Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #2,131 of 5,992
Finally got my pro 900's. They surprisingly sound really good out the headphone out of the zune 120. No amp. No special DAC. And it still sounds **** good. The bass is a lot more accurate and just perfect for a basshead like me. I can't wait to amp these. The pro 900's are beating the westone 3's in pretty much every way maybe a little less isolation. I dont think I like listening to westone 3's anymore they kinda have the same signature more forward mids than the pro 900's but the pro 900's just overall out do the W3's. But i guess the W3's will still be good for portability.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #2,132 of 5,992
Can someone tell me how this music sounds on the PRO 900?

This is what I want to listen to on the PRO 900...

Edit: This is one of the more hardcore tracks I listen to, I was wondering if the bass becomes muddy, or simply too much/unbearable, or is it still intact and distinct, clean-cut and powerful, club-like atmosphere? Does it move air, or sound distant?

Here is a link to a higher quality version http://grooveshark.com/#/s/Destillat+vnv+Nation+Remix+/3T0uEB?src=5

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #2,133 of 5,992

Quote:
Finally got my pro 900's. They surprisingly sound really good out the headphone out of the zune 120. No amp. No special DAC. And it still sounds **** good. The bass is a lot more accurate and just perfect for a basshead like me. I can't wait to amp these. The pro 900's are beating the westone 3's in pretty much every way maybe a little less isolation. I dont think I like listening to westone 3's anymore they kinda have the same signature more forward mids than the pro 900's but the pro 900's just overall out do the W3's. But i guess the W3's will still be good for portability.

Welcome to the club. When I first heard my Pro 900s, I immediately knew that these would forever stay in my collection of headphones. They do have a few flaws, but their strengths are so sweet. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2,134 of 5,992

Quote:
Can someone tell me how this music sounds on the PRO 900?

This is what I want to listen to on the PRO 900...

Edit: This is one of the more hardcore tracks I listen to, I was wondering if the bass becomes muddy, or simply too much/unbearable, or is it still intact and distinct, clean-cut and powerful, club-like atmosphere? Does it move air, or sound distant?

Here is a link to a higher quality version http://grooveshark.com/#/s/Destillat+vnv+Nation+Remix+/3T0uEB?src=5

Heya,

Good thing you posted a higher quality track, that YouTube track was awful sounding (congested, compressed, muddy). I'm listening to the track on GrooveShark. The sound in general is congested and muddy, but that's the song. There's not a lot of low end bass in this song compared to other songs. Sound stage is excellent though, pretty cool with them playing with channel effects too. I'm not being beaten down at all by big bass in this song in my Pro 900's. This song just doesn't have a lot of low end bass, it's all mids and some higher mid-bass. I say that because the track I posted yesterday on the previous page has bass that drops so low your bowels feel it. This particular track you've linked, it doesn't even have impact with it's bass--but that's because of how it's recorded. It's a mish-mash with a lot of feedback effect so you can't hear the beginning nor the end of a bass impact. I'm not being hit with a lot of low bass here at all. Do you have other tracks to test?

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #2,136 of 5,992
How about this track then...
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #2,137 of 5,992

Quote:
How about this track then...
evil_smiley.gif

Great impact, slams hard. Not actually that low of bass though. Just strong discreet bass beats. Very clean though. This kind of clean sound lets you really tell the difference between a driver that has a fast recovery and one that doesn't to see which is muddy. The Pro 900 cleans it up. But again, the bass in this track doesn't hit that low. It's just a good example of impact.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #2,138 of 5,992

Quote:
Great impact, slams hard. Not actually that low of bass though. Just strong discreet bass beats. Very clean though. This kind of clean sound lets you really tell the difference between a driver that has a fast recovery and one that doesn't to see which is muddy. The Pro 900 cleans it up. But again, the bass in this track doesn't hit that low. It's just a good example of impact.

Very best,

This is my reference track to test bass impact,dynamics and aggresiveness on headphones.
Yes you are right the bass doesn't gow low though..
I hope that you enjoyed it with your Pro's..
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #2,140 of 5,992

Quote:
I'm sure this has been posted before, but I like this track for bass testing purposes. (drop is about 55s in)

This track is great for showcasing the Pro 900's. The bass gets mean and low. The vocals are very well presented with detail. There's some instrumental to show off it's ability to play something like a piano, male vocals and some throbbing warbling bass with it's sound stage. I don't like the song that much, but as a technical tool to show off the Pro 900's ability to handle the spectrum, it's great.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #2,141 of 5,992
MalVeaux could you post a photo with your EQ settings that you use with foobar?

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #2,142 of 5,992

Quote:
MalVeaux could you post a photo with your EQ settings that you use with foobar?

Heya,

I don't use any EQ settings with Fubar with my Ultrasone Pro 900's.

I only test EQ things on lower end headphones to see if they can be made to sound more something that does the job without an EQ. I also do it just to see what a headphone is capable of before it starts to flub and clip or get distorted. You can bring out the mids more in the Ultrasone Pro 900 if you want to. It is capable. If you want to tone down highs, you can. I find though that if you try to enhance bass with EQ, it distorts. So the Pro 900 is perhaps already where it is in bass and that's it, only amplifying it will speed it up (and further isolation will increase bass response). But there's a lot of wriggle room in mids and highs with an EQ in the Ultrasone Pro 900. I don't EQ mine though simply because I listen to electronic music primarily and haven't found I needed an EQ to achieve the sound I wanted. I like the sound of the Pro 900 for that as it is. If I listen to acoustic in the Pro 900, I have to EQ the mids up or I just reach for another headphone though for example.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #2,143 of 5,992
I also keep EQ flat cause i like the sound just as it is through my Xonar..
I was just wondering if you listen to your 900 equalised,but apparently you don't need it also..
I did try to raise the 55/77Hz bands but with no luck cause i experienced distortion exactly as you did..
I then plugged my E7 to the headphone output of the soundcard with bass boost 1 and it did the trick.
Tight and punchy bass impact as i wanted..
I now have to wait a couple of days for M-stage to arrive and see what is capable of..

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2,144 of 5,992
Biggest drop I've ever heard

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #2,145 of 5,992
where i got my name from!  n.phect drops it on this one.  One of my favs by him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back