ultrasone pro 750 vs. allen and heath Xone
Sep 13, 2012 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

soundjunky

New Head-Fier
HI,
I am going to go into sound engineering in march since its the only thing that interests me. I was searching for weeks online for headphones that produce authentic sound reproduction, so i almost got the ATH-M50. But than I decided myself for the allen n heath xone XD2-53 since it has a much bigger frequency range than the ATH's so I ordered them, but they took too long to arrive so I ordered the Ultrasone pro 750 thinking that they would be better prices originally at about $400 and cancelled the other order.

The pro 750's have just arrived and they are great, but I am looking to produce Dark Psy / psycore that ranges between 150-240 bpm and at some songs that I listen to, the bass is not as aggressive as is sounds on monitor speakers (if I push the bass up on the VLC player it just doesent sound right), and some songs seem to fast for the cans to catch up! I dont know if it is because I have it pluged in directly to the computer or because the titanium drivers are not worn in yet (ive heared it can take up to 200 hours) or if its just the headphone. (n also i dont think they will be loud enough for the mp3 played cause i already have it all the way up)

I am just not sure anymore if maybe the Xone would have been better than the pro 750

I will be very greatfull for ANY atvice or help,

Thanks

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 8
hey! sound engineering is very rewarding and I'm glad you find it interesting.

if you are looking for a headphone suited to mastering, you need more than good frequency range. (i.e frequency extension)
what you really want is a balanced, neutral and relatively flat frequency response.

unfortunately, there are few closed headphones that measure that flat without "missing" information or having flaws that could adversely affect your final output but the Denon D2000 is a rare performer in this category, as is the AKG K550 (IF you can get it fit right and keep a good seal. just search the various k550 threads to see what I mean...) If you are able to use an open headphone, the Beyer-Dynamic dt-880 has excellent clarity for the price. Others swear by the AKG K/Q701, which performs very similar. (the m-50 is also a fantastic value at half the price or less, but some consider it to lack real micro-detail and tight enough low-end)

these cans are all below the $400 you paid and are professionally recommended. (check the measurements AND reviews by Tyll Hertsens at www.innerfidelity.com if you don't believe me.) the only problem you could find is that they don't have an over-emphasized or boosted bass, but for creating music (and not necessarily listening) you really want accurate and reliable response.

Why set flat response as a target, you ask? well, lets put it this way: lets say the headphone you are using has a large bass emphasis. makes it sound great right? for you, sure, but not for those with brighter output devices. those who have systems that lack the same response will never get your song to sound right, and thus hurt your ability to express and convey true music. your monitors, of course, will always seem to have a greater punch in the bass region because they use your whole body and the elements of the studio around you to carry and amplify those low notes. for my production needs, I find that making sure anything you create sounds good through both headphones and stereo speakers allows your listeners to have an enjoyable music experience anywhere.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 8
so you think that I sould replace the Ultrasone pro 750's for the akg's or beyer's? ultasone also swears on balanced and neutural sound, and all the reviews were 5 star, thats why i got them. I just dont know if i should trade them or not. i only want to replace them if i will really hear a difference...
on the ultrasone the bass is not overexegerated at all, its nice and real, but if i turn the volume over 100% on my vlc player the bass has unexapable destortion. I hope its not the headphones fault 
confused.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 8
yep, they are closed back headphones, are open cans in average better in sound quality? i dont really need them to be closed yet, only closed enough for like an airplane ride, but i know that eventually i will need closed ones for the clubs... but not yet. I am plannig on getting cans like arround 1000$ once ive done my education or atleast understand much more about music.
but if open cans are generally much better ill justreplace the ones i have for open ones. my budget ar the moment is anyway at not more than 250, but i found the akg' for 240. do u really think they will better than the ultrasone?

n yeah i only plugged my cans in my new sony vaio e series. i was told that this laptop has a better than average soundcard, but it just wont get lond enough, n i want to be able to plug em in my laptop for when i am outside or on tour...

and thank you very much for your respond ;

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for your response, but they are actually starting to sound better n better. Got like something between 40-50 hours on them now, and the bass and high's are balancing themselves out. I realized that the bass is perfect, i lisened to my friend song that I've heared live, etc. ( http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F ). Its great :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back