have had headtime with them, then you have very different ears to me to advise someone that HD25 is similar to Pro900 with better isolation.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #261 of 5,992

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm..heres a question.

smile.gif

Senn HD25-II are very good portable/DJ headphones that have great isolation for a headphone (can't match IEMs) incredible for a supra-aural, however their sound signature does not compare similarly with the Pro900 and the SQ is not in the same league IMO.  It is probably not a good idea to make comparisons against the Pro900 until you have had some headtime with them. And if you have had headtime with them, then you have very different ears to me to advise someone that HD25 is similar to Pro900 with better isolation.

I've tried the HD25's before, wasn't really impressed :/ I also much prefer circum-aural over supra

Right now I have my gaze on the HFI580's & DT770s. I'm just afraid as to how much the DT770s leak, so I asked a comparison with the PRO900's leak-wise. C:

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #262 of 5,992

I have both, but I don't know about leaking.  Is there a way I can test the leak for you?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm..heres a question.

smile.gif

I've tried the HD25's before, wasn't really impressed :/ I also much prefer circum-aural over supra

Right now I have my gaze on the HFI580's & DT770s. I'm just afraid as to how much the DT770s leak, so I asked a comparison with the PRO900's leak-wise. C:

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #263 of 5,992

Quote:
I have both, but I don't know about leaking.  Is there a way I can test the leak for you?

Yes!

Well..there's only one way I could think of actually, if you listen to the DT770s at moderate, moderately-loud, and loud listening volumes, and ask a nearby friend if they can hear? and repeat the process with the PRO900's and see how much of a difference there is?

I can't think of any other way >.>

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #264 of 5,992

Quote:

Gulity as charged. I haven't had a chance yet to listen to the Pro900. My mentioning of the HD25 II was based on two characteristics that many assessments of the Pro900 comprise: a) Deep, punchy, well extended and slightly exaggerated but well controlled and not overpowering or bloated bass and b) present, highly resolving highs with a slight tendency towards sibilance. These are characteristics that could as well describe the HD25 II. Add the isolation and there's my statement.
smile.gif

But yes, these traits don't characterize a headphone sufficiently and thus this was not that good an idea. I tried to make clear how I perceive the HD25 II per se, not claiming that it sounds the same as the 900, but doing this as an answer to Scytus' question obviously was misleading. Sorry for that!

Quote:
Scytus said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, this makes things fully clear (and confirms my remark regarding the pressure on the ears
wink.gif
).

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #265 of 5,992
I've had the 900s for about 2 weeks now and love them. I've noticed that I get some slight microphonics when I open my jaw wide and close again - it appears to be coming from the cup stretching away from the headband (jaw open) and when it comes back it makes a slight tap (jaw closed).

The sound can be recreated by lowering your jaw a little and moving it left and right - this should cause the cups to tap against the headband. It's not a deal breaker but it is annoying and I didn't notice this problem on the Pro 750. Anyone else have this issue or similar?

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #266 of 5,992
All I wanted a nice pair of close phones to substitute SR-80 and now I got stuck with ATH-M50 (sold), HFI-570, DT770 PRO 80, and E7/E9 (ordered) and now I put in a BO on ebay for PRO 900.
This is crazy and I would have never guessed that it would get to this point! But it seems like there's always something missing from each of them. M50 had a bit muddy bass with recessed mid. I liked 580 but wished a bit more bass oomph and I can't stand the clamping + pads (I wear glasses). 770 so far has not impressed me in mid/high yet. I have not used with an amp but I don't think adding an amp will make changes in the mid/high that would persuade me otherwise.

What would be a perfect can for me is HFI-580 with a bit more bass (tight, not loose) and better comfort. Does that sound like PRO 990? If so, I will be forever grateful, Jibbie. If not, I will hunt you down and make you listen to Justin Bieber for hours on end
very_evil_smiley.gif

By the way, when I am done with this (really hoping PRO 900 is IT) I will have a lot of stuff for sale
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #267 of 5,992
I have a feeling that you'll love the Pro 900 
biggrin.gif
Great bass (if not more quantity than the HFI 580s, then definitely higher quality).
Mids sound good, highs are sparkly, and for a closed can, soundstage is damn impressive.

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #268 of 5,992
Hey Jibbie, I'm considering upgrading to a Matrix M Stage amp, I currently have a Practical Devices XM4 which I bought just for the bass boost feature and it works pretty well, but I really could use a change. How is the bass with the M Stage? I'm hoping it would be tight and robust with plenty of depth/extension and impact.. With the XM4 it's like a night and day difference with the bass boost on with certain tracks, especially bass heavy dubstep and electronica, and I'd prefer to not have to rely on the boost all the time to get the effect I'm looking for as some songs (rock and industrial) sound too muddy and convoluted with it. If you were to upgrade from the M Stage, what amp would you decide on? I'm currently burning in my 2nd pair of Pro 900s, I had to get a replacement after I busted my first pair (had to leave for L.A. for 5 days and decided to burn in my phones during that time, but I put the volume on too loud and screwed up the drivers I guess, sound was only coming out of one channel.. fcking idiot I was). Fortunately Buyauthorized sent me an RMA and did a seamless exchange, highly recommended for sure. The 2nd pair didn't totally wow me like the 1st one did but it's slowly getting back there again and hopefully with the M Stage or something I'll be addicted once more :)

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #269 of 5,992

Quote:
I have a feeling that you'll love the Pro 900 
biggrin.gif
Great bass (if not more quantity than the HFI 580s, then definitely higher quality).
Mids sound good, highs are sparkly, and for a closed can, soundstage is damn impressive.

That's what I was afraid of on the PRO900's. Regardless of how much the sound matches my preferences, the PRO900's leak too much sound for my use. Though I remember reading Wind016's impressions, with him being disappointed in the amount of bass (after experiencing the HFI-580s). I'm not sure if that disappointment was because it was at the same level of the HFI's and didn't improve, or was just less impactful overall.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #270 of 5,992
Hate to say it Scytus, but this headphone you're searching for doesn't seem to exist. If leakage/isolation is your top priority, you'll want to look into some IEMs; as headphones will never match them in those aspects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back